Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2021, 10:07 AM

9,873 posts, read 14,112,458 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeganGrimes View Post
I think it started when they built the Franconia Springfield metro station near Springfield mall, just like that criminals from PG county and DC could quickly go to Northern VA and commit crime then quickly ride the metro back to MD
Well, that's ridiculous. What crime would be that much more lucrative in Springfield for these criminals to travel that far to commit them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2021, 10:35 AM

2,021 posts, read 4,611,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
Well, that's ridiculous. What crime would be that much more lucrative in Springfield for these criminals to travel that far to commit them?
I was about to say- Pentagon City area- a big yes but not so sure about Springfield. Although I do feel one year some old lady got carjacked and then in the police pursuit they wrecked and she died but not sure who was involved in that and where they were from.

Old 11-09-2021, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVAmtneer82 View Post
I was about to say- Pentagon City area- a big yes but not so sure about Springfield.
ok, I will challenge Pentagon City, as well. What is so great about that location that someone would travel specifically there to commit crimes? What makes it more lucrative to commit a crime in VA versus MD or DC?

Old 11-09-2021, 01:03 PM

2,021 posts, read 4,611,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
ok, I will challenge Pentagon City, as well. What is so great about that location that someone would travel specifically there to commit crimes? What makes it more lucrative to commit a crime in VA versus MD or DC?
I don't know - ask all the people who keep committing crime there who are nine times out of ten always seen 'heading back into DC' per WTOP or Post or Arlnow or any other numerous articles- It's easy access- you basically can get dumped into the parking lot right across the 14th Street Bridge, easy to get lost in all the heavy heading back (at least if it is the right time of the day), is known for being a higher end mall, need more?

Old 11-09-2021, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVAmtneer82 View Post
I don't know - ask all the people who keep committing crime there who are nine times out of ten always seen 'heading back into DC' per WTOP or Post or Arlnow or any other numerous articles- It's easy access- you basically can get dumped into the parking lot right across the 14th Street Bridge, easy to get lost in all the heavy heading back (at least if it is the right time of the day), is known for being a higher end mall, need more?
Yes, can you please post one of the "numerous" articles? Preferably one that references "nine times out of ten" or any with statistic to numbers on crimes and how they know where they were from? Getting lost amongst the traffic/ volume while fleeing is a pretty common move for criminals; It, in no way, indicates that those criminals live in DC or MD.

Old 11-09-2021, 06:22 PM

211 posts, read 237,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeganGrimes View Post
I think it started when they built the Franconia Springfield metro station near Springfield mall, just like that criminals from PG county and DC could quickly go to Northern VA and commit crime then quickly ride the metro back to MD
I find it hard to believe thieves/robbers would head back to a station to wait for the next train to arrive to take them back while station and train cameras record them all along the way.

Old 11-09-2021, 06:32 PM

15,142 posts, read 27,760,706 times
Especially now that trains are raining 30 mins. - just kidding, the whole premise of the thinking is bizarre!

Old 11-09-2021, 07:36 PM

1,751 posts, read 2,398,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCarea View Post
I find it hard to believe thieves/robbers would head back to a station to wait for the next train to arrive to take them back while station and train cameras record them all along the way.
I don't. Criminals are well aware the metro police seldom follow up most crimes. https://www.nbcwashington.com/news/l...finds/2717516/

Someone grabbed my backpack while I was waiting on the subway platform two years ago. He immediately jumped onto a departing train. My phone was in the backpack. The phone had a tracking app on it. When a police officer took my report I was able to show him on my laptop (which I retrieved from my car) just where the thief had carried it around the city, including a lengthy stop at the welfare office. I even showed the office which public housing unit it was carried to for the evening. (I then remotely zeroized the phone.)

The authorities deemed it a minor property crime not worth investigating. They didn't even review the CCTV footage when I asked about it. Fortunately, I had my wallet and car keys in my pockets. That is another hazard but I try to not keep all my valuables together when out and about in iffy neighborhoods or public transit.

Old 11-09-2021, 08:27 PM

15,064 posts, read 6,167,490 times
I’ve heard it on both sides but more from people in Maryland. They say that they could never live in VA and that the entire state is backward.

Old 11-10-2021, 06:17 AM

2,262 posts, read 2,396,074 times
I haven’t talked to someone about this in a long time but it used to be that Virginia was seen as redneck, racist, backwards, etc. so a lot of folks from MD had a low opinion of the state, I think a lot of people still feel that way but for those in the DC area Northern VA has kind of carved out its own identity from the rest of the state.

But the ‘rivalry’ is silly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia