Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-27-2009, 09:12 AM

208 posts, read 1,219,632 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmycrapcorn View Post
I want to know if anyone else has noticed this. I find the DC area and Northern Virginia in general to be pretty much the strangest coldest place I have ever lived. People dress like they've got big money in the city, but no one talks and nobody makes eye contact. Metro stations can be full of people who aren't talking, and the packed yet silent trains are eery sometimes. Everyone seems afraid of everyone else. I've noticed neighbors don't wave when you pass by. I have a Jeep, and nobody out here does the Jeep wave either. Everyone is an avoider unless they're in safe groups and I'm not sure what it's all about. People look right at you or start talking in other cities. Around here strangers seem really really uncomfortable if you try to say hello without provocation. Am I missing something? This is like living in an antisocial Stepford community.

I don't think this is a generalization, I think job opportunities aside, as far as human contact goes this feels like a bad place to live. I would LOVE to hear some opinions on why it's like this.. Too many foreign embassies, too much Intelligence, Miltary.. Too many CIA and FBI people? What?? What is WRONG with DC?
No you’re absolutely right NOVA in general sucks. I lived in the area for almost my whole life, people there seem like zombies, most of not all of the kids in Loudoun for that matter are almost programmed it seems. The only place that kind of has it some what right is Alexandria.

Another thing ive noticed over time is that nobody in NOVA is actually from Virginia. On an average when I was in Northern va (4 months ago) out of 10 cars I would typically see 4 NJ plates, 2 NY plates, 2 MA, 2 VA plates. Then the next light if you are lucky you’ll see a couple NC, and ive even saw allot of SC, AL plates. I don’t even know what to make of the whole area, I know i dont want to permanently settle down in NOVA id die of stress.

Old 02-27-2009, 09:17 AM

208 posts, read 1,219,632 times
I mean seriouslly I dont even consider NOVA really part of Virginia for allot of reasons. I dont even know what the h*** I would classify NOVA as Southern New Jersey, or Southern Maryland?

Old 02-27-2009, 09:15 PM
NSX

877 posts, read 2,173,741 times
Thank God I'll be moving out of NOVA and headed to Florida soon. By far the worst area I've lived. Expensive, crowded, self absorbed, angry people.

Everyone there would always tell me how wonderful the area was, and how lucky I was to be located there, but I just didn't see it.

Old 02-27-2009, 09:22 PM

3,650 posts, read 9,526,737 times
Flamingo - How come when I put forth friendliness - it is not really returned? I have met a lot of "aquaintances" not friends. - for example at both my sons schools I stand and chat with the other Moms and they always have a friendly hellow and goodbye for me and I am included in the conversations and all - but - it never goes any further - they never offer to have a cup of coffee or a playdate or anything. And - believe me - I am being nice and normal and charming - I really am - What am I doing wrong?

Old 02-28-2009, 04:48 AM

26,709 posts, read 41,868,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01va571 View Post
No you’re absolutely right NOVA in general sucks. I lived in the area for almost my whole life, people there seem like zombies, most of not all of the kids in Loudoun for that matter are almost programmed it seems. The only place that kind of has it some what right is Alexandria.

Another thing ive noticed over time is that nobody in NOVA is actually from Virginia. On an average when I was in Northern va (4 months ago) out of 10 cars I would typically see 4 NJ plates, 2 NY plates, 2 MA, 2 VA plates. Then the next light if you are lucky you’ll see a couple NC, and ive even saw allot of SC, AL plates. I don’t even know what to make of the whole area, I know i dont want to permanently settle down in NOVA id die of stress.
Actually, i live in Northern VA now and consider myself a native Virginian (14 years in Norfolk, Hampton, and York Co). I do see your point though.

I do agree that Alexandria City is somewhat tolerable. Also Springfield, Woodbridge, and Franconia are okay. I'm very stressed out living here too. Hampton Roads may not be Mayberry but i was nowhere near as stressed out as I am now in NoVA.

Old 02-28-2009, 06:55 AM

4,423 posts, read 7,388,522 times
I lived there for 3 years and the people there are image conscious, power hungry workaholics. The first thing a person will ask is, "What do you do?" which means "How much power do you wield?" It's all about the power! Our neighborhood tried several times to get together but after three meet-ups, we were still wearing name tags and going around in a circle saying what it was we did for a living. People couldn't take the time to remember anyone's name but they could remember if you were a director of something important.

Old 02-28-2009, 06:57 AM

4,423 posts, read 7,388,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NSX View Post
Thank God I'll be moving out of NOVA and headed to Florida soon. By far the worst area I've lived. Expensive, crowded, self absorbed, angry people.

Everyone there would always tell me how wonderful the area was, and how lucky I was to be located there, but I just didn't see it.
NSX, you are living my life! I counted the days that I could leave Alexandria and move to Florida. Good luck and WELCOME TO FLORIDA!!!

Old 02-28-2009, 11:06 AM

26,709 posts, read 41,868,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NSX View Post

My sentiments exactly except i'm heading to the Louisville area.

Old 02-28-2009, 11:23 AM

938 posts, read 3,514,632 times
I spent a summer in NOVA myself. I agree...it is by far the coldest and unfriendliest place I've ever lived or visited. The people at work were fine and quite social, but in general the average Northern Virginian seemed to be very self-absorbed. People walked around in their own little worlds and never seemed to even acknowledge the presence of others. No one held the door for anyone else, and I never had a single random conversation with a person at a grocery store or on public transit. All of those things tend to happen to me in Austin quite often.

There were of course a few exceptions...I'd randomly talk to people at bars, and I did strike up a conversation with one guy while waiting for the Metro to arrive, as I commented on a KC Royals hat he was wearing. Despite the coldness of the area, there is an insane amount of things to do...all of the museums, nightlife, culture, and food in DC, and yet still close to the mountains, the beach, and New York City. I think a person could have years worth of different weekend trips living there. I had a LOT of fun in the summer I spent there, but I would never live there again simply because it is far too cold and stressful of an environment to live in. I'd rather not live my life in a work-rush-work-rush manner like many people there do.

Old 02-28-2009, 12:53 PM

1,605 posts, read 3,924,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OA 5599 View Post
I spent a summer in NOVA myself. I agree...it is by far the coldest and unfriendliest place I've ever lived or visited. The people at work were fine and quite social, but in general the average Northern Virginian seemed to be very self-absorbed. People walked around in their own little worlds and never seemed to even acknowledge the presence of others. No one held the door for anyone else, and I never had a single random conversation with a person at a grocery store or on public transit. All of those things tend to happen to me in Austin quite often.

There were of course a few exceptions...I'd randomly talk to people at bars, and I did strike up a conversation with one guy while waiting for the Metro to arrive, as I commented on a KC Royals hat he was wearing. Despite the coldness of the area, there is an insane amount of things to do...all of the museums, nightlife, culture, and food in DC, and yet still close to the mountains, the beach, and New York City. I think a person could have years worth of different weekend trips living there. I had a LOT of fun in the summer I spent there, but I would never live there again simply because it is far too cold and stressful of an environment to live in. I'd rather not live my life in a work-rush-work-rush manner like many people there do.
Aren't people in Austin supposed to be the opposite of those in the DC area?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia