Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2021, 03:32 PM

12 posts, read 22,657 times

Advertisements

Hello! We are retiring from Pennsylvania to Winchester in a few months, our house is currently under construction. We plan on moving late spring/early summer. I’m looking into how we will handle the move right now....uhaul, pods, storage units, etc. Has anyone used something similar to moving helpers, companies that will help unload your truck full of belongings when you arrive? We would especially need help with heavy furniture. We’ve downsized quite a bit, but still have a lot of “stuff” that we’re bringing with us.

Also, any suggestions for doctor’s offices would be great,too. Trying to read all the different reviews online to help us decide. The number of reviews aren’t as plentiful as they are up here. I’m a retired RN, so I’m moving from an area where I knew what doctors stood out and which ones to run away from.

I’m sure we’ll have more questions in the future. But these are on my mind right now.

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2021, 04:04 PM

7,670 posts, read 14,234,258 times
Many of the self storage places can help with providing people to help you unload your truck. Our move to the valley from NOVA was done by a local company as I did not want to deal with it. Winchester is a nice area to retire to. Where is the home being built? Most of my Dr's are south of you but Dr. Alla Golovkina-Hynes is an ophthalmologist I see in her Winchester office and I really like her.

Old 02-14-2021, 05:10 PM

22602 zip code

Old 02-15-2021, 02:02 PM

91 posts, read 129,809 times
That's my zip code. Welcome!

Afraid I can't help you with the doctors, but I've heard good things about Patton's movers, a local company.

Old 02-15-2021, 07:09 PM

Thanks bobamike! We’re getting so excited to move down there! Can’t wait to explore everything the Winchester area has to offer. Other than the obvious, anything you can enlighten me about Winchester would be great.

Old 02-16-2021, 04:03 AM

7,670 posts, read 14,234,258 times
Have you been here before? Not sure what you've seen so far? But some things you might like if you've not seen them. In some cases I am not sure how Covid is affecting them.

1. Pedestrian Mall in Downtown Winchester
2. Museum of Shenandoah Valley. (Has a still in there from a barn on the farm next to me)
3. Virginia Farm Market. Best Pecan Pies ever.
4. Handley Library. Even if you don't care for libraries this one is a must due to its history/architecture.
5. Mount Hebron Cemetery.
6. State Arboretum of Virginia.

Old 02-16-2021, 10:06 AM

We’ve basically have only been there once, visited old town Winchester with my son. He just moved to Stephens City a year ago with his family, so we haven’t done or seen much of anything due to covid. For the few times we visited it was in his house.
Thanks for the above suggestions, they all sound great. So many things have been cancelled, I guess we’ll see how it goes once more people are vaccinated. I was looking forward to the Apple Blossom festival, but I guess that’s out

Old 02-16-2021, 10:27 AM

91 posts, read 129,809 times
I would agree with Bigfoot's list. If you like history, there is plenty to see and do in the area. If you like culture, during a normal year there are concerts and shows all the time. The local university does a series of broadway shows each summer (usually). Lots of good places to eat downtown.

Apple Blossom is great fun- the one day of the year I let loose. Drinking starts at 10am and stops when the wife comes to pick me up to watch the parade/fireworks. A mini-mardi gras.

We are close enough to DC for bigger museums/events as well.

I've been here 16 years now and love it. We are in our 2nd house, plan on staying and eventually retiring downtown once the kid is grown up

Downside to the area? A very backwards thinking board of supervisors in the county, who won't invest in infrastructure or schools, let allow new houses out the wazoo.

Old 02-16-2021, 10:08 PM

Thank you both again

Old 02-17-2021, 06:40 AM

210 posts, read 416,726 times
Bright Box is a nice little live event venue, for musical acts, standup and more. At least, pre-COVID that was the case. It's on the walking mall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia