Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2021, 12:33 AM

21 posts, read 41,191 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are both born and raised in NYC and plan to retire in 2022. We would like to start our Forever Townhome search in NoVA this summer to familiarize ourselves with the various neighborhoods. I have been in touch with a realtor in the Alexandria area, and he send me emails with available townhomes in our price range ($350K). I have been reading a few of the comments on here, and it sounds like traffic is a nightmare in the BWV area. Fortunately for us, we will not have the daily commute to work. So that is not an issue.

We have been researching 55+ Gated communities VS. brand new construction VS. newish construction (built in 2015), and the $100,000,000 question is LOCATION LOCATION LOCATION!! I have seen some really nice townhomes online in our price range. So now we are looking for any and all thoughts, feedback, suggestions and personal experiences in any of the following areas regarding the quality of living, safety, close to stores (i.e., supermarket, pharmacy, shopping, restaurants, medical doctors, etc.), parks, beaches...

Woodbridge/Dale City (4722 & 4836 Dane Ridge Circle 22193)

Fredericksburg (11701 Jacquelyn Lane 22407 & 5710 Finley Rose Court - new construction)

Lake Ridge zip code 22192

Neabsco zip code 22191

Manasas Park 20111

Gainsville (7778 Cedar Branch Drive 20155)

We chose NoVA because it is not too far or too close to New York, so we can always come back to visit family and friends whenever we want. Also, as retirees, we will definitely get more bang for our retirement bucks in VA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2021, 01:54 AM

22,269 posts, read 11,763,942 times
Personally, I wouldn't choose any of those areas as a retiree. But that's me. Those places mostly have families with kids. With some places on your list, you have to really check out the area. For example, Woodbridge and Dale City have some not so great areas---same with Manassas Park.

Do you have your heart set on a townhouse? Would you consider apartment or condo living? When we sold our house, we rented an apartment in Reston with the intention (at the time) of moving out of NoVA. However, we discovered that we really liked the building we were in plus there were other retirees there. We got to know many of them and in the end, we decided to stay right where we are.

Are you hoping to meet other retirees? Or is that not important to you? Is being near public transportation important to you?

Others who know the areas you are considering will hopefully come along to give you more info.

ETA: I see that the place in Fredericksburg is a 55+ community. If you do want a townhouse, then you will be around other retirees. I would say if you want such a community, be sure to research their convenants and bylaws. Some places have restrictive rules. Also, make sure you know what monthly fees they may have. I couldn't tell from the description if they will have any amenities like a clubhouse, exercise room or a pool.

Last edited by BOS2IAD; 02-06-2021 at 02:06 AM..

Old 02-06-2021, 03:20 AM

1,441 posts, read 1,342,941 times
Take a look at Orange County, about an hour fifteen from Manassas... You could get a new NVR SFR for under 350, and somewhat lower cost of living, less crime, much less traffic. The UVA hospital system is as good as any. Not a fan of Charlottesville, thirty minutes, but there is an airport and shopping.

Old 02-06-2021, 05:23 AM

7,670 posts, read 14,153,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mizvee2003 View Post
My husband and I are both born and raised in NYC and plan to retire in 2022. We would like to start our Forever Townhome search in NoVA this summer to familiarize ourselves with the various neighborhoods. I have been in touch with a realtor in the Alexandria area, and he send me emails with available townhomes in our price range ($350K). I have been reading a few of the comments on here, and it sounds like traffic is a nightmare in the BWV area. Fortunately for us, we will not have the daily commute to work. So that is not an issue.

We have been researching 55+ Gated communities VS. brand new construction VS. newish construction (built in 2015), and the $100,000,000 question is LOCATION LOCATION LOCATION!! I have seen some really nice townhomes online in our price range. So now we are looking for any and all thoughts, feedback, suggestions and personal experiences in any of the following areas regarding the quality of living, safety, close to stores (i.e., supermarket, pharmacy, shopping, restaurants, medical doctors, etc.), parks, beaches...

Woodbridge/Dale City (4722 & 4836 Dane Ridge Circle 22193)

Fredericksburg (11701 Jacquelyn Lane 22407 & 5710 Finley Rose Court - new construction)

Manasas Park 20111

Gainsville (7778 Cedar Branch Drive 20155)

We chose NoVA because it is not too far or too close to New York, so we can always come back to visit family and friends whenever we want. Also, as retirees, we will definitely get more bang for our retirement bucks in VA.
Retired LEO for this location except for Fredericksburg. But I would avoid F'burg personally if for no other reason it's proximity to I-95 and the continual traffic issues. My daughters best friend and family moved away from here due to traffic and nothing else.

"Woodbridge/Dale City (4722 & 4836 Dane Ridge Circle 22193)". Not a bad location at all. The area sees mostly property crime but not at high numbers. Its proximity to Dale City can be problematic at times but it in itself is not in a high crime area.

"Lake Ridge zip code 22192". Much of Lake Ridge is located in what is considered nicer areas for the east end of PWC. Just need to avoid a few areas and as it is no secret town home communities tend to have more issues as many are rentals. Look into parking issues as they can be one of the bigger issues and cause the most arguments.

"Neabsco". I somehow cut this out of your post. Where off Neabsco Rd are there townhomes? I do not recall any. Or are you talking about the Neabsco area off Blackburn Rd. Neabsco Rd is a quiet well established area. Use caution if off Blackburn Rd. We had more issues in the townhomes off Blackburn Rd.

"Manasas Park 20111". Much improved city over the years. Years back the crime issues were plentiful. The biggest problem with Manassas Park is Rt. 28. You will not be going into DC and other points in NOVA without using 28 and the traffic on this road just plain sucks.

"Gainsville (7778 Cedar Branch Drive 20155)". Nice area and close to both NOVA and the countryside. My favorite location of all you've listed.

Old 02-06-2021, 05:26 AM

2,142 posts, read 3,035,709 times
What is the BWV area?

Old 02-06-2021, 05:35 AM

4,086 posts, read 2,387,839 times
I can't shed light on the communities, only that one of my family members lives in northern VA and others have. Proximity to light rail is a plus especially if you and your visitors want to get into DC.

Keep in mind that if traveling Amtrak, in DC they change from electric to diesel engines, thus there is a 45 minute stop. This adds a lot of time if traveling from Fredericksburg to NYC.

Old 02-06-2021, 07:06 AM

9,860 posts, read 13,979,789 times
I would not select a townhouse as a retiree. The stairs could soon be an issue.

Old 02-06-2021, 07:18 AM

9,860 posts, read 13,979,789 times
I would not select a townhouse as a retiree. The stairs could soon be an issue.

Also, those locations are really just a random selection of cookie cutter suburbia. Seems like an odd collection of options for someone with a lower budget who doesn't need to be in this area at all.

Lots of cute towns in the PA/DE area...I think your dollar can go much further.

Old 02-06-2021, 08:07 AM

12,905 posts, read 15,563,969 times
Familiar with most of these areas. Noting that everyone has a different perspective and definition of things, most of these locations are not anywhere near how I'd want to live as a retiree. These are working/commuter areas with very little lifestyle/activities geared toward retirees. I would say most people flee this area once they stop working to get away from the "commuter/work" lifestyle. Certainly there are nice areas to retire to around here but they seem geared toward more "wealthy" retirees. A townhouse in Dale City (or Lake Ridge, or Manassas, and so on) sounds a bit nightmarish for a retirement but to each his own I suppose.

I agree with spencergr: for a limited budget in retirement, this is not where I'd go. Heck I won't even stay in Virginia. Find a more tax friendly state for retirees. Delaware is pretty nice and affordable. Kinda boring but you're not too far from visiting interesting places.

Old 02-06-2021, 11:22 AM

21 posts, read 41,191 times
I meant DMV the DC Tristate area Wash/MD/VA lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia