Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2008, 10:59 AM

2,765 posts, read 8,327,010 times

Advertisements

The civilians working (especially the women) for the DoD are very UNHAPPY people. The politics in those places is horrible. Then after they retire, they talk about it how they got screwed over on their promotions. What I dont understand is why not QUIT your job if you're not happy!

Old 08-27-2008, 12:40 PM

2,021 posts, read 4,613,071 times
I echo what another poster said...happy hour(s) are the place to go. I've said it before, I'll say it again, I just don't see the evil and anti-social behavior that many claim exists in this area. I moved from small town WV where everyone is allegedly friendly and I had no problem whatsoever transitioning. In fact, I like the people up here far more than my former home.

I hear quite a few references to the Metro and not seeing happy people there. You aren't going to find overly friendly people anywhere on the way to work in the morning, I know I'm not. I also hear about lack of friendliness at the grocery store. I'm sorry, but I don't want to know someones life story while I'm waiting to check out, especially since it is usually after a long day's work.Not to say that I've never exchanged a few friendly words at the store, but I'm not going to seek out a conversation in the produce aisle.

I'm not saying people in the DC area are 100% happy and sunny 24/7 and yes there is a certain apsect of materialism, but that exists everywhere. People aren't just going to walk right up to and ask to be friends here (or in most places) either, you need to be somewhat outgoing as well.

Old 08-27-2008, 01:06 PM

41 posts, read 140,580 times
We just moved to Alexandria last month and we've had a dozen neighbors come over with welcoming gifts to come say 'hi' and meet us. My wife and I have both lived in the area for pretty much our whole lives and haven't had much of that happen before, its been very welcoming.

Old 08-27-2008, 01:18 PM

33 posts, read 119,182 times
Please stop confusing NOVA with Virginia, they are two different animals that just happen to share a border.

Once you get out of 'the City' and outside the Beltway things change quite a bit.

That's one reason I like this area. A short subway ride to the Mall, a reasonably short trip to either the mountains or the shore. In 20 minutes I can be either in 'Farm Country' or at the Capitol Building. (Unless it's rush hour, then it's two hours)

All of the benefits of a metropolitan area, with great hunting, fishing, camping and a lot of great scenery just a short trip away.

Also, when I need to get re-grounded and back in touch with how good I have it here, a trip to New York is just a short train ride.

Old 08-27-2008, 01:19 PM

13,648 posts, read 20,770,890 times
Nobody does the Jeep wave? WTF is that? And nobody chats in the Metro? Are you serious? The Metro is where commuters gather to go to and from work. Its not a BBQ or a beach party.

With all due respect, I think you need to rexamine things in a more realistic light.

Old 08-27-2008, 01:36 PM

2,309 posts, read 2,313,517 times
I live in Ashburn and am a stay at home mom, so maybe I am missing something, but I find this area very friendly. I am very outgoing and make it a point to say hello to people and to give eye contact...when I do that I find most people have to respond back, even if they don't want to. Ashburn itself is very kind and friendly, very family oriented.
One thing to remember is this is a tough time for a lot of people...people who got in over their head are having a hard time making ends meet so that doesn't make for the most friendliest of people. Give someone the benefit of the doubt...that person who didn't wave may have just had someone die in their life, that person who didn't say hello back may be heading into foreclosure and that person who is just downright rude may be just that-it takes all kinds. I don't think you can blame a particular area...I have lived in many places over the last 6 years and I used to think things would be different in the next city or town, but they are not. There are rude people everywhere and nice people everywhere. Try adjusting your glasses and seeing the good instead of the bad. (ANd I mean that in the nicest way!)

Old 08-27-2008, 02:02 PM

33 posts, read 119,182 times
"Whenever you think the grass is greener on the other side of the fence remember, there's probably someone on the other side looking at YOUR lawn."

Old 08-27-2008, 02:29 PM

2,437 posts, read 8,181,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmycrapcorn View Post
I want to know if anyone else has noticed this...
I noticed it too when I lived there, and, like you, I received many personal insults when I started a thread on this forum about it.

Old 08-27-2008, 03:04 PM

15,143 posts, read 27,769,264 times
I don't know - I talk to everyone, I'm pretty outgoing and friendly. I chat w/someone in the grocery, a cashier, bus driver, someone on the Metro, etc. I don't usually get a cold shoulder (except for some of the DASH bus drivers, some are very rude). Maybe it's in how you come off? (You, not meaning the OP personally - I just mean in how a person attempts an interaction).

I do agree though that it's hard to befriend people - We don't have children, folks that we made friends w/when younger now have families and totally different lives, singles tend to be younger, couples our ages are hard to meet. That can be kind of sad, I still mostly contact my old PA friends and I've lived here for over 20 yrs.

Old 08-27-2008, 03:20 PM

2,825 posts, read 6,890,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinmma View Post
I live in Ashburn and am a stay at home mom, so maybe I am missing something, but I find this area very friendly.
I agree. I'm a SAHM and have lived here 2 months-LOVE IT!- I also try to involve myself in social groups at Church, etc..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia