Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-09-2008, 12:51 PM

78 posts, read 249,806 times

Advertisements

We are moving to Burke July 1st. We realistically only having 2 summers there, so we really want to take advantage of every minute. What are some wonderful things to do that you wouldn't normally find listed in tour books? Obviously the DC area. Beyond that. What about things to do with 3 little ones for the 4th of July?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2008, 02:27 PM

17,387 posts, read 16,524,581 times
There are lots of fun things to do right in and around Burke during the summer:

Burke Lake Park - play mini golf, ride the little choo choo train, enjoy the carousel, go fishing, play on the playgrounds, visit the snack shop, rent a boat.

George Mason University - watch a movie outside during movie under the stars nights.

Join a pool.

University Mall movie theater has wonderfully priced kid matinees.

Hidden Pond Nature Center - see turtles, frogs, fish, snakes on display inside. Take a nature class. Play on the playground. Take a hike around the pond or down to the creek.

Visit one of the many nearby playgrounds in South Run, Kings Park, Kings Park West, Orange Hunt.

Take a Parktakes class or camp at South Run or Wakefield rec center.

As far as the fourth goes, you can go downtown to see the big show or attend the closer one in Fairfax.

Old 05-09-2008, 04:47 PM

1,261 posts, read 6,105,626 times
SpringfieldVA has offered a very good list of outdoor activities around Burke and its vecinity. Wolf Trap also offers children's performances and that's a great place to go and enjoy a picnic while watching a show. A good website for finding things to do with children is: goCityKids: Choose A City

Old 05-10-2008, 12:45 PM

78 posts, read 249,806 times
Thank you for the website. It looks great. I guess I should have titled my email Burke/NoVA Fun. Are there things in Vienna and Fairfax? Do you find you go south for activities as well? Thanks everyone, we are really looking forward to out time there!

Old 05-10-2008, 01:19 PM

1,261 posts, read 6,105,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CathyL100 View Post
Thank you for the website. It looks great. I guess I should have titled my email Burke/NoVA Fun. Are there things in Vienna and Fairfax? Do you find you go south for activities as well? Thanks everyone, we are really looking forward to out time there!
There is a lot to enjoy with children. Some of it will depend on your children's age. If you have young kids (toddlers or preschoolers), check out: Burke Lake Park, Clemyjontri in McLean (excellent park), Frying Pan, Reston Zoo or the National Zoo, Kids N Motion (indoor playground in Woodbridge--very new), South Run Rec Center's pool, Hidden Pond Nature Center and the library activities. If your children are a bit older, then you can really enjoy much better all the museums, especially the children's activities that are hands-on. Even though my daughter is very young, she loves the Air and Space Museum and the Natural History Museum. You can always do a daytrip to the Baltimore Harbour and enjoy the Aquarium, go to Glen Echo Park, Great Falls Park, or take a trip to Kings Dominion, Busch Gardens, Colonial Williamsburg and Water Country.

Old 05-13-2008, 02:13 PM

17,387 posts, read 16,524,581 times
Also, be sure to check out Mount Vernon. They have a wonderful hands on museum there for kids. And the grounds are fun to explore. We've been there several times and have yet to make it into the mansion!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia