Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2020, 06:55 AM

13 posts, read 10,357 times

Advertisements

I'm having trouble figuring out commute times and need to make a decision very soon about whether an afternoon commute from Fort Belvoir to about 10 mi west of Annapolis is feasible. Prior to the pandemic, did anybody have any real world experience with this commute at some point during the afternoon, say three or four p.m.? I realize it could be 2 hours plus if there's an accident, but what is day-to-day?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2020, 04:46 PM

64 posts, read 64,841 times
I can’t answer your specific question; however, try using Google maps using the route you would use (starting/ending points). Then use the feature to enter the departure time and day of the week. Google will give you a range of times based upon historical data.

Old 05-24-2020, 05:50 PM

15,430 posts, read 25,807,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wileycolorado View Post
I'm having trouble figuring out commute times and need to make a decision very soon about whether an afternoon commute from Fort Belvoir to about 10 mi west of Annapolis is feasible. Prior to the pandemic, did anybody have any real world experience with this commute at some point during the afternoon, say three or four p.m.? I realize it could be 2 hours plus if there's an accident, but what is day-to-day?
Early afternoon would be no problem, but traffic gets really bad later, in my experience.

Old 05-25-2020, 05:03 AM

989 posts, read 456,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
Early afternoon would be no problem, but traffic gets really bad later, in my experience.
Pre-pandemic, I was driving south on 95 at around 3:15 near Ft. Belvoir. Going north was always backed up. Not sure why; wasn't always that way but it has been for a couple of years now. If you were going to get to Annapolis via cutting through DC and over to 50 (which is the most direct route and I used to do that on Saturdays heading to Ocean City) it also won't be very good. I'm going to assume that if you take the beltway around to 50, that will be fine, for the most part. You will be hitting the early rush hour once you get up to the Rt. 50 area but it's not awful. I'm sorry I can't give you a time frame.

Old 05-25-2020, 05:07 AM

45,355 posts, read 60,546,019 times
Belvoir to Annapolis. Did you ever see Lord of the Rings and what happened on the way to Mordor?

Old 05-25-2020, 06:12 AM

5,014 posts, read 6,601,408 times
I've found in general pre- and pandemic drive times for rush hour are halved or doubled, depending on which way you're looking thru the lens. So if it takes you 45 minutes now on average, when traffic comes back, then you can expect 90 minutes as the usual drive time.

Old 05-25-2020, 07:17 AM

9,878 posts, read 14,122,777 times
Wouldn't that commute just be hellish in the summer as you would be fighting with everyone else headed to the shore?

Old 05-26-2020, 11:57 AM

1,750 posts, read 2,400,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wileycolorado View Post
I see that you have not had very many experienced responses. You describe an unusual commute. I have never regularly commuted that route either, but over the past couple years I have driven that route (weekday and weekend) every other month to visit family near Annapolis and on the Maryland Eastern Shore. I can tell you that on the weekend, with zero traffic issues, I can make it from Franconia (very near Belvoir) in (barely) less than an hour to Annapolis. During normal M-F traffic flow, it takes me an hour twenty minutes to an hour forty minutes from Franconia to the Annapolis western suburbs. Allow an hour and 45 minutes for regular traffic patterns and you should usually have an ample margin. Always check traffic conditions on Google Maps before starting in order to look out for traffic issues and keep Waze App open to monitor popup issue horrors. Keep WTOP News on your radio to listen for disasters within ten minutes as they happen. If/when there is a major traffic incidence on your route, it can (potentially) add hours.

Standard choke points on your proposed route: Woodrow Wilson Bridge, 495 Route 214 interchange, 495/Rt 50 exit, Rt 50/97.

Old 06-01-2020, 12:26 PM

13 posts, read 10,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ersatz View Post
I see that you have not had very many experienced responses. You describe an unusual commute. I have never regularly commuted that route either, but over the past couple years I have driven that route (weekday and weekend) every other month to visit family near Annapolis and on the Maryland Eastern Shore. I can tell you that on the weekend, with zero traffic issues, I can make it from Franconia (very near Belvoir) in (barely) less than an hour to Annapolis. During normal M-F traffic flow, it takes me an hour twenty minutes to an hour forty minutes from Franconia to the Annapolis western suburbs. Allow an hour and 45 minutes for regular traffic patterns and you should usually have an ample margin. Always check traffic conditions on Google Maps before starting in order to look out for traffic issues and keep Waze App open to monitor popup issue horrors. Keep WTOP News on your radio to listen for disasters within ten minutes as they happen. If/when there is a major traffic incidence on your route, it can (potentially) add hours.

Standard choke points on your proposed route: Woodrow Wilson Bridge, 495 Route 214 interchange, 495/Rt 50 exit, Rt 50/97.
This is amazingly helpful. Thanks for the thorough information.

Old 06-02-2020, 02:48 PM

3,307 posts, read 9,380,579 times
Average of 90-120 minutes seems about right.

I've never "commuted" this way but have taken plenty of afternoon trips from the Alexandria area to points east of Annapolis. Beltway is always rough. 50 can be ok or it can be a mess for miles before the Bay Bridge. Definitely worse in the summer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia