Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-02-2020, 10:11 AM

9 posts, read 7,573 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I am trying to find out about Hollin Meadow Elementary School and have been only been able to find information on various forums pre-2017.

I am considering houses in this area. The rating on GreatSchools is a 2 and a quick look at Schooldigger.com indicates that over 58% of the students receive free or reduced lunch.

I know that Alexandria Schools in Fairfax are not great with the exception of Waynewood Elementary. I'm also aware that Sanburg and WestPo aren't great either and apparently there is gang activity, although I've read that kids do graduate from there and go to some great colleges. I've also read that kids witness a few fights per year vs. gang activity.

What can you tell me about Hollin Meadow that realtors can't? Do people who buy homes in the $700K and up range send their kids to private school? If I say I live in that area will people look at me funny - i.e., why would you live there if you could get a similar house in the Waynewood area for a little more -- the answer is that the homes I've seen in the Hollin Meadow area are in better shape than the homes in Waynewood and I can't afford a big fixer-upper project.

Another concern is commute to NW which seems like it would be far. We'd prefer to commute by metro rather than drive. Also wondering what the commute would be like if we did drive, and the other concern is having to do most errands on Richmond Highway. Is it stop and go all day ( I'm referring to pre-Covid-19 since everything is different now, but thinking ahead to when everything resumes back to "normal.")

Thanks for any insight you can provide.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2020, 10:12 AM

1 posts, read 289 times
I used to teach there a few years ago. There are many after school activities and it's a math and science focused school. Many if not most of the children in the neighborhood attend private school. The students that attend HMES come from a large apartment complex that's about 2 miles away. It's a title 1 school so most of the students qualify for free and reduced lunch. If your children are high achievers, they will stand out in good way. Sometimes it's better to be a big fish in a small pond. As far as commuting, you would need to take a bus to the train station. Route 1 is usually backed up. I hope this helps!

Old 07-07-2020, 02:53 PM

9 posts, read 7,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dxxldiva View Post
I used to teach there a few years ago. There are many after school activities and it's a math and science focused school. Many if not most of the children in the neighborhood attend private school. The students that attend HMES come from a large apartment complex that's about 2 miles away. It's a title 1 school so most of the students qualify for free and reduced lunch. If your children are high achievers, they will stand out in good way. Sometimes it's better to be a big fish in a small pond. As far as commuting, you would need to take a bus to the train station. Route 1 is usually backed up. I hope this helps!
Thank you, it does help and especially from a teacher's perspective. We were on Richmond Highway on Saturday and it was pretty busy so I've got a bit of a taste of the traffic and can only imagine how much worse it could be once stores, businesses and schools are reopened. That would be a problem for us and private school tuition could be another. The house hunt continues.

Thanks again!

Old 07-08-2020, 07:30 AM

3,109 posts, read 2,994,231 times
You might even be able to get your kid into the gifted program without an attorney.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia