Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2008, 04:29 PM

39 posts, read 138,095 times

Advertisements

I know this has been discussed, but I'd like to share my scenario/specifics to see what people think.

I currently live in Alexandria (Hybla Valley/Mount Vernon area) and my commute of 13 miles takes about 35-40 minutes.

My wife and I have been looking to move to the west-of-Tysons area to be closer to family and friends. We've been looking at Vienna for many months now but can't find anything that we like for the price we want to pay. For $600K you get a split level or rambler style home built in the 1960's... and for that amount in Great Falls you get a nice colonial built in the 1980's!

So, I've been toying with the idea of moving to Great Falls, but the commute is my biggest fear. I can handle a 1 hour commute, but I'm not sure how I'll feel about 1.5 hours or more every day.

I would need to commute from the Sugarland Run area of Great Falls to Capitol Hill. The distance is approximately 25 miles.

My work day starts at 9:00AM and I get off at 7:00PM every day.

I've considered taking both Rt 7 or the Georgetown Pike to the beltway and shooting across the GW Pkwy.

Can anyone shed light on the commute time?

Also, how are the schools (Lowes Island/Seneca Ridge/Dominion) in that area? My wife and I just found out that she's pregnant with our first child so moving and schools are more important than ever!

I'd really appreaciate any insight anyone might have before I go buy a house!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2008, 04:47 PM

264 posts, read 855,250 times
Hi- we were looking at Great Falls as well- I don't have personal experience on the commute but have close friends that are moving since the spouse works in Bethesda, MD now and route 7 is bumper to bumper to get to the beltway. The schools you mentioned are not "great falls" proper- they are Sterling, VA. Great Falls would always feed to Langley high school- elem schools furthest west are forestville or great falls elem..hth a bit!

Old 08-12-2008, 05:07 PM

1,261 posts, read 6,107,778 times
If you are commuting to the Hill from Sterling as a solo driver, you are looking at an average commute of 1 hour in the mornings and about 1.5 hours in the evenings. If you truly leave work after 7:00 pm, you can make it in a bit over an hour in the evenings provided there is no inclement weather or unusual traffic circumstances. My husband and I lived in Herndon (very close to Sterling) in temporary quarters for 4 months and that was pretty much his commute. He had a similar schedule on the Hill.

Old 08-12-2008, 09:06 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,491,822 times
Congratulations on the future arrival, but if I were you, I'd think seriously about the 60's rambler closer in. If you're work schedule is 9:00 to 7:00, you'll be out of the house for at least 13 hours a day during the week from as far out as you're talking about. That would put a lot on any spouse, but particularly on a pregnant one...

Old 08-13-2008, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arabellava View Post
Hi- we were looking at Great Falls as well- I don't have personal experience on the commute but have close friends that are moving since the spouse works in Bethesda, MD now and route 7 is bumper to bumper to get to the beltway. The schools you mentioned are not "great falls" proper- they are Sterling, VA. Great Falls would always feed to Langley high school- elem schools furthest west are forestville or great falls elem..hth a bit!
Arabellava, do you know how bad the traffic is on Georgetown Pike?

Old 08-13-2008, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
Congratulations on the future arrival, but if I were you, I'd think seriously about the 60's rambler closer in. If you're work schedule is 9:00 to 7:00, you'll be out of the house for at least 13 hours a day during the week from as far out as you're talking about. That would put a lot on any spouse, but particularly on a pregnant one...
I hear you - I'm not thrilled about the idea of being out of the house that long (especially when I have a kid!).

However, the age of the house is not the only issue - the price is, too. I could save $50K - $100K by living in Great Falls, cutting my mortgage between $300-$700/month. I wouldn't mind paying that difference to live in Vienna, but then throw on top of it that the houses need about $30,000 in repairs/upgrades/modernization and the numbers becoming mind numbing.

...I'm getting a headache...

Old 08-13-2008, 07:49 AM

8,635 posts, read 9,147,998 times
If I worked downtown I'd take metro.

Old 08-13-2008, 10:17 AM

15 posts, read 72,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arabellava View Post
arabellava is right - Great Falls is part of Fairfax Co whereas the schools you mentioned are part of Sterling, which is Loudoun Co. I think the zip code 22066 is primarily Great Falls in Fairfax County, but does extend some into Loudoun Co, as well, and I think that the hour to hour and half commute times from the Hill are definitely reasonable estimates.

Old 08-13-2008, 10:26 AM

1,261 posts, read 6,107,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlpicardq View Post
I hear you - I'm not thrilled about the idea of being out of the house that long (especially when I have a kid!).

However, the age of the house is not the only issue - the price is, too. I could save $50K - $100K by living in Great Falls, cutting my mortgage between $300-$700/month. I wouldn't mind paying that difference to live in Vienna, but then throw on top of it that the houses need about $30,000 in repairs/upgrades/modernization and the numbers becoming mind numbing.

...I'm getting a headache...
If you are willing to consider a Colonial built in the 1980s and in descent shape, have you looked at areas in Fairfax County (e.g., Burke (22015), Middleridge (22032), Kings Park West, etc.)? You may still have an hour commute, but you have the option of public transportation (VRE or driving to metro). The neighborhoods are safe, family-friendly, have many amenities for children and the schools are very good.

Old 08-13-2008, 03:57 PM

I've looked at Burke, but not "Middleridge" (never heard of it).

I'm considering Annandale, but it seems that the prices are a little over-inflated? They're listed for $70K+ over assessment. Is that typical of that area or is it just bubble-proof? I'm curious because there's no shortage of homes for sale in the Annandale zip code.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia