Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-13-2009, 08:20 AM

187 posts, read 443,646 times

Advertisements

Wouldn't it be fun to take a trip to Richmond with Richmonder27 and 01va571 so they can duke it out on why it is or isn't a nice city? Sounds like its field trip time! Hehe...

Really though, most American cities offer nice affluent areas and ghettos; so why all the bantering back and forth? We all know this! =)

Old 03-13-2009, 09:51 AM
NSX

877 posts, read 2,172,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by busymommy3 View Post
Wouldn't it be fun to take a trip to Richmond with Richmonder27 and 01va571 so they can duke it out on why it is or isn't a nice city? Sounds like its field trip time! Hehe...

Really though, most American cities offer nice affluent areas and ghettos; so why all the bantering back and forth? We all know this! =)
True, almost all major cities have extreme ghettos and extravagant wealth within miles of each other. Except for Detroit, which is mostly just all ghetto (I still love the place though).

Back on the topic at hand, NovA. Even though NoVA doesn't really have any ghettos, in a strange way that might be one of the reasons that I don't like it. It just doesn't seem to have any soul.

Old 03-13-2009, 09:53 AM

2,765 posts, read 8,339,835 times
That's because a lot of people here come from the middle of Pennsylvania, and are suddenly struck by the big city atmosphere. Then suddenly complain and point out things that have been going on for a long time

Old 03-13-2009, 12:37 PM

56 posts, read 111,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VRE332 View Post
That's because a lot of people here come from the middle of Pennsylvania, and are suddenly struck by the big city atmosphere. Then suddenly complain and point out things that have been going on for a long time
VRE332, I must disagree with on this. Northern Virginia actually used to be mostly a rural place until around the 1960s.

Now if you think this big city feel is so awesome, just go out into Washington D.C. and see the immense problems the African-Americans are suffering.

I go to school in Prince William County(the very rich west part) and people there are very snobby. My classmates expect me to have facebook, myspace, a driver's license, a care-free atitude towards life. People there(especially) young people want everyone to be similar.

Where I live, I have noticed on those bus rides in the afternoon and morning, how mudane and reptitive the architecture and housing here is. Everything is the same.

Not only that, there is plenty of green space in NOVA but it is slowly being taken over by sprawl and yuppie havens.

Those civil war battlefields are being squeezed in by this big-city feel that only as usual in human history revealing the evils of transforming from a rural area to a fast, go go urban area.

Old 03-13-2009, 07:28 PM

26,701 posts, read 41,820,547 times
Quote:

Actually i want to go on that trip to take Richmonder to Hampton and show how much better it is than Richmond.

Old 03-13-2009, 09:12 PM

367 posts, read 1,287,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanboy395 View Post
Actually i want to go on that trip to take Richmonder to Hampton and show how much better it is than Richmond.
I agree so much with what you are saying. I'd actually prefer Hampton over Nova if DC didn't neighbor Nova. You can't beat proximity to the Atlantic Ocean, and Outer Banks next door.

Hampton area does have kind of a vacation feel to it. Very laid back. I just wish it was much more urban.

Old 03-15-2009, 04:32 PM

208 posts, read 1,219,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanboy395 View Post
Ohhhhhhh burn!

Old 03-15-2009, 04:35 PM

Quote:

Yeah I know every city has ghetto's, thats why I posted up a couple nice pics too so you can get the entire atmosphere of the city. You have to look at the bad with the good, its not all pretty.

Old 03-15-2009, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by popalnet View Post
I agree so much with what you are saying. I'd actually prefer Hampton over Nova if DC didn't neighbor Nova. You can't beat proximity to the Atlantic Ocean, and Outer Banks next door.

Hampton area does have kind of a vacation feel to it. Very laid back. I just wish it was much more urban.
OBX is in my top 5 favorite area's. I would pick Hampton over Nova anyday.

Old 03-15-2009, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrekRockStar View Post
VRE332, I must disagree with on this. Northern Virginia actually used to be mostly a rural place until around the 1960s.

Now if you think this big city feel is so awesome, just go out into Washington D.C. and see the immense problems the African-Americans are suffering.

I go to school in Prince William County(the very rich west part) and people there are very snobby. My classmates expect me to have facebook, myspace, a driver's license, a care-free atitude towards life. People there(especially) young people want everyone to be similar.

Where I live, I have noticed on those bus rides in the afternoon and morning, how mudane and reptitive the architecture and housing here is. Everything is the same.

Not only that, there is plenty of green space in NOVA but it is slowly being taken over by sprawl and yuppie havens.

Those civil war battlefields are being squeezed in by this big-city feel that only as usual in human history revealing the evils of transforming from a rural area to a fast, go go urban area.
In a nutshell, this is very accurate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia