Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2020, 01:12 PM

8,678 posts, read 22,988,780 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoVaRan View Post
I've gotten 4 (out of 5) estimates so far (and 1 out the 4 is a handyman type). I have a small tall foyer/entrance (about 4'x5'), a few nail pops, and no dark paint colors. I used to live in an area where "big house prices" exist. Where I am moving now is not...different county and all.

SO here you go for your information. I will need about 30+ gallons of paint (prefer Benjamin Moore) and painting everything inside. Wonder how much less if waited until winter.

1. $8K (Unknown brand paint included)

2. $11k+ (BM paint cost included)

3. $12k (BM paint cost included)

4. $7.3k (paint cost NOT included)
Wow, BM paint runs $43 to $80 per gallon. Not sure why I am surprised, Sherwin Wms was $95 a gallon for their premium mix, but I got his discount that dropped the cost by over 40%. Definitely check out that angle, because if #4 is signed up with a store and you can get his discount, it's worth checking into.

I would think the most opportune time to book would be December for January. But I have found those with good reputations are booked nonstop. Someone that's available when you snap your fingers, there's a reason why.

What does your gut tell you? Are you painting it all the same color? Is the house empty or loaded with furniture? And finally, did you get any of them from lead generation sites, where you fill out a questionnaire like Home Advisor, Houzz or Angies List? Then they all call you incessantly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2020, 02:32 PM

15,176 posts, read 27,929,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartMoney View Post
Wow, BM paint runs $43 to $80 per gallon. Not sure why I am surprised, Sherwin Wms was $95 a gallon for their premium mix, but I got his discount that dropped the cost by over 40%. Definitely check out that angle, because if #4 is signed up with a store and you can get his discount, it's worth checking into.

I would think the most opportune time to book would be December for January. But I have found those with good reputations are booked nonstop. Someone that's available when you snap your fingers, there's a reason why.

What does your gut tell you? Are you painting it all the same color? Is the house empty or loaded with furniture? And finally, did you get any of them from lead generation sites, where you fill out a questionnaire like Home Advisor, Houzz or Angies List? Then they all call you incessantly.
Learned that the hard way! Home Advisor especially! IMMEDIATE calls ! Years ago actually contacted a company to have some work done (new deck, etc.) - company went out of business after taking my deposit

Good luck OP - seems like everyone is out to take advantage of people. Ask your neighbors!

Old 10-24-2020, 06:41 PM

1,883 posts, read 2,837,551 times
I have 2400 sq house, trying to get half of my house painted, got quoted for $4k including paint. so I think your quote is fair, if they use good paint.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
View detailed profiles of: