Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2020, 10:30 AM

4,038 posts, read 1,907,486 times

Advertisements

I try to emphasize to anyone with an open mind to simply be aware of the actual risk versus the Hollywood risk.

Our national goal right now is NOT to prevent you - personally - from ever catching COVID. Nope. It's to prevent a LARGE NUMBER of people from catching it simultaneously.

You should do whatever you can to avoid being part of the 2nd scenario - and not worry so much about the first.

You should not WANT to catch it, nor flaunt your chances, but in the same way that you do not want to catch salmonella. Just because "most folks" survive doesn't mean I want it. But I also don't edit my entire life in an effort to avoid it, either. Your chances of catching COVID are slim, and your chances of knowing it are about half, and your chances of being hospitalized are also slim. Your chances of being killed in your car to avoid the train are almost certainly greater.

Obviously, if you're a caregiver, or advanced in years, or have complications, things are different for you. The risks are greater. But the risks are greater for you for a number of things, not just COVID.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2020, 10:48 AM

6,891 posts, read 4,348,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roodd279 View Post
I try to emphasize to anyone with an open mind to simply be aware of the actual risk versus the Hollywood risk.

Our national goal right now is NOT to prevent you - personally - from ever catching COVID. Nope. It's to prevent a LARGE NUMBER of people from catching it simultaneously.

You should do whatever you can to avoid being part of the 2nd scenario - and not worry so much about the first.

You should not WANT to catch it, nor flaunt your chances, but in the same way that you do not want to catch salmonella. Just because "most folks" survive doesn't mean I want it. But I also don't edit my entire life in an effort to avoid it, either. Your chances of catching COVID are slim, and your chances of knowing it are about half, and your chances of being hospitalized are also slim. Your chances of being killed in your car to avoid the train are almost certainly greater.

Obviously, if you're a caregiver, or advanced in years, or have complications, things are different for you. The risks are greater. But the risks are greater for you for a number of things, not just COVID.

Anyone who is in any way part of a risk group should be aware of this fact, but perhaps not in the way you intend to mean it. If you absolutely can't afford to get Covid-19 because it would mean likely serious illness and quite possibly death for you then you need to apply a stricter standard to your behavior than others who don't have that concern.

As you say - the measures taken - aren't designed to rule out the possibility of you getting Covid-19, so not necessarily everything that is 'allowed' is advisable for you as a person at risk.

Old 09-22-2020, 01:45 PM

197 posts, read 168,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
I feel like this isn't happening where I work.
different places... different budgets... different paces...

folks in springfield vs folks in dc/md border are having much different experiences right now...

only commonality is everyone is ignoring the school situations.

Old 09-22-2020, 04:05 PM

1,169 posts, read 1,439,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roodd279 View Post

Very well said! I strongly agree with this!

Old 09-22-2020, 04:07 PM

61,286 posts, read 87,628,758 times
I would not ride public transport much before c19
Ugly and sometimes violent

Old 09-23-2020, 05:49 PM

558 posts, read 719,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
I would not ride public transport much before c19
Ugly and sometimes violent
Ha, probably better you stay in the burbs where it's safe.

Old 10-07-2020, 06:08 AM

512 posts, read 446,512 times
For me, as a woman, I would be afraid more of this than COVID.

Suspect sought in attempted rape aboard Silver Line train in Virginia

https://wtop.com/virginia/2020/10/su...n-in-virginia/

I used to take that route pre-COVID and if I had to take the metro off peak hrs. I did not get on the rail car where there was only me and another male passenger. During peak hrs. there were mostly working professionals on the train but off peak hrs. not so much. In short, women have more than just COVID to worry about when taking the metro.

Last edited by EmiSky; 10-07-2020 at 06:09 AM.. Reason: Typo

Old 10-07-2020, 12:13 PM

6,891 posts, read 4,348,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmiSky View Post
For me, as a woman, I would be afraid more of this than COVID.

Suspect sought in attempted rape aboard Silver Line train in Virginia

https://wtop.com/virginia/2020/10/su...n-in-virginia/

I used to take that route pre-COVID and if I had to take the metro off peak hrs. I did not get on the rail car where there was only me and another male passenger. During peak hrs. there were mostly working professionals on the train but off peak hrs. not so much. In short, women have more than just COVID to worry about when taking the metro.
Silver Line during the off-peak hours can be a bit dodgy. I used to sometimes take it to go to the mall or the Walmart. It's pretty empty, but it seems like you get an almost even mix between the odd folks heading to or from Dulles and random drifter types. I guess just like on the Red line the long distances between the stops and the relative emptiness of the trains towards the end of the line attracts folks up to no good.

I imagine that during Covid with the airports not being used much the airport-related travel has been much reduced, so it likely skews even more toward the 'up to no good' crowd.

Old 10-07-2020, 04:07 PM

158 posts, read 130,593 times
I would honestly feel safe without a mask, would I wear one to have an extra layer of safety, sure. Family of nurses, friends in the medical field all say the numbers are inflated...quote "why would we get nothing for showing the cause of death as pneumonia when we can make $11k to $22k for a COVID death?"

Old 10-08-2020, 09:44 AM

15,176 posts, read 27,929,181 times
NOT TRUE!! Doctors/hospitals aren't paid more for giving another cause of death!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
View detailed profiles of: