Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2023, 04:09 AM

109 posts, read 122,490 times

Advertisements

I have been living in arlington 4 years now and up until now have been very happy in Pentagon City. I have loved my building but found out they will be gong under anoter amazon induced maassive constuction project to add even more retail, townhouses, etc, and thus bringing and abrupt end to the beautiful quiet green park like space we have here.

My lease up in april so starting to plan to move quieter area, more trees, familiies, less crime and most improtantly less noise. (cranes everywhere in crystal and pentagon city, causing anxiety to most people here and traffic has become scary)

I love being outside so prefer to be close to trails and parks.I also want to be within mile if possible to public transportatoin. I work in arlington but commuting is not prioroty, my peace of mind is.
I love my current place because of 24 concierce, 2 pools, gym, and walking trail so looking for something smiliar in falls church or idylwood, open to vienna but not merrifield because too much traffic

I dont want to live on highway but prefer side strees

there are some condos and apartments i have looked at online

roosevelt towers
falls green, on roosevelt blvd
renaiisance condo
idylwood condos
lakeside condos
cavalier club apartments
eaves farifax
woodlake tower condos

I am not ready to buy yet but prefer to rent for a year or 2 to get perspective and see how I like falls church. I am 41 and single have lots of friends in arlington but not needing to get to DC as much. For me , peace, securiity, low crime, walkability and nature are prioirites. I am living arlington because its just too much, too much crime now, noise, and young party hard types. Lookign for more familiy orientated area, with active healthy lifetstyles

Thank you, I wrote alot but tryign to get my mind around what I want.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2023, 06:56 AM

6,801 posts, read 4,243,396 times
Well, the places you mention share that they are just off a major highway and/or near Seven Corners, and are large, older buildings. None of those factors point toward them being particularly quiet or peaceful.

I've driven/walked past a few of them and thought look pretty ugly and depressing tbh. I don't know if this is the case with these in particular, but some of the apartments in the vicinity of those areas definitely seem a little dodgy as well (area around Seven Corners is probably among the worse ones in inner NoVa).

That aside, I think all of them are pretty far away from the Metro, so for public transit it'd be WMATA buses. I'd hate to have to rely on those for commuting especially given that they'll spend a good amount of time stuck in traffic during rush hour.

Old 01-24-2023, 07:51 AM

9,879 posts, read 14,128,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sg8910 View Post
roosevelt towers
falls green, on roosevelt blvd
renaiisance condo
idylwood condos
lakeside condos
cavalier club apartments
eaves farifax
woodlake tower condos
Quote:
I will probably buy a car eventually but dont want to rely on it.
I'm guessing, since you don't own a car, you haven't driven by these places. I suggest you spend a day with a ZipCar and check them out. I don't think most, if any, will still be on your list. I would also run crime reports and compare them to your current area.

Old 02-03-2023, 04:48 AM

thank you for reality checks , i will rent a car and check these out over a couple days. I dont want to move anywhere dodgy or depressing
i dont own a car yet but would buy one once i move that way, but yup let me take closer look

crime map is great suggesion the arlington lexis nexis only works in arlington, its very good, but the falls church one doesnt mention types of criem unless i am using wrong crime map

Old 04-07-2023, 03:42 PM

5,759 posts, read 10,725,241 times
I have an in-law who lives in Cavalier Club. They're building a bunch of McMansions across N McKinley Street (on the old Rouse estate), so there will be a noise factor for some time. And across Wilson is an area of postwar low-income garden apartments. So it would not be at the top of my list. Also I recall the freight elevator is tiny.

Idyllwood is a pretty nice area. I would also look in FC City--say along Timber Lane and Route 29 or even closer to Broad Street if you can find something in your price range.

Last edited by Carlingtonian; 04-07-2023 at 03:57 PM..

Old 04-09-2023, 03:17 AM

thank you , i just walked around the area by cavalier club and saw that development on mckinley st. I ruled out that whole area of falls church by eden center, refuse to live near strip malls or highways, but yes idylwood lookign good , am heading west in my mind overall, thank you for recommmendation for FC city

Old 04-11-2023, 10:17 AM

27,216 posts, read 43,923,184 times
OP, check out the thickly wooded North Highlands neighborhood in North Arlington. It's bisected by I-66 and north of US29-Lee Highway. It's bordered by trails/woods along Spout Run Parkway and the GW Parkway. There are many well-kept, nicer brick garden style apartments/condos in the area and some highrise as well. It's quite walkable and close to the Key Bridge (to Georgetown) and the Rosslyn Metro Station. https://www.apartments.com/?sk=e7dcf...t8_4550Hzv-pgB

Old 04-11-2023, 12:00 PM

6,801 posts, read 4,243,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
OP, check out the thickly wooded North Highlands neighborhood in North Arlington. It's bisected by I-66 and north of US29-Lee Highway. It's bordered by trails/woods along Spout Run Parkway and the GW Parkway. There are many well-kept, nicer brick garden style apartments/condos in the area and some highrise as well. It's quite walkable and close to the Key Bridge (to Georgetown) and the Rosslyn Metro Station. https://www.apartments.com/?sk=e7dcf...t8_4550Hzv-pgB

The area is kind of a 'forgotten corner'. Most of the housing is a bit older, and thus amenities might be iffy but that likely differs from place to place. The reason it's kinda forgotten is that it's really not *that* walkable to Rosslyn Metro, and it's hemmed in by the highways you mention which limits your options in terms of reachability.

It's a 15-30 minute walk to the Metro depending on where you're exactly, but it's also across quite hilly terrain so your exact walking time will also depend on how good a shape you're in. It's always been my impression that this is a 'car-first' neighborhood (like many Arlington neighborhoods away from the main clusters of density).

Old 04-13-2023, 04:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
thank you , ironically my boss lives in one of those apartments on lee highway area and ites very quiet there and affordable. i love hills, but i am a little spoiled with amentiies in my current builing and not sure i would feel okay in garden apartment with no gym or no front desk or common area.

I am now going to ask you all opinions of the fair oaks/lakes area vs Reston. I have coworkers moved to reston and loved it, i just love being close to trails and feeling like i have amentiies . I am not sure difference between area like penderbrook condos or fair arbors vs a condo in Reston. I know commute to arlington is long but i am leaning towards slower pace and more space

any opinioins of fair lakes area in farifax vs Reston. I love golf, tennis, hiking and nature, like access to trails, pools and value peace and safety. I plan on getting a car in this area, work in arlington for now.

Old 04-13-2023, 12:26 PM

27,216 posts, read 43,923,184 times
Quote:
thank you , ironically my boss lives in one of those apartments on lee highway area and ites very quiet there and affordable. i love hills, but i am a little spoiled with amentiies in my current builing and not sure i would feel okay in garden apartment with no gym or no front desk or common area.

I am now going to ask you all opinions of the fair oaks/lakes area vs Reston. I have coworkers moved to reston and loved it, i just love being close to trails and feeling like i have amentiies . I am not sure difference between area like penderbrook condos or fair arbors vs a condo in Reston. I know commute to arlington is long but i am leaning towards slower pace and more space

any opinioins of fair lakes area in farifax vs Reston. I love golf, tennis, hiking and nature, like access to trails, pools and value peace and safety. I plan on getting a car in this area, work in arlington for now.
Of the two I would go with the Reston area for its topography and nearby things to do. You have a bit more peace and quiet plus easy access to the Metro Silver Line. The Hattontown area of Herndon (south of the Dulles Toll Road) is close to the Herndon Metro Station and is fairly low density/green. Check out the Point at Monroe Place and Woodland Park Apartments.

https://www.woodlandparhttps://www.t...ace++kapt.com/

https://www.thepointatmonroeplace.co...Monroe+Place++
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia