Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-08-2020, 05:06 PM

14 posts, read 20,335 times

Advertisements

Huntsville, AL has been deemed as the "future" second Headquarters for the FBI. 400 employees have already been transferred here and a total of 1400 will move this year. 4000 FBI employees/contractor will eventually move here as infrastructure is completed over the next few years.

Just curious if anyone in the FBI is transferring to Huntsville from D.C.?

About 12 years ago, I almost took a job in the D.C. area but instead took a job with MDA in Huntsville. I am so grateful I made this decision. It does not offer as much as a big city like D.C. but it does offer a lot for a small city.https://www.huntsvillescoop.com/thingstodo.html

Huntsville has the second largest research park and the fourth largest biotech park in the nation, along with NASA, Missile Defense Agency, Army Space and Rocket Command, Army Contracting Command, Army Test Helicopter Command and now we are the alternate site for the FBI, soon to grow to 4,000 personnel. We also have Facebook data center, two Toyota plants, Remington and Polaris plant here. It is a job mecca and great place to raise the family. Unemployment here is around 2.1 percent. Most importantly, traffic, taxes and cost of living is low. Huntsville schools are the best in Alabama with an average of 23.5 ACT test for students. We have the second lowest property tax in the nation with an average 4 bedroom 3 bath 2500 sqft brick house costing around $275 K.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2020, 04:44 AM

7,670 posts, read 14,305,868 times
The federal agency I just retired from has its mothership there for the section I worked for. I liked working in Huntsville and I don't exactly agree with the "traffic' comment. Getting out of my hotel and onto Redstone was always an adventure. Maybe the road construction has improved making it easier. We thought we were going to be moved to Huntsville from VA but as for now that's on the back burner. In reality I think it would have been a bad move considering the work we do and who we do it with. Huntsville just doesn't have the ability to mimic what we have here in VA. But I did enjoy working there and I was surprised at how pretty some of the country was around the area.

Old 01-09-2020, 07:19 AM

2,262 posts, read 2,421,046 times
I had to go to a conference in Huntsville last summer. It’s a very nice area, it kind of feels like its own city, it doesn’t really feel like you’re in Alabama.

Old 01-09-2020, 08:18 AM

1,159 posts, read 1,297,469 times
We looked at a move to Huntsville a few years back. I was impressed by the city (and how much house we would be able to buy there vs here). I expected crap schools and racism, but it’s actually a pretty progressive city that has good schools and a very educated population because of industry. There’s no way on earth I’d move there right now though with the state politics situation. They really aren’t doing themselves any favors trying to appeal to young educated families.

Old 01-09-2020, 08:28 AM

989 posts, read 459,831 times
I've gained a few employees who got transferred to Huntsville but wanted out. They were mainly of the younger demographic. No real complaints and it was certainly deemed "nice enough" in the surrounding area but didn't afford the social, cultural things to do that this area offers.

Old 01-09-2020, 09:31 AM

26,711 posts, read 41,904,938 times
I ended up leaving NoVA in 2010 because my family had been a part of one of these federal reorganizations. I totally get why many would not cotton having to leave this area to go anywhere else, let alone an unknown spot like Huntsville (or in my case Louisville.)

I’ve heard nothing but positives about Huntsville and think it is quietly one of the best cities in the South. That said, the limits of being in a state like Alabama (or again in my case Kentucky) will be obvious and will always hold the city back.

Old 01-11-2020, 02:13 PM

14 posts, read 20,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot424 View Post
The federal agency I just retired from has its mothership there for the section I worked for. I liked working in Huntsville and I don't exactly agree with the "traffic' comment. Getting out of my hotel and onto Redstone was always an adventure. Maybe the road construction has improved making it easier. We thought we were going to be moved to Huntsville from VA but as for now that's on the back burner. In reality I think it would have been a bad move considering the work we do and who we do it with. Huntsville just doesn't have the ability to mimic what we have here in VA. But I did enjoy working there and I was surprised at how pretty some of the country was around the area.

They fixed the Redstone gate 9. Traffic has really improved getting on Restone. The rest of the city has virtual a little traffic.

Old 01-11-2020, 03:11 PM

7,670 posts, read 14,305,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonaldD View Post
They fixed the Redstone gate 9. Traffic has really improved getting on Restone. The rest of the city has virtual a little traffic.

That's good to hear. Just getting out of the hotel was a near death experience every morning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia