Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2023, 10:44 AM

4,437 posts, read 8,132,491 times

Advertisements

I've found the freshest produce at the international markets like fresh world or oh market
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2023, 11:36 AM

6,808 posts, read 4,246,943 times
More important than which store you go to is your ability to pick the right stuff. There's no retail outlet in the world that will reliably have only good produce on its shelves. It's got nothing to do with transportation etc., it's simply the fact that produce isn't made industrially to norm but grows naturally and unevenly and is notoriously unstable in its properties.

Old 07-25-2023, 06:41 PM

1,473 posts, read 1,423,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas Vincit View Post
More important than which store you go to is your ability to pick the right stuff. There's no retail outlet in the world that will reliably have only good produce on its shelves. It's got nothing to do with transportation etc., it's simply the fact that produce isn't made industrially to norm but grows naturally and unevenly and is notoriously unstable in its properties.
Good point. I have never returned any produce for refund. The judgement comes at pre-purchase inspection. The only detail I would add for the OP is to check out the 6 pack romaine hearts at the manassas costco..all in a special walk in fridge..all dated..you see the restaurant owners (Asian restaurants) buying it with both hands. I used to do some work for a farmer in the Salad Bowl....the typical restaurant stuff can be disgusting. The Costco lettuce made the grade..but not all Costco have the same integrity on food handling.

Old 07-25-2023, 06:45 PM

45,405 posts, read 60,592,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Oh lordy no.

Publix has probably the most convoluted supply chain and find much of the produce I bring home goes if you even look at it wrong. I find oddly enough that of grocers that Trader Joe's seems to hold up best and likely because they don't have a massive supply chain to deal with.
Trader Joes's? I consider about 75% of what Mrs. NBP brings home from there instant compost. Peaches that go bad in a couple days, bread that gets moldy a day later, produce that doesn't keep past a few days.

Old 07-31-2023, 01:26 PM

8,676 posts, read 22,922,371 times
Love Wegmans and I have had good luck lately with Lidl and Aldi. Unfortunately, the latter two don't always have what I am looking for, but they beat out Giant, Safeway, FL and Costco hands down. I've been meaning to hit one of the many Farmer's Markets, too.

Old 07-31-2023, 03:23 PM

1,473 posts, read 1,423,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartMoney View Post
Love Wegmans and I have had good luck lately with Lidl and Aldi. Unfortunately, the latter two don't always have what I am looking for, but they beat out Giant, Safeway, FL and Costco hands down. I've been meaning to hit one of the many Farmer's Markets, too.
Lidl in Charlottesville is closing down.

Old 07-31-2023, 04:29 PM

1,750 posts, read 2,403,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAXhound View Post
Lidl in Charlottesville is closing down.
Yes. Lidl hit the ground running a few years ago and expanded very quickly in the US. Perhaps too quickly it turns out. They are now stepping back with multiple recent store closures. They closed their Danville store last year and recently laid off 200 employees at their Arlington headquarters.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/comp...es/ar-AA1e4RNJ

Old 08-02-2023, 08:44 AM

250 posts, read 182,170 times
I've had success with Hmart. Decent prices too.

Old 08-02-2023, 10:10 AM

5,765 posts, read 11,376,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Trader Joes's? I consider about 75% of what Mrs. NBP brings home from there instant compost. Peaches that go bad in a couple days, bread that gets moldy a day later, produce that doesn't keep past a few days.
The problem with TJs is their long, long distribution chain. The big box grocery store chains usually have a metro area distribution center that serves a limited geographical area. TJs has large, multi-state distribution areas, especially along the east coast. When I lived in areas of the US with TJ stores, I usually bought some of their specialty packaged items that I could not find elsewhere, but avoided their fresh fruit & veggies. Lots of TJ's stuff is shipped from their home base in southern california.

Old 08-04-2023, 11:02 PM

17,390 posts, read 16,532,427 times
Giant was fine.

Where is Pentaon city?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia