Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-11-2019, 05:13 PM

1,517 posts, read 1,666,000 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
North Carolina was a major destination but I hear and feel that the luster has been lost in recent years. Admittedly I was not overly impressed with Charlotte (which was a possibility I considered in the past.) I think Raleigh-Durham is too family oriented for my taste. The other cities are just too small for my liking.

One thing that may keep me here longer is that I'm just not super impressed with anywhere else right now.
Bingo. Sums it up for me too. Charlotte was the biggest disappointment ever. Dallas was ok, but after 3 years I decided it was enough. Same for Richmond, VA. NOVA has what I need for now.

Old 11-12-2019, 08:11 AM

4,178 posts, read 2,648,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vernum View Post
It depends on the area of NoVa. I avoid a lot of places beyond where I live, mostly because of traffic, and everything that I need is nearby anyway. Also, there does seem to be a no-go zone forming somewhere outside of Arlington, close by, but I was not paying attention to where I was so I cannot be certain where. I saw a lot of Burkas and felt like I was in a foreign country. It would be hard to believe that anyone not a part of that culture would want to live in that area.
Other races?!?!? In your plain view?? The audacity!!!

Old 11-12-2019, 08:43 AM

9,267 posts, read 5,119,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by herndonhomer View Post
Unless of course you are already established here. I have lived here since 1995, but I see the boom coming. I see it on every website. People keep on talking about DC, but occasionally mostly talking about Northern VA. Been living in Vienna for 13 years now, before 11 years in Herndon , OLD HERNDON, before MS13 really got in. Rising house costs, more people, more pan handlers...but the funny part is that everyone wants to act like this area is purely high class, when the middle class is very present...don't mind it...but you know not everyone has a 100k job. PLEASE DON'T MOVE HERE. **** AMAZON. Everyone here hates each other if you ask me.
It's a choice. Some can handle the stress and pressure of NOVA, and some find it too difficult.
Home appreciation and cultural venues are marvelous.

Old 11-12-2019, 11:05 AM

5,162 posts, read 4,488,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnymarkjiz View Post
Other races?!?!? In your plain view?? The audacity!!!
If they tried to stay out of view they would be hiding for nefarious purposes.

Old 11-14-2019, 06:13 AM

894 posts, read 1,325,386 times
Left DC for charlotte to get away from the hustle. Definitely a better pace of life however job market in Charlotte sucks!

Thinking coming back to DC.

Old 11-14-2019, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pit2atl View Post
Left DC for charlotte to get away from the hustle. Definitely a better pace of life however job market in Charlotte sucks!

Thinking coming back to DC.
I am not sure if I am right about this but weren't you pretty scathing about this area when you left?

Old 11-17-2019, 10:56 PM

894 posts, read 1,325,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Guard View Post
I am not sure if I am right about this but weren't you pretty scathing about this area when you left?
Yeah I moved to DC from Atlanta for a job promotion and I was basically in Culture shock of the high COL, street camera tickets, people blowing their horns and cold weather. I left for NC. Been here a yr and job market is terrible.

Now all that negativity about nova doesn’t seem to bad.

Lol funny you remember.

Old 11-18-2019, 01:11 AM

3,109 posts, read 2,972,333 times
Quote:
Yeah I moved to DC from Atlanta for a job promotion and I was basically in Culture shock of the high COL, street camera tickets, people blowing their horns and cold weather. I left for NC. Been here a yr and job market is terrible.

Now all that negativity about nova doesn’t seem to bad.

Lol funny you remember.
Charlotte may be losing jobs in the finance sector. First a trend towards ETFs and index funds, now commission free trading at the major brokerages.

Old 11-18-2019, 04:46 AM

Quote:
Lol funny you remember.
Not really many people repping Pittsburgh here.

Old 11-21-2019, 08:28 AM

2,021 posts, read 4,615,978 times
Herndon? Like everywhere else in this area it does have pockets of 'less nice' but overall it is a very nice suburban community with an increasingly dense section building up along the Toll Road/ future Silver Line stops. Not sure where your 'relatives' are living there?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia