Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2020, 12:51 PM

3,023 posts, read 2,238,477 times

Advertisements

It's a car. It runs fine. I can't believe you think you are entitled to judge how others spend their money and just can't bear the thought of seeing a PT cruiser from your window.

But you're right: there is definitely some ugliness in your neighborhood, but it's not the car.

Go be a big boy, dig out your covenants, confirm that there is no rule against "Cars Kieran Thinks Are Ugly," and introduce yourself the the nice neighbors so they know to avoid you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2020, 12:55 PM

41 posts, read 23,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kieran Keating View Post
Less fortunate how? That home sold for $920k. sounds pretty fortunate to me. Even if it's driven by a college student, which I obviously understand wouldn't afford a new luxury car, they can still get something that's newer and in much better shape at a low cost.
There you go, assuming again...just drop it! You obviously have too much time on your hands (and that's NOT an assumption).

Old 04-28-2020, 01:02 PM

12,022 posts, read 11,568,432 times
Quote:
Here's the background. I live in an upper-class development here in NoVa that has a strict HOA. A few weeks ago, new neighbors moved into a house down the street from me and they brought their junk old car with them. I found out it's a 2001 Chrysler PT Cruiser, and it's an ugly looking car that's not in good shape (worn off paint, a small dent on the bumper, and some rust on the underbody). I can see this car out my bedroom window and it's an eyesore. I pay a lot of money to live where I live and I shouldn't have to look at that. I get that new cars are expensive and not everyone has to have a brand new one, but this car is twenty years old and worthless. The majority of cars in my development are brand-name like BMW or Lexus or Range Rover and aren't much older than five years old. I've never actually spoken to the people who have moved in and I don't know where they came from, but they should know it's unacceptable to have such an old car in the neighborhood, since this neighborhood has high standards. My rationale is, if they can afford such an expensive home, than they should also afford a nicer car, and if they can't afford a nicer car, they shouldn't live here to begin with. Their other car is a newer Nissan SUV which I have no problem with. I've noticed that the PT cruiser leaves the house each morning at 7 and comes back home around 5, which suggests that it's a daily driver car.

So here are my options. Not sure which one I should choose which is why I made a thread here.

1. File a complaint to the HOA. Our HOA is very restrictive and requires that all lawns are well taken care of, no garbage is allowed in front of peoples homes, all front yards must have landscaping, and flags or signs are not allowed in front of the homes. I'm assuming that they would have an old car policy too. Hopefully the HOA will step in and declare that the PT Cruiser is in violation of the neighborhood aesthetics policy.

2. Talk to the new neighbors myself, and tell them how I feel. I feel like this would be a good option but I also don't want to come off as snobby or patronizing either.

3. Make a post in my neighborhood FaceBook group regarding the situation and ask other neighbors what should be done. I'm sure I'm not alone in having an issue with an old car being at that house, and it's probably an eyesore for all of the other homes nearby.

So which option do I go with? Whatever happens, that car needs to go. It's an eyesore and degrading to our neighborhood. Thanks.
You have no case.

You realize that most of the affluent neighbors, probably including you, are up to their eyeballs in debt to live where they are now. For all we know, this unsightly neighbor has a much higher equity stake in his house. When the 2008 financial crisis hit, most of the multi-million dollar homes down the street went on the market until the government bailed them out.

Old 04-28-2020, 01:05 PM

23,278 posts, read 18,810,120 times
Quote:
Less fortunate how? That home sold for $920k. sounds pretty fortunate to me. Even if it's driven by a college student, which I obviously understand wouldn't afford a new luxury car, they can still get something that's newer and in much better shape at a low cost.
What do you do? Nothing that involves your neighbor. It probably didn't occur to you that one reason they may have had the $ to buy a house in that neighborhood is because they know how to manage their finances when it makes sense to. By getting the most value out of an older car that runs well until the wheels fall off. Many people see a car as transportation from A to B, nothing else. They have priorities just like anyone else. They just don't conform to yours. You are the sort of neighbor that gives HOA neighborhoods a bad reputation. Nosy, superficial, snooty, and judgmental without justification. If you do bring this up with them or take action over something as petty as a less-than-perfect car I hope they sue the pants off you. Then you'll really have a problem neighbor!

Last edited by Parnassia; 04-28-2020 at 01:15 PM..

Old 04-28-2020, 01:14 PM

175 posts, read 282,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
What do you do? Nothing. It probably didn't occur to you that one reason your neighbors may have had the $ to buy a house in that neighborhood is because they know how to manage their finances when it makes sense to. By getting the most value out of an older car that runs well until the wheels fall off. Many people see a car as transportation, nothing else. They have priorities just like anyone else. They just don't conform to yours. You are the sort of neighbor that gives HOA neighborhoods a bad reputation. Nosy, superficial and judgmental without justification. If you do bring this up with them or take action because of something as petty as a less-than-perfect car I hope they sue the pants off you. Then you'll really have a neighbor problem.
Those are all fair points. Believe me, I don't want to have to make a complaint to the HOA, especially to people who technically haven't done anything wrong. I'm just wondering if having an old car is in violation of a certain HOA statute considering the HOA is quite restrictive about everything else. I think I can scratch option 1 off the list since complaining to the HOA is not something I see myself doing.

Old 04-28-2020, 01:31 PM

5,737 posts, read 4,694,854 times
Quote:
Here's the background. I live in an upper-class development here in NoVa that has a strict HOA. A few weeks ago, new neighbors moved into a house down the street from me and they brought their junk old car with them. I found out it's a 2001 Chrysler PT Cruiser, and it's an ugly looking car that's not in good shape (worn off paint, a small dent on the bumper, and some rust on the underbody). I can see this car out my bedroom window and it's an eyesore. I pay a lot of money to live where I live and I shouldn't have to look at that. I get that new cars are expensive and not everyone has to have a brand new one, but this car is twenty years old and worthless. The majority of cars in my development are brand-name like BMW or Lexus or Range Rover and aren't much older than five years old. I've never actually spoken to the people who have moved in and I don't know where they came from, but they should know it's unacceptable to have such an old car in the neighborhood, since this neighborhood has high standards. My rationale is, if they can afford such an expensive home, than they should also afford a nicer car, and if they can't afford a nicer car, they shouldn't live here to begin with. Their other car is a newer Nissan SUV which I have no problem with. I've noticed that the PT cruiser leaves the house each morning at 7 and comes back home around 5, which suggests that it's a daily driver car.

So here are my options. Not sure which one I should choose which is why I made a thread here.

1. File a complaint to the HOA. Our HOA is very restrictive and requires that all lawns are well taken care of, no garbage is allowed in front of peoples homes, all front yards must have landscaping, and flags or signs are not allowed in front of the homes. I'm assuming that they would have an old car policy too. Hopefully the HOA will step in and declare that the PT Cruiser is in violation of the neighborhood aesthetics policy.

2. Talk to the new neighbors myself, and tell them how I feel. I feel like this would be a good option but I also don't want to come off as snobby or patronizing either.

3. Make a post in my neighborhood FaceBook group regarding the situation and ask other neighbors what should be done. I'm sure I'm not alone in having an issue with an old car being at that house, and it's probably an eyesore for all of the other homes nearby.

So which option do I go with? Whatever happens, that car needs to go. It's an eyesore and degrading to our neighborhood. Thanks.
Wow. Just wow. I'm floored.

Just the eff do you think you are?????

Old 04-28-2020, 01:38 PM

15,143 posts, read 27,776,049 times
I am having a serious issue w/believing that this thread is for real! The horrors of having to look at an old car (as opposed to people dying)

Old 04-28-2020, 01:43 PM

Based on the community's reaction, I've decided that I'm going to leave it be. I'm not going to confront my neighbors or get the HOA involved. i can understand how this would be considered judgemental and unfair. Yes, I do not like seeing that old car there, but it's definitely something I can deal with. After the pandemic ends I'll probably introduce myself to the neighbors and obviously not comment on their old car. After doing some research I've found out that certain HOAs across the country do not allow people to have old cars or cars that are in disrepair and there have been controversies where people have gotten their cars towed as a result of not following this policy. In all honesty, as much as I may dislike the car, i don't want that to happen.

Old 04-28-2020, 01:46 PM

23,278 posts, read 18,810,120 times
Quote:
I'm just wondering if having an old car is in violation of a certain HOA statute considering the HOA is quite restrictive about everything else.
CC&Rs should be provided to property buyers. Many times they are included in a house's realty listing information so you could have read them before even putting in an offer. Read yours.

Old 04-28-2020, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
CC&Rs should be provided to property buyers. Many times they are included in a house's realty listing information so you could have read them before even putting in an offer. Read yours.
Didn't even know that. I didn't even bother to check when I moved in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia