Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2008, 11:02 AM
CNI CNI started this thread

194 posts, read 578,428 times

Advertisements

[Apologies for stealing Tex?Il?'s idea (and wording) but I saw a thread he opened in the NJ forum asking this question of NJ residents.]

Just curious...

Given the very close proximity of much of the northern Virginia population to D.C. (I know much of northern VA is basically bedroom communities/suburbs of D.C.) do any of you say you are from the D.C. when talking to someone outside your region.

Do you identify yourselves as D.C. area people, or does the effect of being in a different state all together prevent that kind of thing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2008, 11:06 AM

352 posts, read 1,591,490 times
Yeah, I usually do. I usually say "I'm from the DC Metro area." That seems to give people the right idea.

If I'm outside of Northern Virginia but still in Virginia (or Maryland, or the District, or even West Virginia or Delaware) I'll say "I'm from NoVA."

Old 06-04-2008, 11:12 AM

2,765 posts, read 8,325,339 times
I say "I live in Manassas, Virginia. 30+ miles west of DC"

"Watch out for the confederate flags"

"Drive west on 66 until you smell the cow manure"

Old 06-04-2008, 09:25 PM

63 posts, read 171,719 times
I live in Clifton,Va. If I am somewhere in another part of Va. I say "I live in northern Va. in a town called Clifton". If I am outside Va. I usually say, "I live in Fairfax County, Va. a suburb of Washington D.C." If they are familiar with Fairfax, I will say "Clifton". Before I moved here, I remember people telling me they were from Northern Virginia and I didn't have a clue what that meant or where it was, so that's why I don't use it with out of staters. (Although maybe I was just stupid and needed a geography lesson)

Old 06-04-2008, 09:30 PM

1,117 posts, read 2,038,027 times
When we lived in DC (three years at Walter Reed) I claimed that I lived in DC. When we moved to Maryland, I said I lived "on the Maryland side of DC"

Then I moved to S. Va. I am nowhere close. LOL

Old 06-05-2008, 07:13 AM

3,301 posts, read 11,712,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janie01 View Post
Before I moved here, I remember people telling me they were from Northern Virginia and I didn't have a clue what that meant or where it was, so that's why I don't use it with out of staters.
I have a coworker who thought "North Virginia" was an entirely separate state from Virginia before she moved here (which, depending on who you talk to isn't entirely inaccurate). So, you're not alone

Old 06-05-2008, 08:14 AM

239 posts, read 671,115 times
Default Yep

Yes, I lived in Arlington and always said I'm from DC or the DC area. That was an easy one! Best!

Old 06-05-2008, 08:43 AM

25 posts, read 68,822 times
No I pretty much say that I am from the DC area!

Old 06-05-2008, 08:55 AM

3,301 posts, read 11,712,491 times
When I lived in Alexandria I said "outside DC", but that's mainly because I grew up getting annoyed at people who said they were "from Philly" when they meant Bucks County, Malvern, or South Jersey.

Old 06-05-2008, 04:12 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,718,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CNI View Post
[Apologies for stealing Tex?Il?'s idea (and wording) but I saw a thread he opened in the NJ forum asking this question of NJ residents.]

Just curious...

Given the very close proximity of much of the northern Virginia population to D.C. (I know much of northern VA is basically bedroom communities/suburbs of D.C.) do any of you say you are from the D.C. when talking to someone outside your region.

Do you identify yourselves as D.C. area people, or does the effect of being in a different state all together prevent that kind of thing?
Honestly, i dont consider Northern Virginia part of Virginia (i love Virginia too much to associate it NoVA.) So yes i say i'm from DC generally.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia