Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-17-2020, 02:31 AM

118 posts, read 190,076 times

Advertisements

I've lived in the Clarendon/Courthouse area and have spent lots of time walking the area. My wife, daughter and I love it. Unfortunately the cost of living there is just too high (for now). Currently, I am outside the U.S., but I've seen pictures of RTC and am wondering if this is a viable alternative, and does RTC compete with the Clarendon/Courthouse area as far as that 'vibe' goes.

RTC seems to be a more affordable option, but I'm wondering if it has the staying power and will it survive and thrive after covid-19. Like I said I've never actually been there so for those Reston residence, please don't take offense, I may be way off the mark, but from what I've seen it seems there's a lot to like about it; if only it could get a Barnes and Nobles. Can anyone comment on the school district there? Other areas I should consider?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2020, 09:26 AM

37 posts, read 30,188 times
I'd say the vibe is not very similar. RTC is kind of a ghost town with COVID as a lot of the activity was from offsite (office workers and shoppers). The demographic is also largely different, at least 5 years older on average.

Things might pick up again with the southward expansion (RTC Next/West/Halley Rise), metro opening (if that ever actually happens), and the end of COVID (who knows???). It's very difficult to say what will happen though.

RTC has a great potential though and if it realizes that potential it could be a standout place.

Old 11-09-2020, 10:58 PM

57 posts, read 47,041 times
I have had a different experience with RTC during COVID. I don’t know what you mean by Ghost town but every time I have been it has been very busy. I have only been going there in the evenings and on weekends (every so often) and like others I go because of all of the patio space and restaurants. It’s has always been busy (post covid opening).

Old 11-10-2020, 04:23 AM

2,145 posts, read 3,059,508 times
It did have a Barnes and noble at one point but closed a few years ago.

Old 11-10-2020, 12:09 PM

5,162 posts, read 4,483,879 times
Shirlington or possible even some of the developments near Crystal City may be more affordable than Clarendon. I also like Clarendon but it is expensive.

Old 11-17-2020, 09:30 AM

103 posts, read 183,483 times
After the parking mess, we stopped going to RTC. Many of the good restaurants have closed down. It's not the same.
If the commute is not a concern One Loudoun has good vibes. Or the Mosaic District area would be an alternative in Fairfax.

Old 11-20-2020, 08:37 PM

57 posts, read 47,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMom View Post
After the parking mess, we stopped going to RTC. Many of the good restaurants have closed down. It's not the same.
If the commute is not a concern One Loudoun has good vibes. Or the Mosaic District area would be an alternative in Fairfax.
RTC’s new parking rules are actually misunderstood. Parking is free after 5 PM and on weekends.

Old 11-21-2020, 08:54 AM

5,162 posts, read 4,483,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMVonian View Post
RTC’s new parking rules are actually misunderstood. Parking is free after 5 PM and on weekends.
That is a RTC problem, not a customer problem. They should make that clear. Frankly I have not been there since they started charging for parking and I do not miss it.

Old 11-22-2020, 09:36 AM

555 posts, read 714,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kassad View Post
I've lived in the Clarendon/Courthouse area and have spent lots of time walking the area. My wife, daughter and I love it. Unfortunately the cost of living there is just too high (for now). Currently, I am outside the U.S., but I've seen pictures of RTC and am wondering if this is a viable alternative, and does RTC compete with the Clarendon/Courthouse area as far as that 'vibe' goes.

RTC seems to be a more affordable option, but I'm wondering if it has the staying power and will it survive and thrive after covid-19. Like I said I've never actually been there so for those Reston residence, please don't take offense, I may be way off the mark, but from what I've seen it seems there's a lot to like about it; if only it could get a Barnes and Nobles. Can anyone comment on the school district there? Other areas I should consider?
It's definitely not the same vibe, as Clarendon/Courthouse are more so urban neighborhoods than RTC, which is kind of like a dense version of a drive-in, drive-out outdoor shopping mall (with fairly high levels of density and mixed uses though, making it fairly unique). RTC is a little bit of an island, being surrounded by numerous parking garages and giant arterial roads, so it isn't quite as integrated with its surrounding as the Rosslyn-Ballston corridor.

That said, I would say the future of RTC is very bright, the Metro opening nearby will no doubt increase visitors to RTC significantly, as will all the new development that is planned around the Metro. In fact, over time, such development might make the area feel and function a bit more like a true urban neighborhood as the gaps outside of RTC get filled in (i.e. the RTC would become more than just one street). I don't think it will ever be Clarendon, but I think it will,move closer to it over time.

Both areas will do just fine post-covid, which is likely to mostly end this spring given the vaccine distribution schedule.

I think the Braddock Road neighborhood in Alexandria is worth a look, given the mixed use density that is percolating there. Crystal City may also be a close option, as that neighborhood will be seeing significant infill in the coming years. If you're looking for more "outdoor shopping mall but sort of neighborhood" vibes the Mosaic District, Landstowne, RIO in MoCo, might be worth a look.

Old 11-26-2020, 05:43 AM

27,169 posts, read 43,867,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Folks3000 View Post
I think the Braddock Road neighborhood in Alexandria is worth a look, given the mixed use density that is percolating there.
I agree, the Del Ray neighborhood there has some nice appeal and the Mount Vernon Avenue commercial district gives that walkable vibe. It trends older than Clarendon to younger families (thirty-somethings), as well as some similarly aged singles/couples.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia