Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2020, 06:42 AM

3 posts, read 3,942 times

Advertisements

Good morning ,

Any cleared IT folks want to comment on the market in the DMV? I know the COL is high, how does everyone make it ? do the positions really pay 250K+ without a SCI+(YW)

For reference I work in Cyber/ RMF Undergrad MIS and an MBA I hold several(14+) certs but the highlights are below.

DoDI 8570.01-M IAT Level-III Compliant Certification
DoDI 8570.01-M IAM Level-III Compliant Certification
DoDI 8570.01-M IASAE Level-II Compliant Certification
DoDI 8570.01-M CSSP Analyst Compliant Certification
DoDI 8570.01-M CSSP Infrastructure Support Compliant Certification
DoDI 8570.01-M CSSP Incident Responder Compliant Certification
DoDI 8570.01-M CSSP Auditor Compliant Certification
DoDI 8570.01-M CSSP Manager Compliant Certification

I would be relocating 4 people and a dog

Also do positions sponsor clearances for native arabic speakers ?

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2020, 07:24 AM

Location: IN>Germany>ND>OH>TX>CA>Currently NoVa and a Vacation Lake House in PA
3,259 posts, read 4,330,509 times
I have a TS/SCI and do not make $250k+, but I work for the federal government where us "overpaid" feds don't make that kind of money. I'm a GS-15, so feel free to look up my salary range.

https://www.opm.gov/policy-data-over.../html/DCB.aspx

As a contractor, I sincerely doubt there are many making $250k+ just due to their clearance. Director level on up do I'm sure, but not front line security workers.

As far as making it, we don't have any trouble, and you shouldn't either. Depending on where your job is housing is not that crazy. We live in Fairfax county near the Loudoun county line and are very comfortable at my federal salary along with my wife's. She's a pet groomer, so she's not bringing home anything crazy either. Our home is in the $550k range, and I commute into DC via the Silver Line which is 5 miles from my house. My commute is between 1:15 and 1:30 hours each way. There are a ton of good cyber jobs on the Leesburg Pike corridor, so a commute into DC may not even be required.

I an not an Arabic speaker and when I was hired for my current position at the end of March I was sponsored by my agency. It's agency specific obviously. I think a lot of it depends on how bad they want you, and available funds. The background took 5 months to complete.

Honestly, I think the area is great for cyber folks. Lots of opportunities.

Old 12-27-2020, 07:34 AM

Thanks ,

in the DFW ( Dallas area you can pull 140K-180K). We have a small house and are looking to buy another one 600K would be the max.

I appreciate your feedback. The wife wants me to look into GS work because it makes her feel more secure. Front like ISSEs and Cyber Folks in Texas get paid pretty well (apparently). Once right when I finished grad school I was offered a GS position and If I remember right it was a GS6 or GS7. So the idea of having an MBA and CISSP and only getting offered a 6 or 7 put a bad taste in my mouth for the GS system. I don't mind putting in the work but I also want it to be realistic .

Thanks again.

Old 12-27-2020, 07:57 AM

Location: IN>Germany>ND>OH>TX>CA>Currently NoVa and a Vacation Lake House in PA
3,259 posts, read 4,330,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nokiaman View Post
Thanks ,

in the DFW ( Dallas area you can pull 140K-180K). We have a small house and are looking to buy another one 600K would be the max.

I appreciate your feedback. The wife wants me to look into GS work because it makes her feel more secure. Front like ISSEs and Cyber Folks in Texas get paid pretty well (apparently). Once right when I finished grad school I was offered a GS position and If I remember right it was a GS6 or GS7. So the idea of having an MBA and CISSP and only getting offered a 6 or 7 put a bad taste in my mouth for the GS system. I don't mind putting in the work but I also want it to be realistic .

Thanks again.
Ya, I understand that. They lowball recent grads. You would qualify for at least the GS-13 or GS-14 grades now with your level of experience/certifications. Good luck regardless what you decide. Feel free to reach out to me if you have other questions.

Old 12-27-2020, 12:52 PM

48 posts, read 37,430 times
In this area you can make 90-110K with just a Sec+. If you have a CISSP, you will probably top out in the 180-200K range. This would depend on the contract of course.

Old 12-27-2020, 02:06 PM

857 posts, read 843,957 times
I am not in IT so cannot comment on those types of jobs and specifically pay, but I sure see a 'ton' of them advertised for the DMV area. You may be better off asking around on LinkedIn or specific recruiters.

As far as clearance goes, it seems quite a few companies want folks with active clearances already, especially in the DMV area which as you probably know is rather saturated with folks with active clearances and a various skillsets. Of course doesn't hurt to apply and see what happens.

Old 12-27-2020, 05:28 PM

9,878 posts, read 14,122,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MedvedActual View Post

As far as clearance goes, it seems quite a few companies want folks with active clearances already.
Correct. While clearances can't be transferred, employers are much more likely to hire someone that is currently cleared. It is a great risk to hire and train someone to only find out in 4-6 months that they won't pass a clearance.

Old 12-27-2020, 11:49 PM

Yes for some reason everyone on Linkedin shoots out the 120K-150K number. I will keep poking around . The goal is to get all of the ISACA certifications and the three CISSPs by the end of next year.

Old 12-29-2020, 01:10 PM

857 posts, read 843,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
Correct. While clearances can't be transferred, employers are much more likely to hire someone that is currently cleared. It is a great risk to hire and train someone to only find out in 4-6 months that they won't pass a clearance.
What do you mean by "clearances can't be transferred?" If you have an active clearance, you get 'picked up' in JPAS by a company/agency and you are good. There is no need, at least my understanding for a reinvestigation since your clearance has been active and continued to be active say post-military and it is less than 2 years and 1 day window, at which point it becomes inactive. Simplifying things here of course. Then the reinvestigation periods still apply of course.

Old 12-29-2020, 05:00 PM

48 posts, read 37,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MedvedActual View Post
What do you mean by "clearances can't be transferred?" If you have an active clearance, you get 'picked up' in JPAS by a company/agency and you are good. There is no need, at least my understanding for a reinvestigation since your clearance has been active and continued to be active say post-military and it is less than 2 years and 1 day window, at which point it becomes inactive. Simplifying things here of course. Then the reinvestigation periods still apply of course.
That is correct.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia