Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2020, 07:41 AM

8 posts, read 15,251 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,

We’re a family of 5, with 3 boys (12y twins and 14y). We just moved to Ashburn from the Midwest.
My kids are very athletic and active and were used to burn a lot of energy playing sport (Basketball, football, cross country, etc.) and just spending hours (literally) on our backyard trampoline.

They also had a lot of friends.

We’re now in a new area, social interactions are hampered by the pandemic and many activities seem to be on hold or canceled.

1. Can you give me any suggestion that could get my teens out, active and socializing in the area (in a safe, social distancing manner of course)?
2. Any Public basketball courts in the area?
3. Tennis courts or tennis camp?
4. Summer camps that currently accept teens?
5. Basketball or soccer teams that accept new players?

In brief, any suggestion on how to stay Covid19 safe yet continue to be a social animal in a new environment?

I appreciate you help
Sobb
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2020, 11:39 AM

235 posts, read 115,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sobb View Post
Hello everyone,

We’re a family of 5, with 3 boys (12y twins and 14y). We just moved to Ashburn from the Midwest.
My kids are very athletic and active and were used to burn a lot of energy playing sport (Basketball, football, cross country, etc.) and just spending hours (literally) on our backyard trampoline.

They also had a lot of friends.

We’re now in a new area, social interactions are hampered by the pandemic and many activities seem to be on hold or canceled.

1. Can you give me any suggestion that could get my teens out, active and socializing in the area (in a safe, social distancing manner of course)?
2. Any Public basketball courts in the area?
3. Tennis courts or tennis camp?
4. Summer camps that currently accept teens?
5. Basketball or soccer teams that accept new players?

In brief, any suggestion on how to stay Covid19 safe yet continue to be a social animal in a new environment?

I appreciate you help
Sobb
This is Northern Virginia you can find parks everywhere with courts, and if you live in an HOA they probably have a park with courts. Summer camps aren’t really happening rt now cause of COVID. Your school’s basketball team or soccer team in high school accepts new players every year at tryouts. My kids were home for most of quarantine but slowly our neighborhood is becoming more and more normal and I’m not allowing them to go not to their best friend’s houses cause of COVID but our cul de sac has a lot of kids playing outside so they maintain a distance and play and socialize. One of the things about NOVA which is pretty different is lots of kids start friend groups in early middle school and they don’t change. But in military communities people are always making new friends and groups because they move around a lot. Best thing to do is start socializing with the neighbors kids and go from there. It’ll allow them to learn about their new school and have some friends and a few connections when they go back. Whenever that might be.

Old 08-09-2020, 06:39 AM

Thank you.
Our HOA has closed the pool and park due to Covid. As I look around it seems to me that all pools and basketball courts are part of different HOAs and communities, not open to the public.

Are you aware of any pool or basket ball court open to the general public?
Thanks

Old 08-09-2020, 08:05 AM

12,905 posts, read 15,658,187 times
Quote:
Thank you.
Our HOA has closed the pool and park due to Covid. As I look around it seems to me that all pools and basketball courts are part of different HOAs and communities, not open to the public.

Thanks
Unfortunately I don't live in your area so can't speak to that, but you may have better luck joining the Next Door site for neighborhood area. I participate on that site for that includes all neighborhoods in an 8 mile radius of my home. I'm sure each segment of the site can be more or less active than others, but I think the site is gold mine for connecting with neighbors close to you and finding out the type of information you are looking for.

Old 08-09-2020, 08:46 AM

9,879 posts, read 14,125,760 times
Quote:

Thanks
Middleburg Community Pool is open to the public.

Old 08-09-2020, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
Unfortunately I don't live in your area so can't speak to that, but you may have better luck joining the Next Door site for neighborhood area. I participate on that site for that includes all neighborhoods in an 8 mile radius of my home. I'm sure each segment of the site can be more or less active than others, but I think the site is gold mine for connecting with neighbors close to you and finding out the type of information you are looking for.
Thank you very much.

Old 08-09-2020, 11:12 AM

235 posts, read 115,221 times
If you live in the Landsowne, Belmont Country Club area they’re are 9 county public parks within 5 miles.

Old 08-10-2020, 10:27 AM

6,560 posts, read 8,391,660 times
Actually, there are summer camps happening in the region. I suggest Googling summer camps in Ashburn and seeing what's available and if their COVID protocols are acceptable to you.

Also, in addition to the NextDoor site see if there's a FB group for residents of your neighborhood/HOA. Your HOA might have a listserv as well. Some HOAs can be super helpful with things like that.

If you don't already, get the whole family bicycles. There are lots of places to ride and that's a good social distancing activity. Golf, tennis are also good sports to try.

Old 08-10-2020, 10:30 AM

957 posts, read 2,021,692 times
While it may be hard if your children don't know anyone, there is plenty to do and is open.

Loudoun opened school facilities a month or so back, so you can find kids playing at the outdoor basketball hoops.
i know there are several basketball day camps running (Going from memory Willie Diggs had some, Slam City had some, and I'm sure plenty of others) as well as small group/individual sessions (for an hour or so) at Dynamic Hoops, Evolution basketball, and others. FWIW, I think the small group training sessions are doing a good job of social distancing (at least the ones i heard about) while I know at least one of the basketball camps has been pretty much full on basketball, and not distant at all.

As for joining a team -- if you are talking competitive/"travel" I'm sure some will have tryouts, but at least a few teams I know are skipping them this fall due to the current situation. Best bet is to find some teams in the area and make some phone calls or send emails. Many that don't have tryouts would still take a look at a kid during a practice or something. Rec leagues in the area are varying their approach, some taking registration on a "lets see what happens" and some aren't.

Old 08-10-2020, 03:18 PM

4,899 posts, read 7,446,560 times
I’m out of the area now, but have you check Ida Lee (it must be open, I saw a news story about a woman being mugged last week) or the Sports Pavilion on Ashburn Village Parkway?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
View detailed profiles of: