Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2021, 01:58 AM

2 posts, read 3,059 times

Advertisements

Greetings,

I am new to this platform and would like a frank discussion about racism in Northern VA. I am considering purchasing a home in Spotsylvania and was horrified after watching a video of students wearing confederate attire and making racial slurs at Riverbend HS in 2019. There were also threats of a school shooting which was well managed by authorities. I want my son to enjoy his life in a diverse, open minded community AND I want to live in a beautiful affordable home in a peaceful environment. After serving our country and moving my son 5 times in 10 years we are looking to call someplace home. Is Spotsylvania the place for us? Please share your opinion. POSITIVE VIBES ONLY
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2021, 02:12 AM

7,670 posts, read 14,242,081 times
You will find racism no matter where you live in the US. Spotsy is still considered a little south in VA but it is nothing like it was was just 20 years ago. You can decide on Fairfax or any other NOVA county and finding racism is always possible. But find 10 homeowners in Spotsy and I'll wager none have experienced or witnessed cases of racism. You know what would keep me from living in Spotsy? I-95. Not a chance I would live anywhere that I-95 is my means of travel when it is located between DC and Richmond. Racism would not keep me from there.

Old 06-20-2021, 02:16 AM

2 posts, read 3,059 times
Thank you!! I appreciate your input. The commute is an entirely different conversation.

Old 06-20-2021, 04:36 AM

9,879 posts, read 14,125,760 times
Spotsylvania isn't part of NoVA.

Old 06-20-2021, 07:11 AM

2,825 posts, read 6,892,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
You and I know that. However, OMB and the Census has Spotsy in our MSA so people who dont live here think it is. It is similar to Providence RI which is not like living in Boston at all yet is included in Bostons MSA.

As B24 stated, there is Racism documented and daily all over our country including Progressive places like NYC and Chicago. Because Virginia is mentioned, non residents *perceive* its worse because of a map and not the actualities on the ground.

No one can tell anyone how to feel tho. I can say that hard data is inadequate. In United States as a whole, the highest amount and fastest rate of Hate crimes for 3 years in a row is not verses a race or ethnicity but against a religion (Jewish) however US Census will not collect data on religious affiliation so actual information is hard to get at.

Old 06-20-2021, 01:38 PM

7,670 posts, read 14,242,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
Technically? Maybe not. But it is for many as far as traffic goes and anyone along I-95 there is in for a horrible time.

Old 06-20-2021, 07:49 PM

2,076 posts, read 3,430,885 times
I live in Spotsy and agree with Bigfoot. However I think you may see less if you are nearer to Fredericksburg than out in the western end of the county. It is definitely rural Virginia out there. The Fredericksburg area is starting to look like NoVa but it’s not. One way I can tell lately is how many people are or aren’t still wearing masks. In NoVa, a lot. Down here, not as much unless you are in stores up around Fredericksburg. There are some nice neighborhoods up around Fredericksburg that will mirror NoVa, only at a more “reasonable” price.

Old 06-21-2021, 07:47 AM

4,437 posts, read 8,129,798 times
I lived in orange county for 5 years and spent time in spotsy/Culpeper county and didn't experience any racism. I'm not white, my wife is and our kids are mixed. Just over the weekend we were in Culpeper and Bealeton to do the air circus and there were Indians and Brazilians in the crowd. Even a nice family from the country of Minnesota... It's not like the movie deliverance out in the sticks.

I somehow survived seeing confederate flags and statues (sarcasm)

Thank you for your service OP.

Old 06-21-2021, 01:24 PM

12,905 posts, read 15,658,187 times
I don't know whether it's racism or not, but there's a definite change in the vibe when you leave, say, Woodbridge, VA and head down to Stafford and points south. Maybe it's just politically different. I can't explain it, but choff5 touched on it a bit with the mask wearing. To me, the worlds between Prince William County and then going south are like the difference between the North and South.

I agree that in the more developed areas of Fredericksburg, it's going to be more diverse and accepting.

Old 06-21-2021, 01:26 PM

2,145 posts, read 3,061,004 times
Yes. Also a lot more confederate flags the further south you go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia