Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2019, 02:24 PM

6,824 posts, read 4,278,209 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnymarkjiz View Post
lol What more do you want then, exactly? Considering millennials make up most of the workforce in DC....
Theres just such a thing as a DC type. 50-60 years ago it was all grey suits and buzzcuts, now its the millennial uniform. DC attracts the conformist striver. Not my cup of tea. I moved here because my wife got a great job here, but it was never my first choice. I think in reality I like it even less than I thought I would. Once we have job exit strategies we are done here.

Old 11-05-2019, 08:54 PM

22,492 posts, read 12,042,613 times
We found it wasn't easy to connect with people in this area. When we both worked in DC, some of our co-workers lived in MD, others in DC. For example someone living in VA could find that their co-worker who lives in MD actually lives about 50 miles away from you. Then, at the end of the day, people had commuter buses to catch at a certain time so no meeting up at the end of the day.

Once we became parents, we had acquaintances who had kids in school with our child. I would go out and about in the community and run into people and chat. I also had a part-time job in the community and got to know people that way. I got to know some of the supermarket cashiers and we would have nice chats while they were ringing up my groceries.

Then we became empty nesters around the same time that demographics were changing. Many of the people we knew moved out of the community once their kids finished school. Some of the cashiers retired. While we always were fortunate in that we had great neighbors, we only ran into them on the weekends. After a while we started feeling isolated.

Then we sold the house and moved to an apartment building that happened to have many retirees who, like us, sold their houses and downsized. Much to our surprise, we now have a social life --- of sorts.

Old 11-06-2019, 04:31 AM

5,162 posts, read 4,497,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas Vincit View Post
I moved here because my wife got a great job here, but it was never my first choice.
It sounds like you made a choice and it did not work out for you. I hardly see how that is anyone else's fault.

Old 11-06-2019, 04:35 AM

5,162 posts, read 4,497,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
We found it wasn't easy to connect with people in this area. When we both worked in DC, some of our co-workers lived in MD, others in DC. For example someone living in VA could find that their co-worker who lives in MD actually lives about 50 miles away from you. Then, at the end of the day, people had commuter buses to catch at a certain time so no meeting up at the end of the day.
Take the state and district lines out of it and how is this different from a lot of places in the country? I know people in other areas that have long commutes, some even do cross state lines as well, and the situation is very similar to what is in this area. Traffic may be better but smaller towns and cities usually have traffic congestion as well because they usually have bottlenecks like big cities.

I think people fixate on the wrong things. To me it does not matter if I cross a state line. That is almost meaningless to me. It is the distance, traffic and weather that matter to me when traveling.

Old 11-06-2019, 09:02 AM

6,824 posts, read 4,278,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Guard View Post
It sounds like you made a choice and it did not work out for you. I hardly see how that is anyone else's fault.
Yeah Im not blaming anyone, nor have I ever indicated that I do. Telling you that it sucks doesn’t imply blame, its just an opinion based on my observations.

Old 11-06-2019, 11:34 AM

4,178 posts, read 2,653,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas Vincit View Post
Theres just such a thing as a DC type. 50-60 years ago it was all grey suits and buzzcuts, now its the millennial uniform. DC attracts the conformist striver. Not my cup of tea. I moved here because my wife got a great job here, but it was never my first choice. I think in reality I like it even less than I thought I would. Once we have job exit strategies we are done here.
You basically nailed it right there, I don't think it's about conformist, but since jobs are here, people are flowing here like never before. People are only moving here because of the jobs, not because of the "pleasure to live in the great areas of Northern Virginia". I grew up here and I can easily say that NOVA is pretty boring and dull.

So when you have a mix of people who aren't from here (seriously, people say it's so rare that I'm actually from this area), you have a lot of different personality types. So while yes, it's possible to meet people organically, there are a lot of social groups that do attract people for meeting up/hooking up.

What seems to bring people together here? Booze...lol

Old 11-06-2019, 12:23 PM

22,492 posts, read 12,042,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Guard View Post
Take the state and district lines out of it and how is this different from a lot of places in the country? I know people in other areas that have long commutes, some even do cross state lines as well, and the situation is very similar to what is in this area. Traffic may be better but smaller towns and cities usually have traffic congestion as well because they usually have bottlenecks like big cities.

I think people fixate on the wrong things. To me it does not matter if I cross a state line. That is almost meaningless to me. It is the distance, traffic and weather that matter to me when traveling.
I mentioned states, yes. However, the DC suburban area is very large and very spread out. While public transportation has greatly improved since we moved here in 1980, it still has a way to go. Before we moved here, we lived in an area with a more compact suburban area plus it had good transportation (still does). Staying after work to meet up with co-workers was much easier. Meeting up with my husband to go to dinner at the end of the day was simpler. One day, reflecting on our DC working days, it dawned on us that neither of us ever suggested meeting after work and eating in DC. This was in part due to having limited transportation options after a certain time.

I wasn't the only one who made such observations once in DC. My co-workers also commented with similar sentiments.

Old 11-06-2019, 02:07 PM

17,627 posts, read 15,327,179 times
My experience.. I lived in Fairfax and Manassas as a kid. From ages 9 to 17.

Loved the area at that time. I mean, dad worked at the pentagon.. It wasn't unusual for me to hop a metrobus and ride in and have lunch with him some days.. I'd ride into DC and just go all over the place. Something new popped up at the Smithsonian that interested me.. I'd ride in and check it out.

Could get basically anywhere and everywhere either through metro or just walking.

I feel like I got a really good education from the school systems. I wound up graduating from Stonewall. Robinson was great and where I really consider that I graduated from.. even though my senior year was at Stonewall. You know, outside of the LSD ring thing, which was people in my class.. Robinson was great.

However.. I left the day after I graduated high school. I enjoy coming back for short periods of time. But I returned to the Carolinas and have zero interest in ever living in that area again.

Old 11-06-2019, 02:55 PM

15,152 posts, read 27,834,458 times
Okay - and the point is?

Old 11-06-2019, 03:11 PM

32,620 posts, read 77,690,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnymarkjiz View Post
But yes, most times, you will get the "what do you do for work?" question, but it shouldn't bother anyone at this day and age.
I mean some of us are embarrassed about our professions. I work in law enforcement (as an analyst---not an officer). While church-shopping we were immediately asked by one woman near us (a retired pastor) what we each did for a living. When I said I worked for the police she said "Sorry to hear that." I replied "I'm not sorry to work for them." That ended that conversation, and her presence has made me stop going to that church. If your job is stressful and/or occupies 50-60 hours per week of your life you do NOT want to talk about work in casual conversations with strangers.

This happened in Pittsburgh, by the way, so being career-obsessed isn't just exclusive to NoVA. Just as many BMW-drivers who sleep, breathe, and eat work up here these days (lots of VA and MD license plates, too).

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostongymjunkie View Post
LOL. I'm shocked that this post has not generated more hateful responses than it has thus far. In my observations, ANY criticism of NoVA more often than not stirs up the most vociferous and rabid defense by those who see it as an attack on their very being. And the responses usually involve ad hominems, which I guess supports one or more of your premises. Maybe things are improving.
Nope. That's just when I criticize something about NoVA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia