Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Favorite downtown in NOVA
Falls Church 5 27.78%
Fairfax 3 16.67%
Vienna 0 0%
Reston 1 5.56%
Leesburg 3 16.67%
Manassas 1 5.56%
Herndon 4 22.22%
Warrenton 1 5.56%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2020, 09:23 PM

4,446 posts, read 4,362,608 times

Advertisements

NOVA has a lot of nice downtown's for a suburban area. I'm curious which downtown area in NOVA outside of Alexandria or anything in Arlington county is your personal favorite.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2020, 09:58 PM

26,711 posts, read 41,907,747 times
Falls Church. They have a nice cluster of restaurants at Broad and Rt 29.

Old 05-20-2020, 05:53 PM

235 posts, read 116,233 times
I would chose Fredericksburg it’s part of NOVA I don’t know why it isn’t in the survey. How can Warrenton be included and not Fredericksburg?

Old 05-31-2020, 01:15 AM

73 posts, read 39,457 times
I have explored more of the lakes, streams, and trails, and of the cities mentioned since before Phase 1, and aside from the various trail walks or the dog park near my home in Arlington, I spent the most time in Fairfax, but it by no means offers the best fishing, but very nice. I've spent more time outside during the global lockdown than before.

Old 06-13-2020, 09:51 AM

5 posts, read 4,408 times
It depends for whom and for what. Manassas and Reston are larger for walking (with less traffic). Some have more restaurants and bars, as is Fairfax (and more traffic). Falls Church is nice for that, too, but for a family with young kids, walking along W Broad St is not ideal. In that case, Vienna is the best. Some have parks and trails nearby. So it really depends. There is also artsy Del Ray, and Ballston for nightlife.

I'm a walker, so for me, only Alexandria offers enough space and sidewalks (and WW bridge) to keep my feet happy.

Old 06-13-2020, 10:15 AM

4,147 posts, read 3,003,733 times
Where's Tyson's on this list? I'm not a resident of NoVA, but coming from California I was absolutely awestruck by the sheer modernity, vast scope, and vibrancy of Tyson's. Over in the Bay Area and SoCal there are edge cities in the suburbs, but not one can even hold a candle compared to Tyson's. Not a single suburban edge city on the West Coast will ever come close to Tyson's skyline, rapid expansion, and TOD (actually, maybe Downtown Bellevue, once it gets East Link Light rail). But coming from California, where East Bay edge cities like Concord and Walnut Creek have virtually zero high rises and visiting the rapidly growing high rise jungle of Tyson's, taking the DC Metro, which is infinitely cleaner, filled with more TOD, and more frequent and newer than the BART, to Tyson's, was a world class experience. The jump from California's decrepit infrastructure and old buildings to the startlingly clean and modern DC Metro and TOD made me feel like Marco Polo, traveling from Dark Age Italy and marveling at infinitely more advanced Imperial China.

Tyson's is light years ahead of any suburban TOD project in the Bay Area or SoCal, period.

Old 06-14-2020, 07:44 AM

8,826 posts, read 15,376,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJester View Post
Where's Tyson's on this list? I'm not a resident of NoVA, but coming from California I was absolutely awestruck by the sheer modernity, vast scope, and vibrancy of Tyson's. Over in the Bay Area and SoCal there are edge cities in the suburbs, but not one can even hold a candle compared to Tyson's. Not a single suburban edge city on the West Coast will ever come close to Tyson's skyline, rapid expansion, and TOD (actually, maybe Downtown Bellevue, once it gets East Link Light rail). But coming from California, where East Bay edge cities like Concord and Walnut Creek have virtually zero high rises and visiting the rapidly growing high rise jungle of Tyson's, taking the DC Metro, which is infinitely cleaner, filled with more TOD, and more frequent and newer than the BART, to Tyson's, was a world class experience. The jump from California's decrepit infrastructure and old buildings to the startlingly clean and modern DC Metro and TOD made me feel like Marco Polo, traveling from Dark Age Italy and marveling at infinitely more advanced Imperial China.

Tyson's is light years ahead of any suburban TOD project in the Bay Area or SoCal, period.
Interesting take. I wouldn’t have thought as Tyson’s as a “downtown”, but rather more of an “area” of that makes sense. I will say the skyline is quite striking at night when you approach on 495 out of MD.

Old 06-14-2020, 07:47 AM

4,147 posts, read 3,003,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbwc View Post
Interesting take. I wouldn’t have thought as Tyson’s as a “downtown”, but rather more of an “area” of that makes sense. I will say the skyline is quite striking at night when you approach on 495 out of MD.
If Reason is on this list, then how is Tyson's not? You don't have to have history to be a Downtown. A new shiny high rise CBD is also a downtown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia