Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2019, 02:13 PM

2,023 posts, read 4,624,816 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ffxdata View Post
Spoken like someone who has never farmed for a living...

I’m always puzzled by people saying that they can’t/don’t make friends here. I’m an introvert and I have more friends than I can handle. Everyone is coming and going which can make it easier to find your fit as opposed to moving to a town where everyone has known everyone since they were all in diapers.
I've said a similar thing repeatedly since I moved here in 2005. I never had a problem connecting with and meeting a ton of people in this area. There are a lot of career obsessed people who ask 'what do you do for a living' in many major cities- it is hardly unique to the DC area. There are also a large number of people I've met here who could care less where you work and want to engage in other conversation. If you can't find a solid group of friends in such a large, diverse and ever expanding area then you aren't trying.

Old 11-04-2019, 02:15 PM

4,178 posts, read 2,654,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVAmtneer82 View Post
I've said a similar thing repeatedly since I moved here in 2005. I never had a problem connecting with and meeting a ton of people in this area. There are a lot of career obsessed people who ask 'what do you do for a living' in many major cities- it is hardly unique to the DC area. There are also a large number of people I've met here who could care less where you work and want to engage in other conversation. If you can't find a solid group of friends in such a large, diverse and ever expanding area then you aren't trying.
Yeah, it's easy to meet people in this area. Though, I think you need to have a "thing" to bind you together (like social groups like kickball, happy hours, running/bike clubs). Those seem to be the hotspots to easily meet people.

But yes, most times, you will get the "what do you do for work?" question, but it shouldn't bother anyone at this day and age.

Old 11-04-2019, 04:31 PM

24 posts, read 51,661 times
Having a tight circle is where it's at. Screw meeting people. Like I said the population here is getting too big. I died laughing one of the replies in this thread kinda said something of the vibe "I don't have any friends." I was dead. If that is your end result of this discussion then you're an idiot. Too many people, more problems. Too many egomaniacs...people who worship money. It's actually incredible.

Old 11-04-2019, 09:08 PM

2,076 posts, read 3,437,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by herndonhomer View Post
Having a tight circle is where it's at. Screw meeting people. Like I said the population here is getting too big. I died laughing one of the replies in this thread kinda said something of the vibe "I don't have any friends." I was dead. If that is your end result of this discussion then you're an idiot. Too many people, more problems. Too many egomaniacs...people who worship money. It's actually incredible.
Good luck wherever you land, and don’t slam the door on your way out!

Old 11-04-2019, 10:51 PM

3,941 posts, read 6,736,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Guard View Post
Why do you think traffic will be better in Arizona? Or that people will be from there?
The only way traffic will be better in Arizona is if the OP moves to a rural area in AZ. Otherwise, traffic will probably be worse as this state is growing by leaps and bounds.

Old 11-04-2019, 11:07 PM

3,109 posts, read 2,980,355 times
I grew up in Fairfax County, and owned five homes in Arizona. Arizona will win on COL, housing, and climate. Nova will win on schools, jobs. Amenities and crime would be a toss-up... but you would be a lot safer in a hood of 400k houses in AZ than Nova. Arizona would give you a chance to not be a lifelong renter. I paid 18,500 for this 400 sf house in Midtown Phoenix in 2010. Walk to the light rail, and lots of other places. On a walled 7700 sf lot. Now, on the market for 205k...still a song, compared to Arlington. My cousin paid 120k in Lyon Park in 1984..it sold 5 years ago for a million... Seen nicer homes in Pittsburgh for under 100k.https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/3.../7534344_zpid/

Last edited by Hal Roach; 11-04-2019 at 11:32 PM..

Old 11-05-2019, 03:56 AM

7,670 posts, read 14,262,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnymarkjiz View Post
Yeah, it's easy to meet people in this area. Though, I think you need to have a "thing" to bind you together (like social groups like kickball, happy hours, running/bike clubs). Those seem to be the hotspots to easily meet people.

But yes, most times, you will get the "what do you do for work?" question, but it shouldn't bother anyone at this day and age.

I did not find this true. Wife and I moved into a neighborhood in 86 and moved in 2015 to the valley. But in this neighborhood we had a work from home machinist, two nurses, guy who ran a health dept office, retiree who fixed small engine products for friends, a paraplegic and his elderly mom and so on. While none of us ever became life long best friends we all got along well and I considered all to be friends. It was on a private road (no gates or anything) and only had 10 homes so this may have helped but we still made an effort to get to know each other and have an occasional get together to socialize. We have no neighbors now but our smallish country church fills this role very well for us.

Old 11-05-2019, 04:59 AM

5,162 posts, read 4,497,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by herndonhomer View Post
I mean you sound like a very pleasant person.

Old 11-05-2019, 10:24 AM

6,828 posts, read 4,280,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnymarkjiz View Post

Kickball lol. Thats the problem right there, this area is full of dorks. Too many walking millennial middle class kid cliches around here.

Old 11-05-2019, 10:52 AM

4,178 posts, read 2,654,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas Vincit View Post
Kickball lol. Thats the problem right there, this area is full of dorks. Too many walking millennial middle class kid cliches around here.
lol What more do you want then, exactly? Considering millennials make up most of the workforce in DC....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia