Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2023, 06:39 PM

380 posts, read 156,558 times

Advertisements

With a bunch of stops on the orange line down for repair for 4-6 weeks (Vienna and Dunn Loring being the worst), if one works in DC they either have to use buses then metro or drive. Driving on 66 from Merrfiield or further means 66 unless you want to drive through many red lights and take 50+ minutes.

It’s absurd to me that with metros out of order and thus increases in traffic, that they charge as much as they do. Today for example, from Merrifield to DC toll in was $41.50 (8am) and toll coming home was $32.50 (5:30pm)

That is absolutely nuts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2023, 08:41 PM

3,307 posts, read 9,379,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BHW2436 View Post

It’s absurd to me that with metros out of order and thus increases in traffic, that they charge as much as they do. Today for example, from Merrifield to DC toll in was $41.50 (8am) and toll coming home was $32.50 (5:30pm)

That is absolutely nuts.
Simple solution: Carpool and ride free. If you were a Metro commuter there are probably many others with the same destination.

Old 06-08-2023, 10:47 AM

27,188 posts, read 43,886,661 times
Quote:
With a bunch of stops on the orange line down for repair for 4-6 weeks (Vienna and Dunn Loring being the worst), if one works in DC they either have to use buses then metro or drive. Driving on 66 from Merrfiield or further means 66 unless you want to drive through many red lights and take 50+ minutes.

That is absolutely nuts.
WMATA and VDOT are two completely different entities and VDOT has no responsibility for adjusting for WMATA maintenance work, despite that unreasonable expectation.

Old 06-08-2023, 04:47 PM

Well, I guess no one cares, it’s reasonable and rationale (owned by two different entities) and as pointed out, the simple solution is to find 2 strangers that live near me and also work near me in the same place in DC and we can carpool.

Mod, please close this thread.

Old 06-08-2023, 07:48 PM

12,964 posts, read 9,481,954 times
Quote:
Well, I guess no one cares, it’s reasonable and rationale (owned by two different entities) and as pointed out, the simple solution is to find 2 strangers that live near me and also work near me in the same place in DC and we can carpool.

Mod, please close this thread.
I do, just from a reasonable standpoint since I don't live in the DC area. Those tolls are ridiculously high, and perhaps should be zero as long as the Metro isn't working.

Old 06-08-2023, 08:18 PM

22,461 posts, read 11,986,290 times
OP---You don't say exactly where you live so my suggestion may or may not work for you.

Can you get to a silver line station? For example, if you live in Vienna, you could drive to the Wiehle Avenue-Reston East station and park your car there. You can use Hunter Mill Road to get you to and from Reston and into and out of Vienna. It's not ideal but at least you won't be paying such outrageous tolls.

Old 06-09-2023, 05:54 AM

15,427 posts, read 25,804,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
OP---You don't say exactly where you live so my suggestion may or may not work for you.

Can you get to a silver line station? For example, if you live in Vienna, you could drive to the Wiehle Avenue-Reston East station and park your car there. You can use Hunter Mill Road to get you to and from Reston and into and out of Vienna. It's not ideal but at least you won't be paying such outrageous tolls.
Parts of the Silver Line is shutdown too.

Old 06-09-2023, 06:23 AM

Location: IN>Germany>ND>OH>TX>CA>Currently NoVa and a Vacation Lake House in PA
3,259 posts, read 4,328,467 times
I get to work by 6am (Downtown DC from Herndon) and it's only 41 minutes in the morning and 51 minutes in the afternoon at 2pm with zero tolls. I work in the IC where early hours are the norm, but even so, most places offer flexible hours.

I'll happily go back to the Metro though when the construction is finished, because I miss reading.

Old 06-09-2023, 03:36 PM

1,304 posts, read 2,425,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
I do, just from a reasonable standpoint since I don't live in the DC area. Those tolls are ridiculously high, and perhaps should be zero as long as the Metro isn't working.
The toll is always zero if you are HOV3 and that's the point of the lanes.

During hov hours I66 is supposed to have a traffic flow rate of 45mph. When it drops below that (i.e. most days) the toll goes up to reduce the number of non HOV-3 cars on it. Too many cars and it skyrockets as has been seen on the $40 days.

Making it zero would just result in complete gridlock which goes against the point of an HOV highway to begin with. The single pay only exists to capture some extra revenue from every day rich people that don't care what it costs and occasional users.

Old 06-10-2023, 05:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boyd888 View Post
The toll is always zero if you are HOV3 and that's the point of the lanes.

During hov hours I66 is supposed to have a traffic flow rate of 45mph. When it drops below that (i.e. most days) the toll goes up to reduce the number of non HOV-3 cars on it. Too many cars and it skyrockets as has been seen on the $40 days.

Making it zero would just result in complete gridlock which goes against the point of an HOV highway to begin with. The single pay only exists to capture some extra revenue from every day rich people that don't care what it costs and occasional users.
unless you are driving with family or work in a large office, having 3 people in your car is a stretch.

My point is right now I don’t really have a choice. It’s either buses then have my commute be 75 mins, or pay crazy prices to drive. Alternative is using back roads and further clogging that up and I’m sure local residents would strongly disagree with that idea.

I’ve lived in the Northeast so I’m fine with tolls. But the dynamic ridiculousness of $40+ one way for the use of 10 miles of interstate to simply work is crazy. The tolls don’t keep traffic off right now because the alternative isn’t viable.

Maybe I’m doing something wrong? Here’s an article about these they changed the tolls, it said “pay the tolls or use the traffic regular lanes or public transportation”:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...ams/930900001/

Right now it doesn’t appear on 66 there are “regular lanes” nor is there the viable public transportation I was using with ease.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia