Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2008, 08:45 AM

15,402 posts, read 28,934,961 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novamom06 View Post
For what its worth, I think there is some correlation with how friendly people are and how congested the area is. I find that when neighbors have a little more space between them, they are friendlier than when you are stacked one on top of another. Many of the surburbs in NOVA have been built like that. You sometimes need to pull back a bit to preserve some semblence of privacy. I just moved to an area where everyone has at least 1/2 an acre and I can't believe how friendly everyone is.
Very true.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2008, 08:51 AM

3,301 posts, read 11,712,491 times
I haven't found people to be snobby at all. As far as meeting people and making friends, I've found it to be pretty easy, but I'm also in the age group where we're all fresh out of college and starting up in a new place. We don't have houses with yards or families to tend to, so everyone I've met is very friendly and open.

Once you get into the demographic with kids and such, I can see where people would be more stand-offish or isolated, but I don't know if that's really being "snobbish". I've also been living closer-in (Alexandria), which seems more friendly than other suburban areas where you're surrounded by fences and big busy roads. More people walk around and tend to say "hi" and have conversations with strangers.

Old 05-19-2008, 09:54 AM

1,848 posts, read 3,724,411 times
I have lived just about everywhere. Started in NW Florida, then the midwest (Dayton...doesn't get any more white bread than that), then Europe for 6 years, then NOVA, on to Las Vegas, back to NW Florida and back to NOVA. In my opinion, as humble as it may be, you can a victim (or whatever you want to call it) etc of your expectations.

Snobs are EVERYWHERE! Never talked to my neighbors in FL...perhaps it was that long driveway (miss that) and 200 yards between houses. In Dayton, we weren't local bred and born. This applies to blue collar/white collar, everyone except those just like us.

In Europe it was the fact that we were American, understandably. In Vegas it was what job you had...no one was "From" there, in two years I don't think I spoke with a single neighbor. Was I a snob? No, just busy

In NOVA I think it is as others have posted, we are busy people. And live very close together. But I have managed to meet all my new neighbors, I have had mothers search me out when they saw I had child the same age as theirs, I have had brownies/cookies brought over (a tradition I thought was long dead). I have had an offer to mow my lawn till we got settled and found everything. Informed where the resident convicted pedophile lived...(hope he's a snob). All by different neighbors...not one extremely nosy one.

Is it my neighborhood? Do I look extremely friendly? I vote no on that one, usually screeching at my 5 year old to slow down...who knows.

But I think assuming the whole area is one way, snobby, conservative, etc, will waste time on enjoying the good things, and you might overlook something great.

Old 05-19-2008, 10:10 AM

2,765 posts, read 8,325,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairfax Mom View Post
VRE332 - I disagree with you alot but you are funny! We could have some really fun conversations.
yea baby. Mom's are hot that drive minivans?

Old 05-19-2008, 11:28 AM

1,473 posts, read 3,199,537 times
Default People

Well, people are people. Therefore, if you are a "normal" person, most people will be like you. But areas do have a personality, and if you move into an area, you can confuse that personality for behavior that was abnormal where you last lived.

For example, I used to live in Pennsylvania. Neighbors there would just walk into your house! Now in Maine, if you walk into someone's house without being invited in, bad things could happen. But in Pennsylvania it was normal. Midwesterners complain that Mainers are too.... stand-offish. Mainers think New Yorkers are too pushy. New Yorkers think Mainers are too boring. etc....

My only tip is to work with it, and try not to judge people. More then likely, they are just like you.

Old 05-19-2008, 11:33 AM

3,650 posts, read 9,498,811 times
VRE - you must very young. Remember Angelina Jolie drives a mini-van from time to time (or gets driven in one). He He

Normie - I know I am from NJ (sorry VRE) but I am not that NJ/NY type (even though I like that type) - I am actually on the shy, quiet side but get loud when I know someone well. So I am not really bugging the neighbors all the time -

I live on a 1/2 acre lot (older neighborhood) so its not like we are on top of each other and I am rushing over to get in the neighbors face LOL! And I also never let my dogs loose and if they poop I clean it up. I guess I just need to be happy with where I am.

And the strange thing is - when we first moved to the area we rented an apartment in Stafford and I found the people to be much friendlier down there. We moved to Fairfax because my husband could not stand the commute.

Old 05-19-2008, 11:51 AM

79 posts, read 342,233 times
I am moving Richmond this summer and came across your post. I have been on these boards for about 3 months.

I am not slamming your question at all, but just the talk of "snobby" on these boards.

I have not heard the word snobby since I was in highschool except for City-Data. There is so much talk of snobby people on these boards. It drives me crazy!!

Every city that I have read or posted on where I have lived (San Diego, 3 up-state ny cities, NOVA: lived there 9 yrs. ago and now Richmond) I never knew snobby people. I feel that people get judged on how they look and if they aren't the friendlist person in the world then they are snobby. Money=snobby...seems to be peoples view.

People just though a whole city together as snobby because the weathlier people live there....crazy! Some of the nicest people I know are EXTREMELY wealthy and VERY shy....they must get labeled snobby.

I think a better term that people would mean is unfriendly. You find unfriendly people in every economic level and aren't accepting of outside people, it's not being snobby.

Anyway...for your question....I found the nicest people in Fairfax when we lived there. I am outgoing and made a point to meet people, start conversations and invite others to join me for coffee or the park with the kids and allowed relationships to develop. I agree with other posters that busy lives do mean less time for neighbor relationships...just work harder.

Also...I also bring the brownies to the new neighbor as the other poster talked about. This move though, my kids decided we will bring brownies to our new neighbors to introduce ourselves first! (They want to quickly scout our if there are kids nearby!)

Good Luck...

Old 05-19-2008, 01:20 PM

2,765 posts, read 8,325,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairfax Mom View Post
VRE - you must very young. Remember Angelina Jolie drives a mini-van from time to time (or gets driven in one). He He
Moms + Mini Vans = Hot

Old 05-19-2008, 03:43 PM

14 posts, read 60,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosette8 View Post
I am moving Richmond this summer and came across your post. I have been on these boards for about 3 months.

I am not slamming your question at all, but just the talk of "snobby" on these boards.

I have not heard the word snobby since I was in highschool except for City-Data. There is so much talk of snobby people on these boards. It drives me crazy!!

Every city that I have read or posted on where I have lived (San Diego, 3 up-state ny cities, NOVA: lived there 9 yrs. ago and now Richmond) I never knew snobby people. I feel that people get judged on how they look and if they aren't the friendlist person in the world then they are snobby. Money=snobby...seems to be peoples view.

People just though a whole city together as snobby because the weathlier people live there....crazy! Some of the nicest people I know are EXTREMELY wealthy and VERY shy....they must get labeled snobby.

I think a better term that people would mean is unfriendly. You find unfriendly people in every economic level and aren't accepting of outside people, it's not being snobby.

Anyway...for your question....I found the nicest people in Fairfax when we lived there. I am outgoing and made a point to meet people, start conversations and invite others to join me for coffee or the park with the kids and allowed relationships to develop. I agree with other posters that busy lives do mean less time for neighbor relationships...just work harder.

Also...I also bring the brownies to the new neighbor as the other poster talked about. This move though, my kids decided we will bring brownies to our new neighbors to introduce ourselves first! (They want to quickly scout our if there are kids nearby!)

Good Luck...
I am originally from a small town on Canada's east coast. Within the small community, there were cliques and generally everyone from there felt like they were placed on a certain level based mostly on financial status. Although I new several people who were millionaires who were very friendly and who didn't look down on someone that had less. But sadly the majority looked down on others, mostly I guess to make themselves feel more superior.

When I moved down South, I thought people were so friendly. I too am the type to bring a cake over to the neighbors and stuff like that. I have made some wonderful friends doing things like that. But I don't feel that would be appropriate in every town. I can't imagine bringing a cake over to a neighbor in a NYC highrise, ya know. I think places dictate what one can get away with or how to handle yourself.

I'm not talking about snobby being someone too busy to say hello or unfriendly meaning snobby, that is just unfriendly, and busy is just that....busy.

I had mentioned in another post that there was a sign in one of these towns that said, "Welcome to ? ( not sure what the town was) if you're not rich you're not welcome. This is the type of snobbiness I'm referring to. The people that have loads of money and look down on other people. I don't think I equate money to snobby. But was told that there are areas in VA that seem to be like this or have given several people the impression. You know the type who won't be seen with you if you're not wearing this or that designer. I guess this is the type of people to whom I am referring. I think people who look down on others for this reason are shallow and not the type of people I would care to know anyhow.

I know what I heard obviously doesn't mean that everyone in Northern Virginia is a snob, but they had found from their experiences there that
people alot of times looked down on others because of their status within
the community.

I guess all I can do is be who I am.....if I meet you and you like me and I like you......we'll be friends....if not.......NEXT!!!

Old 05-19-2008, 07:08 PM

15,402 posts, read 28,934,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by barbieGuitard View Post
But was told that there are areas in VA that seem to be like this or have given several people the impression. You know the type who won't be seen with you if you're not wearing this or that designer. I guess this is the type of people to whom I am referring. I think people who look down on others for this reason are shallow and not the type of people I would care to know anyhow.
LOL, I think you're going to like it here. Very few people in Nova are fashion snobs. In fact the whole DC area is regularly snickered at by New Yorkers. They say we commit fashion crimes left and right--the worst crime of all (apparently) being a general non-interest in fashion. You might find a few fashion/money snobs in McLean or the elite parts of Alexandria. That's about it.

If you move out to Loudoun County, you are likely to meet some extremely wealthy people who are out planting marigolds and wearing blue jeans. Fashion is just not important in horse country (except at the Gold Cup, LOL). I don't think rich people here are snobby to people who don't have money--at least no more than rich people are anywhere on the planet. In other words, they probably hang out with people in a similar bracket. That's just human nature.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia