Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2008, 05:35 PM
fdg fdg started this thread

33 posts, read 133,828 times

Advertisements

We are looking to buy a house in the Gainesville/Haymarket area in the next few months (just waiting for our house to sell). Can someone please recommend neighborhoods (also, if there are any you would avoid in these areas, that would also be good to know) in both areas that would be good to look at for a family with a young child.
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2008, 10:58 AM

621 posts, read 3,198,302 times
Most neighborhoods in those two areas are very family friendly. There are a lot of young, just starting out families so I think you all would fit right in. I live in the Villages of Piedmont in Haymarket and love it. There are a lot of kids in my neighborhood. I'm not sure if you're looking for a TH or SFH, but with either you will have plenty to choose from. Just drive around one weekend. I know some others on here that live in G'ville can give you a better idea of the different neighborhoods there. Overall though I don't think there are any that you need to avoid. Good luck!

Old 06-27-2008, 11:21 AM

1,266 posts, read 5,596,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msjack View Post
Overall though I don't think there are any that you need to avoid.
Ditto on what MsJack said. You're best off just driving up and down say Hwy 15, Hwy 29 and Linton Hall and driving thru the neighborhoods. It's a small enough area that you can do that. I live in Morris Farm off Rollins Ford Road and I love it. Particularly the trails and the pool house. The pool house is at the back of the neighborhood and looks over the trees and meadow. So my bathing suit clad body is not on display on a main road! We have a nice park, well 2, but one is situated under some nice old trees for shade.

Maybe we could guide you more if we knew what was important to you? A house vs. townhouse. Do you want a pool house? Do you want trails? Do you want a park? Do you want a gated community? What's your budget? Do you want brand new home, an older home, or a forclosure? The list goes on and on...

Old 06-27-2008, 12:32 PM

Thanks for the responses. We are looking for a SFH - preferably at or under $400K. A pool and play area for the little one would be great but not necessary. Any thoughts on Bristow as well would be appreciated. Heard good things about Braemar and Victory Lakes as well. Virginia Oaks would be great, but probably a little out of our price range. Is the commute in from Gainesville/Haymarket comparable to that of Bristow?
We'll probably head out there this weekend to drive around. Will probably have a few more questions after we do. The feedback is greatly appreciated! Thanks

Old 06-27-2008, 05:46 PM

1,266 posts, read 5,596,141 times
I was just nosing around on a realtor website that shows homes for sale on a map and they are color coded by price. I only looked at areas right near me... VA Oaks, Glenkirk, Kingsbrooke, Morris Farm & Braemar. Seems most people are pricing SFH starting in the low 400's. That's not to say you can't find a SFH for less than 400K, but they are less of them for sale.

I saw a few nice homes in Braemar. This particular part of the neighborhood I am refering to is directly south of Safeway, which is seperated from the rest of Braemar.

Honestly, Haymarket, Gainesville and Bristow blend into one another. So it's kind of like same difference. Have you been out here? Where would you be commuting job wise?

Old 06-27-2008, 07:34 PM

We just rode out to Bristow tonight. We are hoping to get out to Gainesville tomorrow to look around - would like to drive thru the neighborhoods you mentioned above as well as a few in Haymarket. Price-wise we seem to be right on the lower limits for some of the houses in these neighborhoods, but hopefully with the current market we can find a decent enough deal to get us close to the $400K area. The commute for my spouse will initially be to the GMU area - that will change in the next year or so to an area right off I-66 at Fairfax County Pkwy. Thanks again for the feedback. May check back in after our weekend tour of Gainesville.

Old 07-04-2008, 09:10 AM

Anyone have any information/thoughts on Westmarket or Piedmont Mews in Haymarket?
Thanks.

Old 07-04-2008, 09:55 PM

621 posts, read 3,198,302 times
When I was looking for a home I actually looked at Westmarket. I LOVED their floorplans and fell in love with a home in that community. However, it backs right up to 15 and as you know they are widening 15 as we speak. That changed my mind, because I didn't want to look out my backyard at a raging road. I'm not sure if you're looking at TH or SFH, because I think the SFH in that community don't back up to 15. Which would be a lot better. I chose a different community though. Although I have to say if it didn't back up to 15 that's where I would have purchased. I don't know anything about the other property you mentioned.

Old 07-05-2008, 02:25 PM

2,765 posts, read 8,299,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msjack View Post
When I was looking for a home I actually looked at Westmarket. I LOVED their floorplans and fell in love with a home in that community. However, it backs right up to 15 and as you know they are widening 15 as we speak. That changed my mind, because I didn't want to look out my backyard at a raging road. I'm not sure if you're looking at TH or SFH, because I think the SFH in that community don't back up to 15. Which would be a lot better. I chose a different community though. Although I have to say if it didn't back up to 15 that's where I would have purchased. I don't know anything about the other property you mentioned.

You're right about Westmarket because it's a pain to get in/out of that community. In addition, all those communities on 15 are a going to be a pain for a few more years until construction is finished. If you want to live in a quiet community try the town of haymarket 3 communities: GreenHill Crossings, Haymarket Station and Villages of Haymarket.

Old 07-08-2008, 09:58 AM

A little more help please for anyone familiar with the following neighborhoods - Kingsbrooke, Foxborough and Shefield Manor. Any information regarding these neighborhoods (including schools) would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia