Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2021, 07:01 PM

211 posts, read 237,966 times

Advertisements

Which do you find more charming, Georgetown or Old Town Alexandria?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2021, 07:38 AM

Alright, I’m changing my question to a more neutral one:

What are the biggest differences between Georgetown and Old Town Alexandria?

Old 10-12-2021, 08:08 AM

4,320 posts, read 5,136,503 times
Gotta go with Georgetown. Georgetown's residential areas have not changed much and still have gorgeous, graceful older homes and parks. Old Town Alexandria has succumbed to gentrification so you get boring, cookie cutter homes and condos.

G'town is also more vibrant, perhaps due to university students. Seems it gets more foreign tourists while Old Town gets more local tourists.

Commerce and nightlife for both is far less interesting than decades ago, lots of chains, lots of closures. Bars and clubs in both are perfunctory. But I'd rather eat at G'Town restaurants, more international cuisines and lots of mediocrity in Old Town (to my taste buds).

G'town also seems to benefit from it's slight isolation. G'Town is also more expensive so it's kind of a mismatch.

For charm it's easily Georgetown, perhaps because there is less new development.

Old 10-12-2021, 07:07 PM

1,750 posts, read 2,400,322 times
GTown is cool but is mostly the playground of the ”1 %” crowd unless the visitors are day trippers or Trust Fund Kiddies. Alexandria Old Town is for middle-class people with less disposable income to throw around but enough to enjoy for the day. Champagne tastes on a beer budget

Old 10-18-2021, 03:52 PM

13 posts, read 17,728 times
From the real estate perspective, GTown's houses have the better value-added potential for sure, and it's much easier to find enough students/young professionals as renters or have your house used as Airbnb's.

Old 10-18-2021, 06:53 PM

2,825 posts, read 6,891,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heather777 View Post
From the real estate perspective, GTown's houses have the better value-added potential for sure, and it's much easier to find enough students/young professionals as renters or have your house used as Airbnb's.
As you are MontCo, are there many Nova commentators in the MD DC burbs forum? Genuinely curious bc Im never in there. MD is like Utah to me so I am not qualified to comment about MD. Everything I need/want is in Nova so Im never in MD. Except Ikea once every couple years.

Old 10-18-2021, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leighland View Post
As you are MontCo, are there many Nova commentators in the MD DC burbs forum? Genuinely curious bc Im never in there. MD is like Utah to me so I am not qualified to comment about MD. Everything I need/want is in Nova so Im never in MD. Except Ikea once every couple years.
Is Herndon considered NoVa though

Old 10-18-2021, 08:33 PM

2,814 posts, read 2,282,316 times
I would say Alexandria feels more charming in that it is a little more removed from the urban core. It feels more like a bedroom community that gets a lot of suburban/domestic day tourists. Georgetown feels busier and more like a core DC neighborhood. It's more international and cosmopolitan. People love to hate on Georgetown, but they are the two best commercial strips in the area.

Old 10-21-2021, 12:36 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,072,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCarea View Post
Is Herndon considered NoVa though
Absolutely, if you mean culturally. The population of Loudoun County which is out beyond Herndon, has skyrocketed to over 400,000 now.

Old 10-21-2021, 12:41 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,072,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Back to NE View Post
Gotta go with Georgetown. Georgetown's residential areas have not changed much and still have gorgeous, graceful older homes and parks. Old Town Alexandria has succumbed to gentrification so you get boring, cookie cutter homes and condos.

G'town is also more vibrant, perhaps due to university students. Seems it gets more foreign tourists while Old Town gets more local tourists.

Commerce and nightlife for both is far less interesting than decades ago, lots of chains, lots of closures. Bars and clubs in both are perfunctory. But I'd rather eat at G'Town restaurants, more international cuisines and lots of mediocrity in Old Town (to my taste buds).

G'town also seems to benefit from it's slight isolation. G'Town is also more expensive so it's kind of a mismatch.

For charm it's easily Georgetown, perhaps because there is less new development.
Have you not seen the chock-a-block sidewalk cafe's filling the entire 100 block of King Street, since the city fathers recently closed it off for a pedestrian zone?

Old Town, by my observation, is loaded with international visitors, speaking many languages.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia