Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2019, 07:53 AM

24 posts, read 51,731 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnymarkjiz View Post
Well, as the tech corridor continues to grow and expand, it will be a hotspot. I think that Arlington is basically peaked out, though, as I've seen some old tiny 1940's homes going for over a million dollars just due to location...but honestly, living in Arlington or Alexandria, unless you live near a Metro, isn't worth a million dollars. It's so funny because I grew up in Alexandria and Arlington in the 90s and it was a cheap, ghetto cesspool and now it's considered prime real estate.

I think the next big areas that will be big are the Dulles Tech Corridor. Reston, Herndon, Sterling, Ashburn, Leesburg in the next decade or two will be just as pricey and expensive as Arlington. (It already is in many cases).

But I kinda do agree with the OP, for the area, the pricepoint isn't worth it. This is my home, but it's really nothing particularly special. Its just sad that you can't buy a single family house for a reasonable pricepoint anymore unless you want to live out in the boonies of Faquier County or go way down to Woodbridge or Stafford.
It's incredible mate. Most people I meet now these days will be from anywhere...it's reasonable if you went to UVA and were CT and moved to DC for a job but it's not! It'll be a person from Culpepper. Or anywhere. Anyway, this is really why I want to move to Arizona. If others not want to cause seismic shift in population and traffic, I do not want to have a part of it.

Old 11-01-2019, 09:31 AM

896 posts, read 1,329,777 times
Quote:
Well, as the tech corridor continues to grow and expand, it will be a hotspot. I think that Arlington is basically peaked out, though, as I've seen some old tiny 1940's homes going for over a million dollars just due to location...but honestly, living in Arlington or Alexandria, unless you live near a Metro, isn't worth a million dollars. It's so funny because I grew up in Alexandria and Arlington in the 90s and it was a cheap, ghetto cesspool and now it's considered prime real estate.

I think the next big areas that will be big are the Dulles Tech Corridor. Reston, Herndon, Sterling, Ashburn, Leesburg in the next decade or two will be just as pricey and expensive as Arlington. (It already is in many cases).

But I kinda do agree with the OP, for the area, the pricepoint isn't worth it. This is my home, but it's really nothing particularly special. Its just sad that you can't buy a single family house for a reasonable pricepoint anymore unless you want to live out in the boonies of Faquier County or go way down to Woodbridge or Stafford.
Can barely get into Woodbridge for under 500k. I like Stafford however its too far from work. Thinking about buying an old ranch style in Springfield for 400k and fix it up little by little. I hate traffic.

Old 11-01-2019, 10:38 AM

659 posts, read 727,732 times
The Lorton VA area isn't bad, it's mid-way to everything actually. 15 mins to Springfield/Alexandria/Woodbridge/Fairfax. Traffic is managable at times too. It's getting crowded now that many people see it's a good location. Houses here also have ones in low $400s and mid $500s.

Old 11-01-2019, 12:07 PM

26,709 posts, read 41,874,164 times
Quote:

Alexandria was considered ghetto back in the 90s? Not disputing what you are saying just shocked. I’ve always said that without the jobs, Alexandria would be Hampton Roads (more so Hampton and Norfolk mixed together). The three cities actually have more in common than meets the eye. One example: all three public school systems rank in the bottom third in Virginia.

I do agree if you aren’t in tech or defense, it is not the most economically sensical area to live. I’m probably going to leave soon myself since essentially I can do HR in much cheaper areas.

Old 11-01-2019, 12:40 PM

2,146 posts, read 3,076,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by herndonhomer View Post
What i am really trying to say in this post is screw high paying jobs and move to the country. Everyone wants to be a consultant, lawyer, doctor, financial analyst work in tech...move to the country and be a farmer...ohhh WAIT. THAT IS BENEATH YOU!
Are you under the impression being a farmer is an easy job? Hell, that job isn’t beneath me, it’s too tough for me.

Old 11-01-2019, 02:12 PM

7,670 posts, read 14,292,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Returning2USA View Post
Yes IMO, in NoVa people tend to not like each other nor anyone in general.

Oh come on. I lived in NOVA from 1973-2015 before moving to the Shenandoah Valley. I was so ready to move to the country but to say NOVA people tend to not like each other is just goofy. If this were true I'd have moved away many years earlier. Quite possible the problem is you?

Old 11-01-2019, 02:17 PM

7,670 posts, read 14,292,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reebo View Post
Are you under the impression being a farmer is an easy job? Hell, that job isn’t beneath me, it’s too tough for me.
I'm surrounded by farms here in the valley and many in my church are farmers. No doubt it is tough work and so dependent on weather and so on. I grew up with family in Fla. who were farmers and while I enjoyed visiting and even working some summers on a farm with some cousins I knew farming wasn't for me. Heck, to me working in LE was likely easier.

Old 11-01-2019, 05:45 PM

405 posts, read 398,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Returning2USA View Post
Yes IMO, in NoVa people tend to not like each other nor anyone in general.
BS. I'm a transplant to the area and have made several good friends here. People are people like anywhere else

Old 11-01-2019, 06:05 PM

15,176 posts, read 27,929,181 times
I didn't grow up here either but have met many, many, many NICE friendly people.

Old 11-03-2019, 07:40 AM

5,162 posts, read 4,510,972 times
Quote:

A million dollars is not that much for a house now. Also when you say Arlington is not worth a million I totally disagree. There are a lot of nice places in Arlington.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia