Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2012, 08:11 PM

4 posts, read 26,936 times

Advertisements

TRUE!!! I would like to hang out more with friends but my family takes SO much time

If people seem snobby, here are a few possible reasons:

1. Nova attracts people who want to make a lot of $$$ very quickly. They lead incredibly busy lives. Many people are friendly, but they just don't have the time to become friends. Often it's because they have families here, and families take all your extra time. Sometimes it's much easier to make new friends in a place like Los Angeles, where a lot of young singles have moved, without any nearby family.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2012, 09:45 PM

727 posts, read 1,532,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BonBon79 View Post
TRUE!!! I would like to hang out more with friends but my family takes SO much time

If people seem snobby, here are a few possible reasons:

1. Nova attracts people who want to make a lot of $$$ very quickly. They lead incredibly busy lives. Many people are friendly, but they just don't have the time to become friends. Often it's because they have families here, and families take all your extra time. Sometimes it's much easier to make new friends in a place like Los Angeles, where a lot of young singles have moved, without any nearby family.
I think that explains a lot. I've always found native Northern Virginians to be salt of the earth people. It's the transplants (especially ones from Michigan) that are the worst.

Old 08-03-2012, 01:44 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,238,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BonBon79 View Post
1. Nova attracts people who want to make a lot of $$$ very quickly.
Sounds more like L.A. or NYC than NoVA. People here usually make money pretty slowly and spend a lot in the process. I've never thought of a government related career as a good get rich quick strategy. People also tend to stay here for a long time once they arrive.

Old 08-06-2012, 06:12 PM

727 posts, read 1,532,920 times
My friend's sister works for DHS making over six figures. The downside to that is that she hates her job. I think that might have a lot to do with it; people working jobs that suck the life out of them for that paycheck.

Old 08-07-2012, 08:25 AM

5,121 posts, read 6,800,412 times
I don't know, I don't find people here to be snobby. If I talk to someone, they talk back in a similar fashion. People smile, wave, etc. And I live in a some pretty tightly packed townhouses.

I think people see what they want to see really. If you are expecting people to be rude/snobby--then that's what you will focus in on and see. Anytime someone is rude, it will stand out in your mind and confirm your suspicions. If you expect and think people are nice--then you will see that, the rude events will be glossed over and you will remember and focus in on the nice things because that's what you want to see.

My philosophy is this. NoVa is filled with people from all over the country and all over the world with different customs, behaviors, etc. You can't expect them to all conform to what you think is "best." So control what you can, and adapt your own outlook and attitude so you are happier.

Old 08-07-2012, 04:21 PM

165 posts, read 202,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
And be patient--it may take a little while to make friends, but once you do they will be friends for life.
AAA ha ha ha ha. Good one. Once you do THEY'LL MOVE!

Old 08-07-2012, 08:34 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,238,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMOCCC View Post
AAA ha ha ha ha. Good one. Once you do THEY'LL MOVE!
Really? My neighbors rarely move out unless they're really old.

Old 08-08-2012, 04:54 AM

165 posts, read 202,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
Really? My neighbors rarely move out unless they're really old.
I had a whole set of friend in one part of NOVA. Within three years, all of us but one moved. We all owned our property too.

One problem is that if people are young, hence more willing to make friends, they probably rent, and will move. If they are old and in a stable neighborhood, you probably won't be as likely to be making friends with them.

I have hired people to work at my house. More than half of them moved out of the region. Most of them moved somewhere. This is a very transient area with government workers, contractors, etc. Even in older neighborhoods, a whole slew of baby boomers are retiring and moving. My area just started turning over, and in a few years, I will have mostly new neighbors because the old ones will be retired or dead.

Let's trade more anecdotes soon.

Old 08-08-2012, 07:42 AM

513 posts, read 961,183 times
I am an arrogant, rude, mean, unfriendly. I fit well in the Mclean/Tysons Corner area.

Old 08-10-2012, 12:47 AM

1,403 posts, read 2,149,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMOCCC View Post
I had a whole set of friend in one part of NOVA. Within three years, all of us but one moved. We all owned our property too.

One problem is that if people are young, hence more willing to make friends, they probably rent, and will move. If they are old and in a stable neighborhood, you probably won't be as likely to be making friends with them.

I have hired people to work at my house. More than half of them moved out of the region. Most of them moved somewhere. This is a very transient area with government workers, contractors, etc. Even in older neighborhoods, a whole slew of baby boomers are retiring and moving. My area just started turning over, and in a few years, I will have mostly new neighbors because the old ones will be retired or dead.

Let's trade more anecdotes soon.
question is, do you have kids?

I've noticed that singles and couples without children around here do tend to be transient. They move somewhere else, come back, move again and so on. The ones with children tend to stick around because they tend to be older (more invested in their current jobs) and also for the kids (excellent schools as well as not wanting to move kids around and cause instability). If anything, the ones with kids seem to "move up" in housing and stick around in the larger NoVA area, just with bigger homes. Meanwhile their previous homes are occupied promptly by new arrivals. I think our net migration number is pretty sizable.

As for contractors, during the last boom years I saw a lot of fly-by-night operations. Many have disappeared. I generally use companies that have been around 10+ years here. Most are owned and/or run by native NoVAns. They all seem to know each other. They generally have EXCELLENT customer service, but not necessarily the lowest prices. YMMV.

Last edited by FindingZen; 08-10-2012 at 09:43 PM.. Reason: off-topic and personal attack
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia