Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2020, 05:19 AM

989 posts, read 455,629 times

Advertisements

For anyone interested in getting a COVID-19 antibody test done in the NoVA area, I'm here to tell you it's very easy.

My husband had a very strange COVID-like illness in January. Of course, at the time, a COVID infection didn't cross our minds. He went to the doctor and was tested for influenza and strep. Both were negative. He had symptoms of a 103 degree fever, sudden cough and chest heaviness, horrible headaches, and chills. This went on for 2 weeks despite them giving him an antibiotic for suspected pneumonia. Finally the worst of it cleared, but he felt really bad well into February. Then he was just better.

In the back of his mind he was always wondering: What if I had it in January? I mean, you kind of hope you did!!!

Anyway, found out through a friend that Labcorp offers the test. You register for the test online and pay $10 (non refundable or insurance filable) that goes to some third party "robo doctor" that orders the test for you. This takes about 10 seconds. You get an order number back. You can then either do a walk in at Labcorp or schedule an appointment.

My husband requested the test at 2:30 PM yesterday (Thursday) and drove up to Labcorp at 3PM. He was in and out of there in 5 minutes--not a soul there and they aren't letting more than one person I think in the lobby. Results were back this morning. NEGATIVE!!!

I don't know the cost of the test itself. It is filed with our health insurance now. On the website there is some language about the price being set by Medicare rates or something like that. So the verdict is out on the real cost.

But just in case anyone thinks they may have had it and want to know, it's really very easy. The only recommendation they have is that if you've recently been sick to wait about 2-3 weeks to test because it takes awhile for the antibodies to develop.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2020, 06:13 AM

9,267 posts, read 5,114,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyVW55 View Post
For anyone interested in getting a COVID-19 antibody test done in the NoVA area, I'm here to tell you it's very easy.

My husband had a very strange COVID-like illness in January. Of course, at the time, a COVID infection didn't cross our minds. He went to the doctor and was tested for influenza and strep. Both were negative. He had symptoms of a 103 degree fever, sudden cough and chest heaviness, horrible headaches, and chills. This went on for 2 weeks despite them giving him an antibiotic for suspected pneumonia. Finally the worst of it cleared, but he felt really bad well into February. Then he was just better.

In the back of his mind he was always wondering: What if I had it in January? I mean, you kind of hope you did!!!

Anyway, found out through a friend that Labcorp offers the test. You register for the test online and pay $10 (non refundable or insurance filable) that goes to some third party "robo doctor" that orders the test for you. This takes about 10 seconds. You get an order number back. You can then either do a walk in at Labcorp or schedule an appointment.

My husband requested the test at 2:30 PM yesterday (Thursday) and drove up to Labcorp at 3PM. He was in and out of there in 5 minutes--not a soul there and they aren't letting more than one person I think in the lobby. Results were back this morning. NEGATIVE!!!

I don't know the cost of the test itself. It is filed with our health insurance now. On the website there is some language about the price being set by Medicare rates or something like that. So the verdict is out on the real cost.

But just in case anyone thinks they may have had it and want to know, it's really very easy. The only recommendation they have is that if you've recently been sick to wait about 2-3 weeks to test because it takes awhile for the antibodies to develop.
$120 if you pay. Confirm that your insurer covers the cost first.

Old 05-15-2020, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by finalmove View Post
$120 if you pay. Confirm that your insurer covers the cost first.
Yes, definitely! If you care about having to pay, please verify with insurance first. I didn't care either way as he really wanted the test done.

Old 05-15-2020, 08:20 AM

4,178 posts, read 2,645,949 times
Hard pass for me, but kudos for the information! Good to know!

Old 05-15-2020, 09:37 AM

1,159 posts, read 1,288,583 times
I had symptoms in mid-March as did a child and spouse. We’ve all had “COVID toes” for over 3 weeks. Spouse and I both got the antibody testing and were both negative. There was no cost to us. Our insurance says they are covering it but I think they are actually billing the government for it. I’m not sure though.

Old 05-15-2020, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ffxdata View Post
I had symptoms in mid-March as did a child and spouse. We’ve all had “COVID toes” for over 3 weeks. Spouse and I both got the antibody testing and were both negative. There was no cost to us. Our insurance says they are covering it but I think they are actually billing the government for it. I’m not sure though.
Interesting. Makes me wonder how reliable the tests are (I know they aren't perfect). Sounds like you fit the description for the illness.

Old 05-15-2020, 02:04 PM

1,159 posts, read 1,288,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyVW55 View Post
Interesting. Makes me wonder how reliable the tests are (I know they aren't perfect). Sounds like you fit the description for the illness.
The negative results were definitely a shock. My child had mild cough symptoms on March 15. On March 19, I had a headache that I couldn’t kick which lasted through the night. It was so bad I went to sleep from fatigue and pain at 7pm. I never get headaches. I then had a minor sore throat and low grade fever for 2 weeks with the toes arriving in April. I’ve experienced chilblains with snow on the ground but never in spring or summer.

When taking the test, they asked if it had been 2 weeks since symptoms. Well what counts as a symptom? Do the toes count? If so, then no, I’m still symptomatic.

Old 05-15-2020, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ffxdata View Post
The negative results were definitely a shock. My child had mild cough symptoms on March 15. On March 19, I had a headache that I couldn’t kick which lasted through the night. It was so bad I went to sleep from fatigue and pain at 7pm. I never get headaches. I then had a minor sore throat and low grade fever for 2 weeks with the toes arriving in April. I’ve experienced chilblains with snow on the ground but never in spring or summer.

When taking the test, they asked if it had been 2 weeks since symptoms. Well what counts as a symptom? Do the toes count? If so, then no, I’m still symptomatic.
I think on the 2-week question they are talking about the classic symptoms and they developed that from when they thought this was a standard (but contagious) respiratory illness. Since you've been suffering since March, your body has definitely had time to produce antibodies even though the outward physical effects are still happening. I think they are more concerned with people who had the standard symptoms and recovered a few days ago and are coming in. Takes several weeks to form the antibodies. I'd say you are there.

Old 05-15-2020, 08:16 PM

4,021 posts, read 1,871,384 times
I think you have to keep the math in mind if you believe you had an early case. The virus was doubling every three days (not just here, but anywhere) - so unless you traveled, you got it FROM someone. It means sometime in February - just from your one case alone, plus the donor - there may have been 10 or 20 THOUSAND other sick people. SOMEONE would have noticed. You cannot have just had it - and been alone. It would very surprising if ANYONE had a COVID-Positive spouse for several weeks that did not, themselves, become COVID positive. It's quite contagious.

By March, more than 100 thousand people would have had it, and 100 of them (conservatively) would be dead.

Someone would have noticed.

This is why - while early cases aren't impossible - reaching back to 2019 is simply not something you will find.

Old 05-16-2020, 03:30 AM

15,424 posts, read 25,792,502 times
We believe we had it in early March, but was never tested. I have heard the anti-body tests are not very accurate, so I'm not going until they are reasonably accurate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia