Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2022, 10:58 AM

191 posts, read 149,761 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVA_guy View Post
Yep. I lived in Tysons, was paying A LOT of money to be in a “central” area and the idea of walking or biking anywhere was a complete joke. No matter how many contrived walkable shopping centers they try to build, Tysons will never be a true city or walkable place — structurally it was just never built to be that, it was built to be an office park, maybe with 20 years of more work they can create more grid streets but even then, it still will be hard based on how Tysons was built at its inception.

If anyone in this area is looking for a true city where you can bike, walk, etc. Alexandria and Arlington are your best answers. Anything outside of that is going to be somewhat similar to Tysons.
Yeah, I grew up in Tysons, and although it wasn't walkable, it was a great place live as long as you have a car.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2022, 01:10 PM

35 posts, read 26,871 times
Arlington.

Tysons...great place to work...not good for what the OP is looking for.

The reason why one should choose Arlington is because you have instant easy access to the singles scenes in three areas: Arlington, DC, and Alexandria.

Last edited by someguy1234; 09-16-2022 at 01:39 PM..

Old 10-24-2022, 12:16 PM

191 posts, read 149,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by someguy1234 View Post
Arlington.

Tysons...great place to work...not good for what the OP is looking for.

The reason why one should choose Arlington is because you have instant easy access to the singles scenes in three areas: Arlington, DC, and Alexandria.

In some of the YouTube videos of Arlington that I've been watching lately, I kept hearing airplane noise like every minute. That could be a huge annoyance. Is it that bad regularly? If so, I may have to go with Bethseda instead.

Old 10-24-2022, 01:32 PM

22,444 posts, read 11,969,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VitoM2000 View Post
In some of the YouTube videos of Arlington that I've been watching lately, I kept hearing airplane noise like every minute. That could be a huge annoyance. Is it that bad regularly? If so, I may have to go with Bethseda instead.
If you live in Crystal City, for example, you will hear airport noise. IIRC, you will get some in Rosslyn (if I'm wrong, hopefully someone will correct me).

So...it depends on where in Arlington you are.

Old 10-24-2022, 02:18 PM

2,021 posts, read 4,611,129 times
You will hear airplane noise in most of Rosslyn, Courthouse and especially Crystal City as the airport is there. Rosslyn is right on the river visual landing path into the airport or if the wind is not in favor, they use that path for departures.

Old 10-24-2022, 03:29 PM

6,784 posts, read 4,221,333 times
Yeah but once you get away from the river and the airport it's pretty negligible.

Old 10-24-2022, 04:10 PM

35 posts, read 26,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VitoM2000 View Post
Unless you live in a cardboard box on the streets, there is no fear of airplane noise anywhere in Arlington. Once in a while you a get a helicopter, but for the most part, the worst noise is from cars and trucks with aftermarket exhausts. Again: Airplane noise? None. Helicopter noise? Sometimes. Obnoxious idiots with vehicles without mufflers? Depends on where you live. The worst non-vehicle noise I've ever had to deal with was living across the street from Joint Base Meyer Henderson Hall. Around the 2014-2015 time frame, there was non-stop machinegun fire from the base for a good half an hour. That happened only once but I remember it vividly. There is still loud thumping from artillery fire from Arlington Cemetery every once in a while. Airplane noise? None discernable, not even in Crystal City. Unless, again, you are living on the streets.

Old 10-24-2022, 04:42 PM

15,142 posts, read 27,756,930 times
No idea where the OP is getting the idea that there is airplane noise every minute. Crazy.

Old 10-24-2022, 09:54 PM

211 posts, read 237,413 times
There is zero airplane noise in Arlington.

Old 10-25-2022, 08:51 AM

2,021 posts, read 4,611,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas Vincit View Post
Yeah but once you get away from the river and the airport it's pretty negligible.
Correct. It's not constant but it can be especially noticeable if you're in Crystal City and Aurora Highlands neighborhoods. You'll hear it also in any of the high rise buildings around Courthouse Metro and in Rosslyn (windows open or outside) but yes it's not like you're right on the edge of the runway or anything in those two locations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia