Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2020, 12:17 AM

107 posts, read 154,194 times

Advertisements

If people haven't lost their jobs, many of us have been furloughed for at least some of the week. Our assets in the stock market are worth 20% less than a month ago. I don't know anyone that feels secure and that means saving cash. This has to effect housing. Where will the buyers come from when there is so much fear, uncertainty and definite losses of assets?? I don't understand how everyone but realtors, who always say buy, aren't seeing this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2020, 08:31 AM

12 posts, read 11,588 times
Virginia Business just came out with an article featuring Long & Foster's president, and according to him, Northern Virginia home prices for the first two weeks of April 2020 were up 9.2% from April 2019. Apparently, Alexandria prices are up around 18%.

While the number of sellers listing their homes is down, it seems there are still plenty of buyers (who probably have enough cash to meet the stricter requirements of a bigger down payment) willing to buy. Our housing inventory prior to the pandemic was already incredibly tight. Even if demand decreased a little bit, the level of demand still seems high among the qualified and willing buyers out there.

https://www.virginiabusiness.com/art...campaign=daily

I should add that while there are certainly plenty of homeowners and buyers who are financially impacted right now, a disproportionately large share of affected workers in the retail and hospitality industries (those who have been laid off or furloughed) are renters. It'll be interesting to see how landlords and property management companies come out through this.

Last edited by Sdbu679; 04-27-2020 at 08:51 AM..

Old 04-28-2020, 08:55 AM

41 posts, read 23,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sdbu679 View Post
Virginia Business just came out with an article featuring Long & Foster's president, and according to him, Northern Virginia home prices for the first two weeks of April 2020 were up 9.2% from April 2019. Apparently, Alexandria prices are up around 18%.

While the number of sellers listing their homes is down, it seems there are still plenty of buyers (who probably have enough cash to meet the stricter requirements of a bigger down payment) willing to buy. Our housing inventory prior to the pandemic was already incredibly tight. Even if demand decreased a little bit, the level of demand still seems high among the qualified and willing buyers out there.

I should add that while there are certainly plenty of homeowners and buyers who are financially impacted right now, a disproportionately large share of affected workers in the retail and hospitality industries (those who have been laid off or furloughed) are renters. It'll be interesting to see how landlords and property management companies come out through this.
I am in Herndon and hope to sell next spring/summer. Haven't seen prices in my neighborhood up by the 9% quoted above, but when houses do go on the market, they have a contract in less than 2 weeks. I'm in a $400-525k area of Herndon (but not the city of Herndon). So the market must be tight, indeed.

Old 04-29-2020, 12:10 PM

2,540 posts, read 3,732,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VirginiaLover View Post
I am in Herndon and hope to sell next spring/summer. Haven't seen prices in my neighborhood up by the 9% quoted above, but when houses do go on the market, they have a contract in less than 2 weeks. I'm in a $400-525k area of Herndon (but not the city of Herndon). So the market must be tight, indeed.
Yep, that's what I've been seeing also.

Old 05-03-2020, 06:04 PM

4,587 posts, read 6,414,204 times
Homes in my Licolnia/Annandale neighborhood are sailing for incredible prices this spring.

Old 05-03-2020, 11:04 PM

654 posts, read 423,591 times
Quote:
It'll be interesting to see how landlords and property management companies come out through this.
I have quite a few properties and I'm a happy landlord, thanks to the economic strength of NoVA I was able to collect all my rent as normal while prices have been rising. Interest rates are low, the fed has been printing tons of money, equity markets are richly valued and volatile so a good fixer upper rental right now is looking very attractive. Though it's been hard finding any deals, there is just no inventory and when something does come up it gets bid up like crazy. I think later this year things will probably calm down a little bit.

Old 05-06-2020, 06:32 AM

8,673 posts, read 22,905,462 times
Quote:

As we have learned from our President, say it is so doesn't make it so. Of course a VA business magazine is not going to paint a grim picture. We have a home (ironically listed by L & F) in our community, prime location with zero activity for 4+ weeks - priced right - if pricing is to remain level. Previously a simple "coming soon" would generate multiple offers from first time buyers. So something isn't right, suggesting pricing may be ready to drop.

Old 05-06-2020, 08:01 AM

2,262 posts, read 2,396,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartMoney View Post
As we have learned from our President, say it is so doesn't make it so. Of course a VA business magazine is not going to paint a grim picture. We have a home (ironically listed by L & F) in our community, prime location with zero activity for 4+ weeks - priced right - if pricing is to remain level. Previously a simple "coming soon" would generate multiple offers from first time buyers. So something isn't right, suggesting pricing may be ready to drop.
Yeah, I keep seeing these real estate articles saying how things are still moving fast but even in my neighborhood in Arlington things have slowed. They’re still moving but not at the rate it was pre-COVID. I think anything not directly outside DC is probably moving even slower I’d presume.

Old 05-06-2020, 02:29 PM

12 posts, read 11,588 times
It really depends on where. My community in Loudoun County (Willowsford) currently has 20+ resale listings under contract or contingent, and several of them went under contract or contingent within 1-3 days of hitting the market. Not enough of them have closed yet for us to see if sellers are getting their full asking price. This is on top of all the new construction homes within our community that buyers have been purchasing directly from builders.

I agree that the Virginia Business article isn't something to take as absolute fact since the April numbers were all verbal and premature, but considering all the other data points and patterns showing up in the real estate industry (tight inventory, high demand, apartment dwellers riding out the pandemic in the suburbs or rural areas, etc.), it's not surprising.

Old 05-06-2020, 03:06 PM

15,142 posts, read 27,760,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarheelhombre View Post
Homes in my Licolnia/Annandale neighborhood are sailing for incredible prices this spring.
Sailing is available? LOL (j/k)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia