Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2024, 05:18 PM

2,145 posts, read 3,058,991 times

Advertisements

You should wander over to the politics forum with your concerns.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2024, 05:26 PM

16,414 posts, read 12,487,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sprklcl View Post
And they have no problem covering DC Mayor Bowser marching in a DuPont Circle parade of no interest to VA and MD residents.
A 60 second story about the DC mayor marching in a parade is VERY different than live coverage of Younkin’s entire inaugural address.

Old 01-18-2024, 06:24 PM
Status: "Apparently the worst poster on CD" (set 22 days ago)

27,631 posts, read 16,115,213 times
Local news broadcasts are much the same everywhere. Like cookie cutter, just like op described.

Old 01-19-2024, 03:24 PM

22,448 posts, read 11,972,828 times
We gave up on watching the local news when the pandemic along with BLM came around. Truth is, we don't miss it. We get weather reports online and local news from the Patch publications. Same with national and international news. The internet makes it easy to find articles from different publications.

Flamingo13---The OP explained that she has an elderly relative living with her who puts on the local news. If one is in earshot, it's hard to avoid catching snippets of it.

Old 01-21-2024, 04:46 AM

4,190 posts, read 2,501,136 times
Local TV, like most TV is driven by ratings. Once time is allotted for the weather, sports, the feel good articles, there isn't much time for real news.

Old 01-25-2024, 01:21 PM

290 posts, read 633,582 times
Quote:
This is a problem unique to the No. VA / DC area since so close to ground zero of the federal government, but do you find the local TV news covered so imbalanced, not relevant, and annoying? In a half hour, they report the weather 3-4 times, hyping it up as much as they can, and besides say the latest local shooting, they the newscasters seem to hate and trash Trump many days (sometimes valid, sometimes not), likely will happen with DeSantis if/when elected also doing good for the people, but support and defend Biden's sometimes plain evil leftist agenda in some minds. Within the Washington DC city borders it votes 90%+ Democrat, more so than other cities, though in the DMV outer suburbs it is more red. At the same time, useful TV news to so many, such as the postage stamp increase to 68 cents on January 21 is not reported, or at best after the fact after previous stamp prices increases. It is why I come to City Data and other internet sources outside of my market for my news. I had to live stream from one of Richmond stations VA governor's Glenn Youngkin inauguration in Jan 2022 with a unifying message, as none of the local DC TV stations chose to carry it. The DMV TV news coverage is so bad here, some call it brainwashing, and some close friends also choose to distrust it.
I say this with all sincerity and good will. The Northern Virginia/DC area may not be the right fit for you culturally. You sound VERY conservative for this area and would probably find far more like-minded folks in other Sun Belt metros in Florida, Texas, Tennessee, Georgia, the Carolinas, etc. Most of my conservative friends who I grew up with here in the DC area moved out to places like that many years ago. It's pretty progressive here and only getting more so as time goes on.

Old 01-27-2024, 07:54 PM

550 posts, read 364,043 times
I know what you are saying. Helping an aged 80s relative in the area with some caregiving here and there at least weekly. When no longer needed for that, am already researching more conservative areas to move to.

Old 01-28-2024, 05:25 AM

4,190 posts, read 2,501,136 times
Quote:
And DC seat of federal government more contentious federal coverage.

And they have no problem covering DC Mayor Bowser marching in a DuPont Circle parade of no interest to VA and MD residents.

They would have more time covering other news if they not think we are so stupid to have to cover the weather every several minutes.
Was this the Capitol Pride Parade? If so, it would have been of interest to folks living throughout the area. It's a huge regional event with an annual attendance of over 200,000. That is not something to be ignored in the news. We would drive up to the Vienna Station and then take the Metro into DC to march in it in the '90's, but alas, now I too old. There was a time when that community was ignored; now it's not. What's wrong with a bit of celebration?

Old 01-29-2024, 04:06 AM

735 posts, read 1,170,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
We gave up on watching the local news when the pandemic along with BLM came around. Truth is, we don't miss it. We get weather reports online and local news from the Patch publications. Same with national and international news. The internet makes it easy to find articles from different publications.

Flamingo13---The OP explained that she has an elderly relative living with her who puts on the local news. If one is in earshot, it's hard to avoid catching snippets of it.

I gave up watching except for the weather segments when the world caught on fire.

Prior to that I was watching NBC 4 in the later 2010s, in the early 2010s it was Fox 5 until my favorite reporter Brian Bolter retired.

I am curious to know who is the tv news leader in this market currently? It used to be NBC 4 for many years. But they had several popular on air talent exit the station due to retirements and deaths. I also think the news set redesign didn't go over too well either.

Fox 5 moved to a new building and expanded their news offerings as well as dumping seasoned on air talent for younger and sexier anchors.

WJLA ABC 7 and WUSA CBS 9 news coverage does not seem to be as comprehensive as their competitors. U think both of those stations fight it out for fourth and fifth place.

WDVM DC News Now (formerly WHAG NBC 25) did a good job covering news in the northwest counties outside of DC. But when they expanded to cover all of the DMV, they started behaving like WJLA and WUSA.

In closing, I suspect WTTG Fox 5 is the current news leader. However, I can't find any information on it nor prove it.

Old 02-16-2024, 11:55 AM

1,467 posts, read 1,414,990 times
I remember when Paul Barry referred to Minnesota as the Land of a Thousand Lakes ..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
View detailed profiles of: