Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2020, 02:59 PM

1 posts, read 1,082 times

Advertisements

How bad is the traffic in the Alexandria, Va area? I recently got a job offer to work in old town Alexandria and I will be relocating from Ohio. I am not sure how bad is the traffic down there. I was looking at apartments in Herndon area specifically The Point at Monroe Place. If you could give me any insight of the traffic or this apartment complex I greatly appreciate it! I appreciate any advice you can give me also.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2020, 05:12 PM

2,090 posts, read 4,244,907 times
That would be a terrible commute. Look for something closer to Alexandria.

Old 05-22-2020, 08:12 PM

1,159 posts, read 1,288,748 times
Old Town Alexandria has some of the worst traffic in a very bad traffic region. I have to mentally prepare myself to go down there. Herndon is in no way close. That would be brutal.

Old 05-22-2020, 09:00 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,718,665 times
There is really no good reason to live in Herndon is you are working in Alexandria. You would be best served looking right in Alexandria (probably the West End or along Rt 1 South of the Capital Beltway) for apartments if financially possible.

Old 05-23-2020, 06:11 AM

20,096 posts, read 8,998,912 times
Depends on your work hours. If they're standard business hours, expect 3 hours a day.

Old 05-23-2020, 07:04 AM

349 posts, read 243,671 times
Before COVID I was driving from Herndon (near the airport) to Clarendon in Arlington. Mornings: took toll road part of the way (got off before the 3.25 toll plaza) and back roads the rest of the way. If I left before 7am, it could take me an hour or less. Going home, leaving around 5, no toll roads (to save money) and would usually be an hour and 15 minutes. Stop and go traffic. Longer if there was an accident.

Alexandria is even farther. I hated my commute. It’s nice to have gotten a break to work at home (although not liking the reason!). I estimated I was in the car 11 hours/week, at least! That’s time I could sleep in, work out, spend with my husband and dogs. Granted, would have been too expensive to live closer (hence one of the many reasons we are leaving the area next month). I would not recommend that long of a commute.

Old 05-23-2020, 11:38 AM

2,262 posts, read 2,396,074 times
Is there a specific reason why you're looking at Herndon? That'd be a pretty bad commute, you're going from one side of the region to the other side... you should look at something closer to Alexandria.

Old 05-26-2020, 07:50 AM

152 posts, read 179,842 times
I have lived in Herndon for over 30 years and jobs have changed during that time so sometimes the commute isn't what you started off with.

My wife has been commuting to Old Town Alexandria from Herndon since last August. We have both decided to not use the toll road most of the time.

Pre-Covid, she left our house at 7 AM and arrived in Old Town before 8 AM utilizing, Rte 7, the beltway and then Rte 1 North. She told me that the Beltway was always a breeze for her at that time.

Coming home, leaving between 4:30 and 5, it would often take an hour and a half to get home. Part of that additional time as getting out of Old Town as the 1 way nature of Rte 1 makes it difficult to get back to the Beltway due to the timing of lights.

Old 05-26-2020, 11:41 AM

8,673 posts, read 22,905,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikemapva View Post
I have lived in Herndon for over 30 years and jobs have changed during that time so sometimes the commute isn't what you started off with.

My wife has been commuting to Old Town Alexandria from Herndon since last August. We have both decided to not use the toll road most of the time.

Pre-Covid, she left our house at 7 AM and arrived in Old Town before 8 AM utilizing, Rte 7, the beltway and then Rte 1 North. She told me that the Beltway was always a breeze for her at that time.

Coming home, leaving between 4:30 and 5, it would often take an hour and a half to get home. Part of that additional time as getting out of Old Town as the 1 way nature of Rte 1 makes it difficult to get back to the Beltway due to the timing of lights.
How long is it taking her now, with COVID lockdown? I suspect we may have accidently stumbled along a fix to traffic issues. This was a perfect trial run and a case to be made for businesses to receive tax incentives for home-based employees. It's cheaper than adding new bridges and new highways.

And I do not see us returning to prior levels anytime soon (eventually, yes). Already, we are hearing about schools going in shifts, employers recognizing the childcare challenges and opening up telecommuting. I know our Tyson's Corner based office is giving serious consideration to work from home options. We need to just for accommodating social distancing in the work place. Three major internet companies have already announced employees do not have to return to the office if they do not want to.

Will there be a time we forget about face masks and hand sanitizer? Probably, but expect it to take awhile and enjoy the commute during that time.

Old 05-26-2020, 01:42 PM

152 posts, read 179,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartMoney View Post
How long is it taking her now, with COVID lockdown? I suspect we may have accidently stumbled along a fix to traffic issues. This was a perfect trial run and a case to be made for businesses to receive tax incentives for home-based employees. It's cheaper than adding new bridges and new highways.

And I do not see us returning to prior levels anytime soon (eventually, yes). Already, we are hearing about schools going in shifts, employers recognizing the childcare challenges and opening up telecommuting. I know our Tyson's Corner based office is giving serious consideration to work from home options. We need to just for accommodating social distancing in the work place. Three major internet companies have already announced employees do not have to return to the office if they do not want to.

Will there be a time we forget about face masks and hand sanitizer? Probably, but expect it to take awhile and enjoy the commute during that time.

She hasn't been back in the office for work since it started.

We did make a run over there to grab something from her office (not during rush hour) and I think it was between 30 and 45 minutes.

I work in Tyson's and have not been in the office since March 13th. We're slowly going to be starting back in June, but i may not be back until July. Probably more work from home after that as well.

It's so weird how light the traffic is now. I've driven to Herndon a couple of times during "rush hour" times from the Woodbridge/Lorton area and it's crazy how little traffic there has been between 5 and 6 PM.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia