Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-27-2021, 05:35 AM

1,264 posts, read 2,439,758 times

Advertisements

Never been to the 'high country' resorts, looking to go for a day and back not overnight from Fairfax County.
How do these compare/which do you recommend?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2021, 08:19 AM

2,021 posts, read 4,617,686 times
All are just under three hours driving distance and have similar type ski conditions / mountain atmosphere. Canaan is a run by the state of WV as it is part of the state park system so it has less snowmaking capabilities but they have been getting plenty of natural snow this year. Timberline is under new ownership and I've heard nothing but great reviews. Wisp is perfectly fine as well. Honestly you are going to find more similarities than differences. I find Wisp gets more crowded as it is also within an easy day drive of Pittsburgh but all will be jammed if on a holiday weekend.

Last edited by NOVAmtneer82; 01-28-2021 at 08:29 AM..

Old 03-10-2021, 05:38 AM

So I went to Timberline.

-I was impressed by the snow itself, BUT the trails themselves were disappointing.

-Very small, not a big drop, not long

I have snowboarded at Whitetail, and then mainly at Windham in the Catskills, and Killington.

I thought going in the high country here would be like the Catskills but not even close.

So I am wondering, what do you recommend for me?

I snowboard, I am an upper mid (high blue, maybe 1 black diamond).

-After the Catskills Whitetail is a no, what about Blue Knob? Snowshoe too far.

Old 03-10-2021, 07:23 AM

15,144 posts, read 27,795,746 times
I thought I heard last weekend was the last for several places.

Old 03-10-2021, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudlander View Post
So I went to Timberline.

-I was impressed by the snow itself, BUT the trails themselves were disappointing.

-Very small, not a big drop, not long

I have snowboarded at Whitetail, and then mainly at Windham in the Catskills, and Killington.

I thought going in the high country here would be like the Catskills but not even close.

So I am wondering, what do you recommend for me?

I snowboard, I am an upper mid (high blue, maybe 1 black diamond).

-After the Catskills Whitetail is a no, what about Blue Knob? Snowshoe too far.
Blue Knob in central PA is a good option but you better check in advance- as a State Park they rely heavily on natural snow and most places in the mid-Atlantic (with the exception of maybe Snowshoe) generally stop making snow in late February. I can't imagine many of their trails are still open. but it's about three hours away. Wisp- the trails there are a bit wider and I'd say a little longer in most cases than Tline. It's a little under 3 hours. Seven Springs PA is about 3 and some change. Honestly Snowshoe is the one I would recommend the most but you said it is too far. As Flamingo said most places are likely going to be ending their seasons either this weekend or next given the temps.

Old 03-11-2021, 08:02 PM

Oh I'm talking next year, if I want something more like the Catskills I can do in a day and back from NOVA, what options?
Snowshoe is an overnighter.

Old 03-12-2021, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudlander View Post
Oh I'm talking next year, if I want something more like the Catskills I can do in a day and back from NOVA, what options?
Snowshoe is an overnighter.
Blue Knob, Wisp and Seven Springs- they are in the 3ish hour range from my home in Arlington assuming no traffic. Not sure if you tried Canaan but it's a good option as well (near Timberline). None will compare to Killington though! I love that place but quite a hike from here.

I also agree on Snowshoe- did a day trip there once and will never again. Something about that extra hour to hour and a half drive compared to the others just made for a really long and tiring day. Funny thing is if you google 'Snowshoe Mountain' the search result for their website says 'A Ski Resort in WV Near DC.' I guess it's good marketing but 'near' is not a word I would use to describe the proximity to DC area.

Old 03-12-2021, 10:34 AM

Are Blue Knob, Seven Springs, WISP like Windham/the Catskills or more like Whitetail and Timberline?

Old 03-12-2021, 01:36 PM

I've only skied Hunter in the Catskills and found it ok but nothing overly impressive so I probably am not best to compare. We usually use the 'local' ski areas I mentioned for either day trips or a weekend then do a week long trip each year to Utah or Colorado.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
View detailed profiles of: