Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2008, 09:58 PM

84 posts, read 375,653 times

Advertisements

Hi, I am about to live in Tysons and considering taking a job in Ashburn.

What's commute like? Has anybody tried?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2008, 02:27 PM

2,309 posts, read 2,282,630 times
We live in Ashburn and hubby commutes to Tysons. You should have a reverse commute and be fine...My guess is a half an hour.
Good luck

Old 05-21-2008, 10:54 AM

18 posts, read 49,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinmma View Post
We live in Ashburn and hubby commutes to Tysons. You should have a reverse commute and be fine...My guess is a half an hour.
Good luck
I will probably be doing the same commute as your husband. I found it to take about 40 minutes via the Toll Road leaving around 6:30 PM. I have not yet done the morning ride in yet, can you tell what to expect. Traffic is what it is and we really like that area so I just want to be prepared, I don't think I will change my mind, we found a house we really like so I am looking for real feedback on the commute.

Thanks

Old 05-21-2008, 04:32 PM

You know, it doesn't take him all that long to get home. A lot of people think I am crazy on here in terms of how long it takes him, but he leaves by 4:30PM and is home by 5:10. So...not bad. From Vienna he takes 7 to the toll road then gets on 28 and comes home that way. We are in Ashburn Farm.
In the morning he leaves around 7:30am and is to work by about 8:15 or so...BUT that does vary day by day.
Good luck. Ashburn is beautiful and we love it here.

Old 05-21-2008, 06:45 PM

Just checked with hubby...If he leaves at 7am, he can get to Tysons in 25 minutes if he takes the Greenway, if he doesn't take the Greenway he thinks it takes him about 35 minutes....if he leaves at 8am it's an hour and he doesn't get in until 9am.
He also said it just varies day to day. But that is anywhere. Accident, road work, all depends.
Where is the home you are considering? (I like to follow the real estate here in Ashburn.) There are some really good deals in the area. (and some not so good deals, lol!)

Old 05-22-2008, 10:31 AM

18 posts, read 49,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinmma View Post
Just checked with hubby...If he leaves at 7am, he can get to Tysons in 25 minutes if he takes the Greenway, if he doesn't take the Greenway he thinks it takes him about 35 minutes....if he leaves at 8am it's an hour and he doesn't get in until 9am.
He also said it just varies day to day. But that is anywhere. Accident, road work, all depends.
Where is the home you are considering? (I like to follow the real estate here in Ashburn.) There are some really good deals in the area. (and some not so good deals, lol!)
We are looking at Broadlands. It may be a bit further out than Ashburn Farm (not sure don't know the area that well). We have an offer out and looks good. We really liked the area and are looking for a family atmosphere for our 4 yr old son and our soon-to-be born second child.

Old 05-22-2008, 02:11 PM

3,041 posts, read 11,838,591 times
also remember the TOLL way is expensive esp if your employer doesn't reimburse. Close to $4 each way from Ashburn to Tysons.

Broadlands is a bit futher out, but it's right by the Toll, so easy acess if you are going to take that into work.

Traffic is hte worst betwwen 7:30-8:30 in the morning and 5-6:30 in the evening.

So if you can vary you times to avoid the rush all hte better.

Old 05-23-2008, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dapeach1 View Post
We are looking at Broadlands. It may be a bit further out than Ashburn Farm (not sure don't know the area that well). We have an offer out and looks good. We really liked the area and are looking for a family atmosphere for our 4 yr old son and our soon-to-be born second child.
Broadlans is SO nice and only 5 minutes down the road from where we live, so you should be okay. I think you will really love it there. We chose the Ashburn Farm b/c I wanted the mature trees and such, but there are times where I wish we would have picked the Broadlands. Enjoy!

Old 05-23-2008, 06:29 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,366,503 times
Seems to me the OP wanted to live in Tysons and work in Ashburn? That would be 20+ miles each way, so count up the gas money, but you don't need the tolls. As there won't be any signficant westbound traffic at all, get yourself onto Route-7 and don't look back. A few miles south on Claiborne Parkway, and you're there. Thirty minutes or maybe a little over, door-to-door...depending on where the doors actually are, of course...

Old 05-27-2008, 09:38 PM

60 posts, read 349,436 times
saganista is right. There isn't really any need for the Toll Rd. Rt7 is a straight shot.

If you'll be living on the Falls Church side of Tysons, and driving through Tysons, there's traffic in ALL directions (add another 20min to your commute if this is the case). As soon as you're out of Tysons and heading to Ashburn, you'll have smooth sailing since it's the opposite of most traffic.

You'll hit some traffic on Rt7 in the Ashburn area, but it's fairly mild compared to Tysons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia