Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 06-16-2008, 08:50 PM
 
42 posts, read 279,864 times
Reputation: 29

Advertisements

I'm lucky enough to normally be able to avoid the Beltway during rush hours, but I might have to fly out of BWI on a Friday morning. I would want to be at the airport by 7:30. Does anyone know:

1. How's the traffic on the Beltway and B-W parkway at that time of the morning? Presumably I am reverse-commuting, so hopefully it isn't too bad. What time should I leave?

2. Is it better to take 295 through DC to the B-W parkway, or take the Beltway all the way around?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-17-2008, 04:58 AM
 
Location: Springfield
2,765 posts, read 8,294,727 times
Reputation: 1112
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexandrian View Post
I'm lucky enough to normally be able to avoid the Beltway during rush hours, but I might have to fly out of BWI on a Friday morning. I would want to be at the airport by 7:30. Does anyone know:

1. How's the traffic on the Beltway and B-W parkway at that time of the morning? Presumably I am reverse-commuting, so hopefully it isn't too bad. What time should I leave?

2. Is it better to take 295 through DC to the B-W parkway, or take the Beltway all the way around?

That totally sucks. That's a huge commute when you have DCA right in your backyard. What's wrong with DCA?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-17-2008, 10:17 AM
 
1,624 posts, read 4,852,607 times
Reputation: 1308
Quote:
Originally Posted by VRE332 View Post
That totally sucks. That's a huge commute when you have DCA right in your backyard. What's wrong with DCA?
Um, no international flights. Or Southwest Airlines. Less availability in terms of direct flights or convenient flight times. No red eye flights. Higher priced airfares.

Getting to BWI is a pain (same with Dulles), but spending an extra couple of hours to avoid a five hour layover in Chicago, Dallas, or Miami is well worth it.

I would leave at 5:30am to be safe. Without traffic, it takes about an hour.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-17-2008, 11:05 AM
 
Location: Springfield
2,765 posts, read 8,294,727 times
Reputation: 1112
Quote:
Originally Posted by slim04 View Post
Um, no international flights. Or Southwest Airlines. Less availability in terms of direct flights or convenient flight times. No red eye flights. Higher priced airfares.

Getting to BWI is a pain (same with Dulles), but spending an extra couple of hours to avoid a five hour layover in Chicago, Dallas, or Miami is well worth it.

I would leave at 5:30am to be safe. Without traffic, it takes about an hour.
Have you checked Spirit Airlines, they're a discount carrier out of DCA. There are international flights out of DCA too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-17-2008, 12:07 PM
 
42 posts, read 279,864 times
Reputation: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by VRE332 View Post
That totally sucks. That's a huge commute when you have DCA right in your backyard. What's wrong with DCA?
I usually fly out of DCA but in this case the fares from there are twice as expensive as out of BWI.

I'd consider taking MARC but I'm returning on Sunday night.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-17-2008, 05:28 PM
 
Location: Springfield
2,765 posts, read 8,294,727 times
Reputation: 1112
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexandrian View Post
I usually fly out of DCA but in this case the fares from there are twice as expensive as out of BWI.

I'd consider taking MARC but I'm returning on Sunday night.
So daily parking, plus gas, plus metro fare is worth it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-17-2008, 06:10 PM
 
42 posts, read 279,864 times
Reputation: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by VRE332 View Post
So daily parking, plus gas, plus metro fare is worth it?
Yes, 3 days of parking and 90 miles of gas is easily worth the ~$225 I'll save on the airfare.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-18-2008, 11:09 AM
 
Location: Metro Washington DC
15,395 posts, read 25,632,282 times
Reputation: 10394
Quote:
Originally Posted by VRE332 View Post
There are international flights out of DCA too.
The only international flights from DCA are to Canada.

To get to BWI at that time of the morning, I would take the beltway to the BW Parkway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
View detailed profiles of:

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:57 AM.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top