Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-01-2008, 07:48 AM

15 posts, read 88,238 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

I just signed a purchase contract with a builder this past Saturday. The contract is for a townhome that will be completed by Nov this yr. It is located off route 50 in Loudon County.

I think I am going to back out of the contract. Since I am not going to relloc to that area until 3rd quarter of next yr, I think I'd rather wait what happen to the housing market in between now and may mid of next yr. Anyway, inventories are high in that area.

I recall there is a 3 day cool-off period for all real estate transaction in VA, no?

Can I just email/fax the cancelation request to the builder's sales representative? Or do i need to draft the cancelation form/letter and Fedex?

Anyone have a draft or perhaps link for a template of such letter?

Thanks!
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2008, 07:51 AM

523 posts, read 1,417,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSugarRush View Post
Hello all,

I just signed a purchase contract with a builder this past Saturday. The contract is for a townhome that will be completed by Nov this yr. It is located off route 50 in Loudon County.

I think I am going to back out of the contract. Since I am not going to relloc to that area until 3rd quarter of next yr, I think I'd rather wait what happen to the housing market in between now and may mid of next yr. Anyway, inventories are high in that area.

I recall there is a 3 day cool-off period for all real estate transaction in VA, no?

Can I just email/fax the cancelation request to the builder's sales representative? Or do i need to draft the cancelation form/letter and Fedex?

Anyone have a draft or perhaps link for a template of such letter?

Thanks!
I take it your an impulse shopper?

Old 07-01-2008, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo_1979 View Post
I take it your an impulse shopper?
The builder gave me a good deal, at least that's what I thought at that moment. Close to $20K off from listing price of $370K + $20K free options and $10K closing cost help. But after I came home and did a bit more research, I think it will be better if I wait to buy when it is closer to my actual reloc date. I will get a better outlook on the housing market (mess) the longer I can postpone this purchase. I agree if I am going to live in that townhouse as soon as it is built in Nov08, then now is an ok time to buy. Being in the buyer's market and all.

In my circumstances, I am tempted to wait at least closer to my actual reloc date and hoping to get a better deal .

3 days cooling off period after the signing of a real estate contract in Virginia, exists or no?

Last edited by TheSugarRush; 07-01-2008 at 08:37 AM..

Old 07-01-2008, 08:14 AM

3,041 posts, read 11,885,780 times
Quote:
that's what I thought at that moment. Close to $20K off from 'actual' price, $20K in option and $10K closing cost help. But after I came home and did a bit more research,
yes, you are an impluse buyer and nopw you have buyer remorse. most people do the research before purchasing A MAJOR appliance let alone a HOUSE!

this is part of the reason the housing market is a mess.
sorry, you won't get any sympathy from me.

BUT...I do think there is a 48hour back out clause...I call my realestate agent and get on it pronto.

Old 07-01-2008, 08:22 AM

4,709 posts, read 12,672,871 times
There is no cooling off period or rescission period unless it is written into the contract. Once the contract is signed and accepted by both parties, it is a legally binding document.

Old 07-01-2008, 08:38 AM

1,059 posts, read 2,962,528 times
If the new home is in a "common interest community", i.e., has a homeowners association, you have 3 days from receiving the information packet to cancel the contract. Usually, the builder's representative has you sign the receipt when you sign the purchase agreement. Read the receipt, it will tell you how to cancel. You better get on this immediately if you signed it Saturday, today is the third day.

If there is no HOA, you are SOL and will need an attorney to get out of this, if indeed you can. Why would you rush into such an important decision without doing your homeowrk first? Sometime I think people do more research before buying a car than they do before buying a home.

Old 07-01-2008, 09:11 AM

2,765 posts, read 8,327,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Margery View Post
I think people do more research before buying a car than they do before buying a home.
Depends on what type of home, because mobile homes can be crash tested. okay, just laugh and move on

Old 07-01-2008, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5stones View Post
yes, you are an impluse buyer and nopw you have buyer remorse. most people do the research before purchasing A MAJOR appliance let alone a HOUSE!

this is part of the reason the housing market is a mess.
sorry, you won't get any sympathy from me.

BUT...I do think there is a 48hour back out clause...I call my realestate agent and get on it pronto.

I am sorry, but this is my 1st home. Lesson learned.

Old 07-01-2008, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margery View Post
If the new home is in a "common interest community", i.e., has a homeowners association, you have 3 days from receiving the information packet to cancel the contract. Usually, the builder's representative has you sign the receipt when you sign the purchase agreement. Read the receipt, it will tell you how to cancel. You better get on this immediately if you signed it Saturday, today is the third day.

If there is no HOA, you are SOL and will need an attorney to get out of this, if indeed you can. Why would you rush into such an important decision without doing your homeowrk first? Sometime I think people do more research before buying a car than they do before buying a home.
I see the clause in the contract, it says 3 days are given to allow cancelation from receiving the HOA doc. I did received the hoa doc on the same day I signed the contract. The hoa doc were given to me on the spot. ..I am going to get on it right away. Thanks for the help!

Last edited by TheSugarRush; 07-01-2008 at 10:42 AM..

Old 07-01-2008, 10:07 AM

2,309 posts, read 2,313,977 times
Go NOW to cancel it. Today is the third day and you don't want to have them hold you up. RUN to that office...leave work and go there NOW.

ANd everyone else remember that first time home buying is very exciting and you can get caught up in the moment. ESPECIALLY at new home builders...the pressue is enourmous and they entice you with great incentives and it is hard to say no. I think he learned his lesson.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia