Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2020, 01:39 PM

3 posts, read 2,796 times

Advertisements

Hi all sorry in advance if this is repetitive, scrolling is a touch difficult on site on mobile.

I’m moving to Fairfax or loundon county for jobs and more space. Currently located in Arlington. Jobs are in Reston and Chantilly/centreville (if we ever go back). Falls church is still a kind of far commute. We’ve found some stuff in our price range via Zillow and FB that has what we are looking for. We’d love to live near mosaic, oneloundon, or Reston town center but 2be with outdoor space costs big dollars there. So we’ve mostly settled on Reston, herndon, Vienna, and Ashburn but open to others.

However, I’m very unfamiliar with that area. Is there anywhere to avoid in terms of safety.
I’d prefer to avoid things like burglary, smashed windows, etc but I’m not concerned about petty crime (loitering, graffiti, pick pocketing, kinda stuff). I’d really like to avoid however mugging, stabbings, rape, shootings, dog theft, and carjacking esp if I walk my dog in the complex or yard by myself at night or stay home and have a ground floor entrance.

. However, I’ve heard rumors from friends parents who have lived here forever that Fairfax co has some not nice parts. Since I’ve lived in the DMV I’ve lived in Baileys crossroads on the pike, whatever the area between north del ray and the Glebe exit of 395, lee highway north of 66 exit, a month subletting in Columbia heights, and north Charles street in Baltimore which I also see as marked on the internet as somewhat dangerous areas.

Is there anywhere to avoid safety or renter friendly towns/areas I’ve missed for 20somethings. Happy to provide any more information that would help with recommendations
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2020, 03:30 PM

2,090 posts, read 4,245,857 times
Reston would be a great place to live. Respond with your budget and expectations and I'll give you my suggestions for Reston.

Old 10-01-2020, 04:01 PM

2,262 posts, read 2,396,074 times
Fairfax County has changed somewhat in the last decade but it's still Fairfax, you'll be more than fine. Agreed with the Reston suggestion, specifically North Reston near RTC. I'd avoid South Reston as there is some crime issues around the Hunters Woods Village Center. But there's lots of jobs in the Herndon/Dulles area.

Loudoun is OK but it's super far out so if you're not concerned about your commute, your money goes much further out there but it's far from everything.

Old 10-01-2020, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JfromReston View Post
Reston would be a great place to live. Respond with your budget and expectations and I'll give you my suggestions for Reston.
I think I did this reply thing correct. We’re looking for a 2be -or 1 and a den or some combo thereof with more walls than an open plan one bedroom for WFH purposes - with one full bath (anything else is a bonus) and some outdoor space. Doesn’t seem to be the high rises with this requirement of outside space. Absolute including average utilities, even if I pay bill separate from rent, and parking is $2100 a month. RTC is our how
but I’m open to other areas!

We’ve see a lot (not all in Reston) in lake Anne which I think is cute and my boyfriend doesn’t, the cascades, east of mosaic on 50, greenbrier, clairborne parkway, oak hill, McNair, willow creek, and over by the Reston golf course. Mostly south of 267/66 but north of 50 in those areas!

Old 10-01-2020, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVA_guy View Post
Fairfax County has changed somewhat in the last decade but it's still Fairfax, you'll be more than fine. Agreed with the Reston suggestion, specifically North Reston near RTC. I'd avoid South Reston as there is some crime issues around the Hunters Woods Village Center. But there's lots of jobs in the Herndon/Dulles area.

Loudoun is OK but it's super far out so if you're not concerned about your commute, your money goes much further out there but it's far from everything.
Thank you! A lot of what we’ve seen in our want to spend is definitely south Reston (assuming 267 is the dividing line here). It’s pandemic and want to move in a year so really safety and cost of living for outdoor space matters most. I’ll definitely look into loundon than since commute doesn’t matter! Thanks so much NOVA_guy!!

Old 10-01-2020, 07:44 PM

15,142 posts, read 27,765,913 times
You haven't stated what budget you have - that makes a big difference. Since you are local, I assume you know how to look up crime statistics, etc.? And its Loudoun County

Old 10-01-2020, 08:56 PM

22,452 posts, read 11,972,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
You haven't stated what budget you have - that makes a big difference. Since you are local, I assume you know how to look up crime statistics, etc.? And its Loudoun County
In post #4, the budget listed is $2100/month

Old 10-02-2020, 09:34 AM

2,090 posts, read 4,245,857 times
Here is my pick of what is currently on the market. It is across the street from South Lakes Village Center - Starbucks, groceries, restaurants, drug store, banks, gas station.

https://www.brightmlshomes.com/renta...0191-304666931

Also check out Ivy Bush Court - near the Walker Nature Center with great walking trails - bigger units, but not as updated.
https://www.brightmlshomes.com/renta...0191-304786636
https://www.brightmlshomes.com/renta...0191-303670929

As for the south side of Reston - I live here and love it - in general the farther east you go on the south side of Reston the better the neighborhoods. I don't recommend much that is west of Reston Parkway on the south side.

Old 10-02-2020, 10:25 AM

37 posts, read 30,188 times
Well if you want a pretty specific guideline for Reston, anywhere in Reston will be very safe except a few places that all happen to be:

south of South Lakes Drive
AND
west of Soapstone Drive
AND
east of Fairfax County Parkway

So as long as you don't look there then it should be 100% fine.

Old 10-02-2020, 01:54 PM

158 posts, read 128,652 times
In regards to Loudoun, everything west of 28 and east of 15 is the exact same. Basically 3 or 4 huge non descript developments. You can't find anything negative or really anything positive to say about it. Around One Loudoun will cost you, sure it's nice to be able to walk to a few restaurants but you'll get tired of them after a while. I'd try Loudoun Station if you want that feel plus you get the benefit of having, eventually, a metro station.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia