Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2013, 09:04 PM

4 posts, read 33,852 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

We are in the process of relocating to NoVA and have a kid with autism (7 yrs old.) He is partially verbal and goes for an hour or two every day into general ed class room these days. We need to go to a place where he can continue that.

Please let us know which schools are best for inclusion in the following areas -

a) Loudoun county
b) Herndon
c) Vienna
d) Reston
e) Others

We really appreciate your help.

Regards,

Scarp
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2013, 01:52 PM

588 posts, read 1,438,676 times
Are you looking for a public school or a private school?

If you are looking at a public school, you aren't going to find a huge difference in inclusion among schools in Fairfax County and Loudoun County.

The number of hours of inclusion versus self-contained is an IEP decision that is made by the IEP team (parents included!). In Fairfax and Loudoun, the schools seem to aim for inclusion in general education as much as possible (in the "least restrictive environment"). However, the "least restrictive environment" is not always in a general education environment. Again, this will have to be a decision made as an IEP team.

Old 12-26-2013, 03:00 PM

4 posts, read 33,852 times
We are looking for public schools. Please let me know which specific schools encourage inclusion programs and have good support services. I know IEP process would determine LRE goals etc. In our experience, things vary greatly from school to school.

Old 12-26-2013, 03:36 PM

1,261 posts, read 6,104,695 times
I suggest that you reach out to the Parents Of Autistic Children of Northern Virginia. The officers are very knowledgeable about schools and resources in the area.

Old 12-26-2013, 06:12 PM

8,826 posts, read 15,316,001 times
Here is a list of schools with ABA resources/autism centers in Fairfax County:

http://www.fcps.edu/dss/sei/ABA/pdf/...by-cluster.pdf

Old 12-26-2013, 07:35 PM

18 posts, read 47,157 times
Hello-my 8 year old HFA son is mainstreamed fairfax county and doing great. Sounds like you have a current IEP? From my understanding, they must follow that until a new IEP is created. There are self contained autism classrooms in fairfax that PP provided. My son goes to his local school and is mainstreamed and I'm really happy with his education and progress. My son gets over 20 hours of help a week including some OT, Speech Therapy and 5 hours pull out a week. They have social skills groups too.

Each school handles the mainstreaming different. In my son's school all the IEP kids are in one class and that class is alot smaller than the other classes. That room there is a special ed teacher in there alot of the time helping multiple kids so its not like there are one to one aides. My friends child its different--the IEP kids are spread out amongst the classes. So each school different in how they do things.

My take--each school is quite different and its hard how things would work out for your child. I have found that you better go in with all the ammunition you need. I asked for evaluation for services twice in K before they agreed. Same child but suddenly now that I have a formal eval with diagnosis then they are willing to play? So be prepared if you have not yet done the official "medical" diagnosis.

That said, I feel like I received all I asked for for my child and the IEP team has been really responsive. I have alot of special need mom friends for support and even within same school, some parents not as pleased as me. But overall, FCPS are great and fully support inclusion. Good luck with your search. If you have not checked it out already there is a special needs forum with really nice folks at www.dcurbanmom.com

Old 10-21-2014, 09:10 AM

1 posts, read 10,826 times
Our son – is 11years old diagnosed autistic at 20months , following which he has since then been engaged in various forms of therapy- ABA, PECs, Speech and language therapy, occupational therapy, auditory training, adapted autism spectrum programs, music therapy and biomedical interventions .

He now speaks in short sentences (mostly functional rather than conversational), has improved attention, goes to a mainstream Montessori school and has a facilitator in school.

We are looking at moving to the DC area next year and looking for schools that have facilities to help him develop further. We can move a bit further from DC if we find the best facilities there - we would prefer a school with boarding (residential) facilities.

Can anybody recommend ? Thank You.

Old 10-22-2014, 12:59 PM

25 posts, read 48,961 times
You want to be in Fairfax county, not in Loudoun county, for best outcome. Herndon or Fairfax are better options with schools having resources to address teaching students with autism. My cousin had similar issue for his son and after much research ended up in Herndon. The kid is making good progress.

Old 05-09-2015, 06:41 PM

1 posts, read 10,018 times
Hello Noblespine ,

Which school are you talking about please, we are in the loudoun county areA and we are in the same ordeal, althought we are determined to look for either public or private, but it's gotta be a great autism ABA program. ( we are in the Va area) not near Virginia beach at all.
Fair fax, loudoun, Herndon , Reston .sterling, Leesburg. We are open to those areas and more.

Resources, names . Please thank you so much!!

Md.tanya@gmail.com

Thank you.

Last edited by Dtdj13; 05-09-2015 at 07:44 PM.. Reason: Area.

Old 05-13-2015, 09:08 AM

25 posts, read 48,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtdj13 View Post
Hello Noblespine ,

Which school are you talking about please, we are in the loudoun county areA and we are in the same ordeal, althought we are determined to look for either public or private, but it's gotta be a great autism ABA program. ( we are in the Va area) not near Virginia beach at all.
Fair fax, loudoun, Herndon , Reston .sterling, Leesburg. We are open to those areas and more.

Resources, names . Please thank you so much!!

Md.tanya@gmail.com

Thank you.
Hi - Just noticed the post, will get the answer and email you back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia