Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2020, 10:24 PM

1 posts, read 1,794 times

Advertisements

I currently live in a beach city in California I'm taking a job in downtown DC late this summer. I'll be working 6:00am - 3:00pm. I plan to rent for the first year or two. I'd like to spend $4,000/month but am willing to go up to $5,000/month for something extraordinary.

I'm familiar with Loudoun County and some parts of DC: downtown, Foggy Bottom, Georgetown, and Woodland/Woodley.

Can you recommend a neighborhood? I'm okay with anything between Dulles and Bethesda and my primary goal is to keep my family engaged and excited about this new place. My wife will be working from home a bit (maybe half time).

- I have a 4 year old that I would want to put into daycare/montessori at least part time. I'm not on any waiting lists now.

- I have an 8 year old that needs a good public elementary school (does not have to be competitive-super-presidents-blue-ribbon-etc... just a good school). I don't know what are the repercussions of showing up late in the summer...

- I would like the location to have something novel for my wife and kids who are not particularly excited about moving from CA to DC. I'm not sure what I want here which is the main reason I'm writing. For example:

- a family-friendly place with fun things to do - Willowsford advertising makes me drool (huge pool with movies, community farm, etc)

- W&OD Trail (or similar) access would be great. I'm wiling to bike ~10 miles each way to work but suspect this is infeasible during parts of the year. I can see myself taking the family out for rides.

- a downtown walk-everywhere and explore area would be fun (Capitol Hill or Arlington or ...?). Walking to Trader Joes, Whole Foods, etc would be a bonus. Farmers market!

- metro access would be a bonus - so I can get home and be with the family quickly -- or get the family off to the zoo in DC, etc. Getting rid of one of our two cars would be a bonus.

- a place that will wow us with snow (a big lawn in McLean?) or a fun "winter" atmosphere (Alexandria? Never been.)

- I once stumbled into Vienna Town Green during a Spring outdoor concert day -- great fun

- I need to avoid the apartment/daily_grind atmosphere which will I fear will send my family packing back to CA.

Thanks for your advice and ideas!

Rudy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2020, 04:58 AM

7,670 posts, read 14,234,258 times
Since a family is involved I would seriously look at Reston with access to the Silver Line of the Metro. Good schools and a lot of what a family needs or wants. Not a city like DC but a well planned area that has all you need.

Old 05-08-2020, 07:31 AM

197 posts, read 165,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RudyMoore2020 View Post
I plan to rent for the first year or two.
I'd like to spend $4,000/month but am willing to go up to $5,000/month for something extraordinary.

I'm familiar with Loudoun County

I'm okay with anything between Dulles and Bethesda

- I have a 4 year old that I would want to put into daycare/montessori at least part time.

- I have an 8 year old that needs a good public elementary school

- a family-friendly place with fun things to do - Willowsford advertising makes me drool (huge pool with movies, community farm, etc)---- Just no... there are no rentals and under 5k???? that whole area keeps going up in price...

- W&OD Trail (or similar) access would be great. I'm wiling to bike ~10 miles each way to work but suspect this is infeasible during parts of the year. I can see myself taking the family out for rides.

- a downtown walk-everywhere and explore area would be fun (Capitol Hill or Arlington or ...?). Walking to Trader Joes, Whole Foods, etc would be a bonus. Farmers market!

- metro access would be a bonus - so I can get home and be with the family quickly -- or get the family off to the zoo in DC, etc. Getting rid of one of our two cars would be a bonus.

Rudy
So..... had family move from ca to va.... there is no comparison so gooood luck. They have all acclimated... sans one group that moved back to the I.E.

For what you are looking for i can speak for ashburn.... there are some neighborhoods that may meet your requirements.

(Monte school, trail access, good schools, and you will have to battle for the house, trail access, metro access, farmers markets all around (brambleton, willowsford, near the metro stop) and a trader joes.

If you can snag a SFH in Belmont Greene... its right next to the Trail, has a montessori school in it and decent loudoun schools in its area. https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/2...68458963_zpid/

Close by if you need a new home wellers corner (dan ryan builders has a website discussing new homes being built in 2020) and is attached to the trail. Sales Office Address and Contact
20711 Ashburn Rd Ashburn, VA 20147

Followed by ashburn villiage. and then potomac green... all kinda close with potomac green getting more cool points being close to one loudoun (fun stuff) and trader joes.
https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/4...72489936_zpid/

All neighborhoods are in driving distance to the silver line.... and you get vinyards and breweries (cali-ish) and tons of the people that live out here are cali transplants... one of my neighors has a home in cali still... which is mind blowing.

this is trying to maintain your budget...but if your 5k includes money for the Monte school... you are now looking at a townhouse anywhere in the NCR.

happy hunting

Old 05-08-2020, 12:58 PM

2,090 posts, read 4,244,907 times
I'll second Reston as a place your family will have lots to do. Your budget will go far - here are a few things on the market now that I would recommend you check out.

https://www.brightmlshomes.com/renta...0194-278376951
Great neighborhood - walking distance to elementary school.

https://www.brightmlshomes.com/renta...0191-295134942
Extremely desirable elementary school and the W&OD trail in the backyard

https://www.brightmlshomes.com/renta...0191-295453731

For your youngest.
Sunset Hills Montessori is well respected.
Sunset Hills Montessori School
Reston's most famous is Lake Anne Nursery and Kindergarten.
https://www.lankschool.com/
Reston Children's Center is well known.
https://www.restonchildren.org/

Here is a map of Reston with the trail system and recreational facilities, 15 pools and tons of tennis courts for when the pandemic is over. There are more than 50 miles of trails in Reston that have been keeping me sane during the pandemic.

http://www.reston.org/Portals/3/2018...Map%202018.pdf

Old 05-09-2020, 09:37 PM

3,109 posts, read 2,967,960 times
He said he would bike 10 miles..he didn't say he wanted to spend 90 minutes in a COVID incubating Metro cattle car. And he has to be at work at 0600...When does the first train leave Reston?

Vienna was a good idea, but N. Arlington would be better, like Lyon Park.https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...1_M58014-86304

Upper Northwest DC is better, but there are tax issues and school issues..but you are likely used to that. You are you to miss the beach, but Spring and Fall can be great.

Old 05-09-2020, 11:23 PM

1,304 posts, read 2,424,853 times
Like most one posters you are all over the place. Maybe you should narrow down what you really want first? The things you seem to mention most are walkable, close to metro, bikable to DC and that is Arlington or Alexandria.

Reston is easily an hour commute into DC by train or car. You can bike in from Arlington.

Arlington is more expensive and much closer. So up to you if it's worth the additional commute time to save money.

Old 05-11-2020, 12:33 AM

3,109 posts, read 2,967,960 times
I just checked..only 35 minutes from east Reston to Foggy Bottom..but trains only run every 20 minutes..(they run every 2.4 minutes in Bangkok, for example). You would have to allow 90 minutes to be on time, and plenty could go wrong...I would go with West Springfield for an easier commute, (if you have parking, you could use HOV lanes and be downtown in 20 minutes from most of West Springfield, at 5 30 am) and schools equal or better than Reston, and a bit more for the money..but for enjoying DC culture and not being bored, Woodley Park would be hard to beat, as well as a dozen other neighborhoods in DC..schools/taxes..It might be helpful if you state which part of California you reside, and I can just about guarantee you some here will have lived there or be familiar with it. NoVa seems to be one of the top destinations for tech workers fleeing the golden brown state.

Old 05-11-2020, 04:36 AM

7,670 posts, read 14,234,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal Roach View Post
I just checked..only 35 minutes from east Reston to Foggy Bottom..but trains only run every 20 minutes..(they run every 2.4 minutes in Bangkok, for example). You would have to allow 90 minutes to be on time, and plenty could go wrong...I would go with West Springfield for an easier commute, (if you have parking, you could use HOV lanes and be downtown in 20 minutes from most of West Springfield, at 5 30 am) and schools equal or better than Reston, and a bit more for the money..but for enjoying DC culture and not being bored, Woodley Park would be hard to beat, as well as a dozen other neighborhoods in DC..schools/taxes..It might be helpful if you state which part of California you reside, and I can just about guarantee you some here will have lived there or be familiar with it. NoVa seems to be one of the top destinations for tech workers fleeing the golden brown state.
I've spent time in Bangkok working and yes, the trains run more frequently, but talk about a "COVID incubating Metro cattle car." Your words by the way. Metro is packed nowhere near as bad as what I experienced in Bangkok.

Old 05-11-2020, 05:04 AM

3,408 posts, read 1,901,534 times
Check out Potomac Shores in Dumfries. Also, check out the Montclair community in Dumfries. https://potomacshores.com/

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1...zpid/?mmlb=g,0

Last edited by columbusboy8; 05-11-2020 at 05:19 AM..

Old 05-11-2020, 05:18 AM

3,408 posts, read 1,901,534 times
https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1...zpid/?mmlb=g,0
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia