Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2020, 05:56 AM

550 posts, read 366,552 times

Advertisements

We have the internet. And for those rare books still just in paper form, the Library of Congress in DC is only 10-25 miles away. Why plow millions in buildings. And for those way in the minority without internet or need quiet study space, scaled down sized buildings with study cafes and a minimum selection of books on site (library staff can order others from a central large location) at lower costs capital and operating would make more sense. If vacant county owned property not already available, in this economy, plenty of empty warehouse space available locally that can be rented for cheaper for central storage.

In similar sense, its something other retail has been doing for years with examples as Capital One Bank cafes and smaller Walmarts such as the one at Tysons. We do not need copies of thousands of books at around two dozen library branches across the county.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2020, 09:57 PM

1,159 posts, read 1,290,777 times
Spoken like someone who doesn’t use the library.

I’ve borrowed $18,000 worth of physical books from the library since the start of 2020. We read around 40 books a week in our family.

They wouldn’t be buying books if they aren’t getting used. Trust me. They are.

Old 10-30-2020, 05:40 AM

32,620 posts, read 77,657,036 times
Oh, look, another socioeconomically-privileged and out-of-touch NoVA resident railing against poor people. Nice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ffxdata View Post
Spoken like someone who doesn’t use the library.

I’ve borrowed $18,000 worth of physical books from the library since the start of 2020. We read around 40 books a week in our family.

They wouldn’t be buying books if they aren’t getting used. Trust me. They are.
When I first moved to Pittsburgh and was penniless I RELIED upon our local library to use the Internet and Microsoft Word to search and apply for jobs and to type up resumes and cover letters, respectively, as I could not afford home Internet access or a laptop at the time.

I am now much more affluent, but I will always be grateful for our libraries, hence why I voted in favor of a new tax for our libraries shortly after moving here. Libraries are such an incredible resource for families who can't afford home Internet access (yes, they do still exist in 2020 in what is supposed to be the "richest" nation on Earth).

Old 10-30-2020, 06:15 AM

5,162 posts, read 4,492,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
Oh, look, another socioeconomically-privileged and out-of-touch NoVA resident railing against poor people. Nice!

When I first moved to Pittsburgh and was penniless I RELIED upon our local library to use the Internet and Microsoft Word to search and apply for jobs and to type up resumes and cover letters, respectively, as I could not afford home Internet access or a laptop at the time.
This is not about libraries in Pittsburgh. Also I am sorry you are still bitter about not making it here.

Old 10-30-2020, 07:53 AM

32,620 posts, read 77,657,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Guard View Post
This is not about libraries in Pittsburgh. Also I am sorry you are still bitter about not making it here.
Are you implying there's no parallel in NoVA? There are no socioeconomically-disadvantaged households within the confines of NoVA who could be benefit from access to a public library?

Old 10-30-2020, 09:45 AM

5,162 posts, read 4,492,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
Are you implying there's no parallel in NoVA? There are no socioeconomically-disadvantaged households within the confines of NoVA who could be benefit from access to a public library?
I am saying that your personal experiences seem to be very limited and that you could not make it in this area so seem very bitter and jealous. Sorry you could not afford to live here but if you had a more competitive skillset then you probably would have had a chance. No need to keep crying about it.

Old 10-30-2020, 01:02 PM

235 posts, read 115,380 times
Libraries one of the main parts of local government. They are absolutely necessary in the building of a strong community. Libraries are used by all populations. Poor to rich, adults and children. They not only provide community services essential, are also a safe place for kids to gather. Multiple studies show that libraries have become even more in demand during COVID-19 and before COVID library rates were steady. Libraries are essential to a community.

But I don’t see a reason for Fairfax County to expand its libraries. Almost every person is five minutes away from one which I think is a bit to excessive. Fairfax County already has a whopping 23 libraries. Stafford County currently only has two and I think it could benefit from two more. I think a library bond for Fairfax County is a bit unnecessary. Not because libraries are unused, but because they already have a good enough library system and don’t need more money. 90 million for improvements for four libraries is something the county can find without a bond. And it is irresponsible for the county government to undertake a bond at a time when many county governments are facing budget shortages, and the dire economic state many people are in due to the pandemic.

Old 10-31-2020, 09:52 AM

9,175 posts, read 6,208,590 times
Libraries are not just for borrowing books. They are a wonderful resource and a good librarian can make the whole world available to you.

But I use the library for the books. The tactile feel of the book enhances the mental stimulation of reading it. The smell of a book - ink and paper. Glorious.

Old 11-01-2020, 05:34 AM

4,608 posts, read 6,440,663 times
I voted YES on
September 18.

Old 11-01-2020, 07:28 AM

4,194 posts, read 2,518,348 times
A few things about the Library of Congress: its not open to people under 16; you can't check anything out; the stacks are closed, unlike many libraries which let you roam through their bounded magazines and just browse, you can't do this in the Library of Congress, you have to know what you are looking for. It will not order a book for you to check out through interlibrary loan, since you can't check out a book.

There is in other words things a local library can do that the Library of Congress can't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
View detailed profiles of: