Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2023, 06:05 AM

15,421 posts, read 9,096,973 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
I never heard of gore point (had to look it up) - regardless, how could someone say that a deranged driver in a stolen vehicle isn't at fault for hitting someone in it?? Shaking my head.
I, too, had to look up "gore point". Good to know I'm not alone.
Well you know that when you are driving you are supposed to stay in your lane and not cross solid lines right? You don't need to know what a gore point is, to know that you shouldn't be driving on it. If you decide to drive in places you shouldn't be driving, then it's hard for me to feel sorry for you is something bad happens. The white lines are not painted on the roads just to look pretty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2023, 01:40 PM

22,475 posts, read 12,014,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
Yeah, well at least one of those poor little drivers was committing a traffic infraction when they were hit. If they had been driving responsibly they would not have been involved.
You can't say that with 100% certainty.

As for your claims that every single car should have moved over for the ambulance, no one has to move over for an ambulance that's not running the siren or flashing their lights. From what I saw from the clips, the ambulance was running silent.

How can anyone anticipate what a deranged driver is going to do next? Think about it.

Old 08-15-2023, 02:03 PM

947 posts, read 1,402,905 times
Quote:
Well there you go. They don't get out of the way of the emergency vehicles because they don't think they will get rammed. But it turns out the ambulance is stolen and they do get rammed. One of the cars that was hit by the truck was illegally crossing over a gore point when he was hit. That guy should be found at fault for that crash. If he wasn't illegally crossing the gore point he wouldn't have been hit. I hope his insurance claims agent sees that video.

I'm sorry but some of these drivers deserve to get hit. They have absolutely no situational awareness whatsoever.
Since you live on the Oregon coast I guess your profound ignorance of traffic conditions in the greater Washington area can be excused. Highways around here can be filled with traffic on weekends, non-rush hour, late night, etc. There was NO place for the drivers caught in the rampage of this idiot to get out of the way, as you suggest. This isn't Route 101 on the Oregon coast.

All you seem obsessed about is the one driver who was in the gore point. Here's a quote from the Washington Post about the driver of the stolen vehicles and his actions after he crashed the first one he stole:

"He [the perp] briefly stopped and talked with people who told police Caldwell sounded “incoherent.” Caldwell intentionally “floored” his vehicle at the group “in an attempt to run them over,” police alleged. Authorities asserted he circled and drove at them again, this time running over their items. Police said in court documents that he then drove onto a bicycle path, across the grass and onto George Washington Memorial Parkway, against traffic."

By your logic, I guess the pedestrians he aimed at would have been 100 percent at fault if Caldwell had struck them because they didn't get out of his way fast enough?

Old 08-15-2023, 02:41 PM

15,145 posts, read 27,805,301 times
Quote:

As for your claims that every single car should have moved over for the ambulance, no one has to move over for an ambulance that's not running the siren or flashing their lights. From what I saw from the clips, the ambulance was running silent.

How can anyone anticipate what a deranged driver is going to do next? Think about it.
He/she is obviously not thinking

Old 08-15-2023, 02:43 PM

15,145 posts, read 27,805,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ICS67 View Post
Since you live on the Oregon coast I guess your profound ignorance of traffic conditions in the greater Washington area can be excused. Highways around here can be filled with traffic on weekends, non-rush hour, late night, etc. There was NO place for the drivers caught in the rampage of this idiot to get out of the way, as you suggest. This isn't Route 101 on the Oregon coast.

All you seem obsessed about is the one driver who was in the gore point. Here's a quote from the Washington Post about the driver of the stolen vehicles and his actions after he crashed the first one he stole:

"He [the perp] briefly stopped and talked with people who told police Caldwell sounded “incoherent.” Caldwell intentionally “floored” his vehicle at the group “in an attempt to run them over,” police alleged. Authorities asserted he circled and drove at them again, this time running over their items. Police said in court documents that he then drove onto a bicycle path, across the grass and onto George Washington Memorial Parkway, against traffic."

By your logic, I guess the pedestrians he aimed at would have been 100 percent at fault if Caldwell had struck them because they didn't get out of his way fast enough?
Thank you! Obsessed is one word for it

Old 08-16-2023, 03:59 AM

Quote:

I heard sirens in the video, and the flashing lights are clearly visible. But even if it was not an ambulance, police chases involve dozens of police cars. When you see a line of a dozen police cars coming up behind you in your rearview mirror, it's probably a good idea to start paying attention. Because something is about to happen, and it's not going to be good.

Old 08-16-2023, 04:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICS67 View Post

I drove delivery trucks in the San Francisco Bay Area for 15 years. I know what traffic is like. I pull over for emergency vehicles, some people don't. It's your choice, but if you don't want to pull over, be prepared for the consequences.

Old 08-16-2023, 04:41 AM

18,950 posts, read 11,600,412 times
The driver of the three stolen vehicles has had run-ins with the law before - multiple charges, including for
Spoiler
stealing a vehicle and trying to drive it on train tracks
. From another source, looks like he might’ve injured at least one animal in that incident. Write up from The Washington Post:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/dc-md...len-ambulance/

Posting Guide

Old 08-16-2023, 01:40 PM

6,814 posts, read 4,257,270 times
The kind of guy who probably should be in jail for good.

Old 08-16-2023, 03:54 PM

22,475 posts, read 12,014,567 times
Quote:
I heard sirens in the video, and the flashing lights are clearly visible. But even if it was not an ambulance, police chases involve dozens of police cars. When you see a line of a dozen police cars coming up behind you in your rearview mirror, it's probably a good idea to start paying attention. Because something is about to happen, and it's not going to be good.
You don't live in NoVA thus you aren't familiar as to what traffic is like around here. The major roads are constantly congested no matter what time of day (although in the wee hours, less so). It's not easy to move over for a deranged driver or to get out of the way of the police. IOW, it's not as simple as signaling one's turn then easily moving over.

You can pay attention all you want but if there is a deranged driver climbing up on your tail, moving over quickly isn't always possible.

If you think that all those people whose cars got hit are to blame for not getting out of the deranged driver's way, then you are really naive. Even if they all were able to get into a breakdown lane (assuming there is one), they still wouldn't have been safe from such a driver.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
View detailed profiles of: