Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2023, 09:32 AM

15,143 posts, read 27,769,264 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
One can always buy a cart or wagon to transport their groceries.

For example:

https://www.walmart.com/c/kp/foldabl...ts-with-wheels

https://www.target.com/s/collapsible+wagon
Piece of cake in snow/ice/using a cane/walker.............
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2023, 10:13 AM

3,934 posts, read 2,186,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAXhound View Post
The pickens have been thin for years. I thought this was interesting....I think taxes are more like 4000. HOA slightly under 300. Don't know why it has been sitting since June...on paper it checks many boxes. Walkscore is not that good, but great grocery and medical. Nice parks, too. The public schools are all 9s, which puts it ahead of West Springfield and even TJ.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/4...ource=txtshare
It is below ground level - basically basement apartment with daylight walk out to make it legal.
The majority wouldn’t want to live in the basement at this price level; perhaps crime issues, apartment safety here too?

Old 11-13-2023, 11:38 AM

1,471 posts, read 1,416,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
Show me me a majority of "old folks" that can walk a mile (at least) in each direction carrying groceries.
We get heavy items delivered from Amazon. Prescriptions come from Optum. The second bedroom is for whomever is helping them. They could get Omaha Steaks delivered 10 times per month and still be 5000 ahead per month over the base price of assisted living. Don't know of anyone who can walk on ice...He walked a half mile each way this morning..to shoot baskets.

Old 11-14-2023, 06:53 AM

15,427 posts, read 25,801,824 times
Quote:
We get heavy items delivered from Amazon. Prescriptions come from Optum. The second bedroom is for whomever is helping them. They could get Omaha Steaks delivered 10 times per month and still be 5000 ahead per month over the base price of assisted living. Don't know of anyone who can walk on ice...He walked a half mile each way this morning..to shoot baskets.
If everything gets delivered than no need for walkable home, right?

Old 11-14-2023, 10:21 AM

1,529 posts, read 2,263,242 times
Check out Heritage Hunt in Haymarket. Lots of Dr offices across the street and a bunch of different practices are located in the INOVA Haymarket hospital less than 2 miles away. Can walk to Harris Teeter and other places

Old 11-14-2023, 04:16 PM

1,750 posts, read 2,399,696 times
Quote:
Show me me a majority of "old folks" that can walk a mile (at least) in each direction carrying groceries.
Define "old." If over 65, that's me! I regularly walk several miles carrying purchases of at least 30 lbs. Also, define "walkable." If I can walk several miles without getting mashed into a moist smear on the asphalt, that's "walkable" for me.

Old 11-15-2023, 01:32 AM

22,457 posts, read 11,981,552 times
Quote:
Piece of cake in snow/ice/using a cane/walker.............
True. One could call Uber or Lyft in those situations.

Old 11-15-2023, 07:07 AM

6,556 posts, read 8,384,627 times
"easier and better" is subjective - so what does that mean to them?

You also brought up schools. Will the retirees have school aged children?

Properties in DC appear to be more expensive than those in Northern VA (especially those outside the Beltway) but perhaps DC offers them the lifestyle they want that Northern VA cannot - more easy access to venues - the Kennedy Center, museums, etc.

Will they have a vehicle? If so, access to parking needs to be considered which can be tricky in DC. The condo indicates that there is "ample street parking" but does that mean it's easy to find a spot close-ish to the building? Plenty of people are fine with street parking but I find it to be very inconvenient - that alone would turn me off to that property. I want dedicated parking.

If they don't have a car, then public transportation might be more easily accessible to them in DC.

Do they plan to age in place? Is this a good place if they become less mobile and can't navigate stairs?

Also, consider the tax rate for each location.

I would consider this property over the one that you posted. The HOA fee is more expensive but there are a lot more amenities (including two parking spots in a garage).

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...=srp-list-card

FWIW, I don't know many folks who retire to DC (or NOVA for that matter) so what's the draw for them?

Last edited by HokieFan; 11-15-2023 at 07:22 AM..

Old 11-18-2023, 05:47 PM

1,471 posts, read 1,416,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieFan View Post
"easier and better" is subjective - so what does that mean to them?

You also brought up schools. Will the retirees have school aged children?

Properties in DC appear to be more expensive than those in Northern VA (especially those outside the Beltway) but perhaps DC offers them the lifestyle they want that Northern VA cannot - more easy access to venues - the Kennedy Center, museums, etc.

Will they have a vehicle? If so, access to parking needs to be considered which can be tricky in DC. The condo indicates that there is "ample street parking" but does that mean it's easy to find a spot close-ish to the building? Plenty of people are fine with street parking but I find it to be very inconvenient - that alone would turn me off to that property. I want dedicated parking.

If they don't have a car, then public transportation might be more easily accessible to them in DC.

Do they plan to age in place? Is this a good place if they become less mobile and can't navigate stairs?

Also, consider the tax rate for each location.

I would consider this property over the one that you posted. The HOA fee is more expensive but there are a lot more amenities (including two parking spots in a garage).

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...=srp-list-card

FWIW, I don't know many folks who retire to DC (or NOVA for that matter) so what's the draw for them?
Draws would be world class healthcare and the need to be carless. His first job in DC was on Wisconsin Ave., so we have a connection to that specific area. Someone mentioned Heritage Hunt...lol..they were original owners there from 1999 to 2003. Doable..but not good for me....BTW, we are 237 years old between us.

Old 11-20-2023, 07:37 PM

9,875 posts, read 14,116,397 times
Quote:
BTW, we are 237 years old between us.
I'm sorry..you are both well over 100 years old?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia