Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2021, 04:25 AM

109 posts, read 120,915 times

Advertisements

I hI have lived in Arlington specifically Pentagon City for three years and I've loved it but recentI'm starting to feel very congested and feel that crime as well as quality of life has gone downhill for the sake of Amazon.

this is more recent, since mord and more people moving to my building and since repoening, the traffic increasing as well as stress and commericialized fake feelign everywhere. ( ie dog parks)

Also i used to feel safe and now with daily carjackings and people getting burglarized in their homs,i just dont feel its worth it.I love trees and actually think parts of DC are now more spacious and safe than arlington.

is anyone feeling more pressurized living in arlington this past 6months? I am considering moving back to dc perhaps palisades or upper georgetown, clevaland park where i felt safe and walkable to things. Howerver given the quaity of VA governance i am considering reston and parts of falls church. Alexandria is nice but not for me to live despite love going out there plus i dont liek the cobblstone streets feel on my feet(yup i am this way)

ANyone live in any nice planned commnities with lots of trees in reston or elswhere. I like to walk and bike and play golf if possible.o

Also anyone living in DC happy with their location. For me safety and feeling safe to walk at night plus space is primary.

Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2021, 09:01 AM

1,159 posts, read 1,278,158 times
There’s a lot going on in this post (dog parks mean commercialization?), but Arlington has always been a little much for my taste. Since moving here a decade ago, it seems like Arlington has been racing to erase every existing home with an upsized Craftsman.

There are many masterplanned communities out towards Reston or farther into Loudoun.

Old 08-08-2021, 09:45 AM

5,391 posts, read 7,193,523 times
Alexandria is more than Old Town, and even in Old Town there are only a few blocks remaining of cobblestone, which are streets for cars, with non-cobblestone sidewalks. If Alexandria isn't your cup of tea that's perfectly fine, but that was an odd complaint against it. Are you thinking of the brick sidewalks instead?

Old 08-08-2021, 10:59 AM

2,015 posts, read 4,579,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sg8910 View Post
I hI have lived in Arlington specifically Pentagon City for three years and I've loved it but recentI'm starting to feel very congested and feel that crime as well as quality of life has gone downhill for the sake of Amazon.

this is more recent, since mord and more people moving to my building and since repoening, the traffic increasing as well as stress and commericialized fake feelign everywhere. ( ie dog parks)

Also i used to feel safe and now with daily carjackings and people getting burglarized in their homs,i just dont feel its worth it.I love trees and actually think parts of DC are now more spacious and safe than arlington.

is anyone feeling more pressurized living in arlington this past 6months? I am considering moving back to dc perhaps palisades or upper georgetown, clevaland park where i felt safe and walkable to things. Howerver given the quaity of VA governance i am considering reston and parts of falls church. Alexandria is nice but not for me to live despite love going out there plus i dont liek the cobblstone streets feel on my feet(yup i am this way)

ANyone live in any nice planned commnities with lots of trees in reston or elswhere. I like to walk and bike and play golf if possible.o

Also anyone living in DC happy with their location. For me safety and feeling safe to walk at night plus space is primary.

Thank you
Agree there is a lot going on here - but I think I'll try to provide insight. Arlington is a major urban suburban community as you are no doubt aware. There are many high density areas and then there are a number of tree lined low density areas on the northwest and southern ends of the county. Pentagon City has always had its fair share of crime - a location at major Metro stations and easy access to I-395 back into DC has made it an easy target. Not sure how easy it is to fix but it is what it is. The development coming in with Amazon is a lot but I guess great for economic development and the county tax base. Alexandria is also much more than Old Town.

Old 08-08-2021, 02:44 PM

7,670 posts, read 14,156,737 times
I personally have never thought Arlington anything but a concrete jungle. Albeit with some good restaurants and so on but to me it's got very little charm to it. Alexandria with its waterfront and Old Town has the charm Arlington wished it had.

Old 08-08-2021, 03:27 PM

2,015 posts, read 4,579,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot424 View Post
I personally have never thought Arlington anything but a concrete jungle. Albeit with some good restaurants and so on but to me it's got very little charm to it. Alexandria with its waterfront and Old Town has the charm Arlington wished it had.
And you're largely correct Bigfoot- it basically is what it is ( and I personally love it). We are getting some better restaurants and a ton going on with Amazon, etc but it simply isn't some tree lined Mayberry. It has some more wooded larger lot sites out towards the border with McLean and Falls Church - a few to the south but at end of the day the majority of the County is a lot of people on top of one another. Similar to any place in DC with decent schools- the neighborhoods with a lot of single family homes / greenery are available provided you have a VERY large housing budget - i.e. usually 900k - $1 million at the lowest but otherwise you're going to be in apartments or group houses or condos.

Old 08-08-2021, 03:51 PM

22,281 posts, read 11,772,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot424 View Post
When I read the title of this thread, I thought to myself "Did Arlington ever have charm"? When I was a kid in the late 60s, my aunt and uncle had a house off Glebe Road near Chesterbrook Road. Even then, Arlington just struck me as just another suburb.

Off topic, I know but...We were out in Luray last week showing our grandkids the Cavern. They had no idea until then that there were parts of VA that were so beautiful. You, of course, know that

Old 08-08-2021, 04:02 PM

7,670 posts, read 14,156,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
When I read the title of this thread, I thought to myself "Did Arlington ever have charm"? When I was a kid in the late 60s, my aunt and uncle had a house off Glebe Road near Chesterbrook Road. Even then, Arlington just struck me as just another suburb.

Off topic, I know but...We were out in Luray last week showing our grandkids the Cavern. They had no idea until then that there were parts of VA that were so beautiful. You, of course, know that

Luray is a gorgeous area.

Old 08-08-2021, 11:53 PM

6,620 posts, read 4,066,568 times
If Arlington has any charm it's in the quiet little residential SFH neighborhoods spread out across the county. But even that can be ruined pretty quickly if people there rent rooms out to several boarders and then you got like 4 cars per property and frat parties in yards etc. Also, you pay too much for that bit of charm given most of these lots are tiny and the houses not especially spacious unless they're charmless new builds taking up 90% of the lot..

Old 08-10-2021, 11:08 AM

230 posts, read 216,527 times
Arlington has some leafy residential areas that could be characterized as charming.

However, "charming" is not something I would have ever considered applying to the whole county. "Congested" and "sterile" are two immediate descriptors that come to mind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia