Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-23-2009, 05:30 AM

32,626 posts, read 77,801,084 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by roanoker 4 View Post
Would you be friendly?
Yes. Despite the fact that people on this forum think I'm a jerk because I don't go "Viva la sprawl!!!" I am the type of person to hold doors for people, smile and wave as I drive by neighbors, and will greet you with a "Good morning" or "How ya doin'?" as I pass you on my runs. If I can bring a smile to someone else's day and make their moods just a tad brighter, then it makes me even happier! Life's too short to be miserable!

Old 08-07-2009, 09:42 PM

156 posts, read 559,582 times
Tom Lennox, you have good posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by roanoker 4 View Post
I think people are getting more unfriendly everywhere in America, not just in the larger cities. Our lives are more stressed out than every before, raising kids is now almost impossible unless one is well off, America is deteriorating so rapidly politically and economically it is frightening. There is no more "American Dream", its now the "American Nightmare". Socially, there is too much diversity, too many nationalties, too many lifestyles, too much "instant gratification" and waaaaaaaaay too much consumerism.
Lets face it folks, we are not the one big happy proud family we once were.
I don't know what the answer is and I don't believe its going to church but America is in serious trouble on every level. Would you be friendly?
I agree...

Old 08-08-2009, 07:20 PM

274 posts, read 711,173 times
Funny you should mention that. My neighbor was telling me that a lady driving through the neighborhood needed some information and stopped to ask a question. They got into a lengthy conversation and the lady says "Where did you come from?" (not of this state?). I will say that I was back in Ohio (where I grew up) recently, and strangers tend to chit-chat in elevators and such, but it's not very substantial ... just friendly.

We do the Jeep wave *and* the Harley wave, and we live in the burbs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmycrapcorn View Post
I want to know if anyone else has noticed this. I find the DC area and Northern Virginia in general to be pretty much the strangest coldest place I have ever lived. People dress like they've got big money in the city, but no one talks and nobody makes eye contact. Metro stations can be full of people who aren't talking, and the packed yet silent trains are eery sometimes. Everyone seems afraid of everyone else. I've noticed neighbors don't wave when you pass by. I have a Jeep, and nobody out here does the Jeep wave either. Everyone is an avoider unless they're in safe groups and I'm not sure what it's all about. People look right at you or start talking in other cities. Around here strangers seem really really uncomfortable if you try to say hello without provocation. Am I missing something? This is like living in an antisocial Stepford community.

I don't think this is a generalization, I think job opportunities aside, as far as human contact goes this feels like a bad place to live. I would LOVE to hear some opinions on why it's like this.. Too many foreign embassies, too much Intelligence, Miltary.. Too many CIA and FBI people? What?? What is WRONG with DC?

Old 08-10-2009, 01:21 PM

8 posts, read 13,368 times
I completely agree with the OP....No. VA is hands down the most unfriendly place I've ever lived...and I've lived all over the US. People here, in general, are full of themselves and for some reason feel "entitled". I've spent 7 years trying to debunk my theory...and just recently I stopped wasting my energy before I let this place turn ME into a B&^%&. It just is what it is.

Old 08-11-2009, 10:27 AM

59 posts, read 162,747 times
I lived in Houston most of my life. Despite running into the occasional clown, people there are more friendly to strangers. When I first moved to Alexandria 7 years ago it took some cultural adjustment to get used to NoVA. There isn't much idle chit-chat around here. Grocers in the grocery store will sometimes smile in the checkout line, but they won't often strike up a conversation or carry one if you strike up one. In my apartment complex (a very nice gated community of young working professionals) I always say hi to people when passing them. They often pretend they heard nothing and avoid eye contact. Sometimes they will make eye contact and smile a little but say nothing.

It's just the way things are here. It's an area full of transient, high paid, stressed out professionals who only want to zip from point A (home) to point B (work) and then zip to point C (bar, home in front of the TV, leisure activity) to blow off steam. People here are very nice and friendly when you catch them during leisure time, but while in transit or at work, most people just want to be left alone.

Old 08-11-2009, 10:57 AM

34 posts, read 39,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmycrapcorn View Post
I want to know if anyone else has noticed this. I find the DC area and Northern Virginia in general to be pretty much the strangest coldest place I have ever lived. People dress like they've got big money in the city, but no one talks and nobody makes eye contact. Metro stations can be full of people who aren't talking, and the packed yet silent trains are eery sometimes. Everyone seems afraid of everyone else. I've noticed neighbors don't wave when you pass by. I have a Jeep, and nobody out here does the Jeep wave either. Everyone is an avoider unless they're in safe groups and I'm not sure what it's all about. People look right at you or start talking in other cities. Around here strangers seem really really uncomfortable if you try to say hello without provocation. Am I missing something? This is like living in an antisocial Stepford community.

I don't think this is a generalization, I think job opportunities aside, as far as human contact goes this feels like a bad place to live. I would LOVE to hear some opinions on why it's like this.. Too many foreign embassies, too much Intelligence, Miltary.. Too many CIA and FBI people? What?? What is WRONG with DC?

Never noticed that and Ive lived here since 1990. I find people her very friendly and the place a melting pot. My neighborhood the people interact very well, we cook out play with the kids in the street and parks and interact very well.

Old 08-11-2009, 01:30 PM

1,652 posts, read 3,888,975 times
It's kinda hard to take the OP seriously with a name like his (hers?).

Old 08-14-2009, 08:03 PM

754 posts, read 1,742,969 times
lol I can't believe this thread is still going a year later ...guess I just put it back on the first page

Old 08-14-2009, 09:03 PM

722 posts, read 1,985,609 times
Hahaha, it's like a zombie, always coming back to life to eat our brains.

On my walk home from Giant today (all of half a mile) I was stopped twice by strangers who wanted to chat. Granted, I had two cute kids with me and that usually helps - makes me seem more approachable, and gives people something to talk about with me - but still. In fact, I don't think I went for a walk a single day this week when I didn't end up involved in a conversation with a stranger. And I'm not very talkative. It's hard to believe that everyone here is unfriendly when I can barely get home from the store without social interaction

Old 03-07-2011, 05:57 PM

2 posts, read 2,779 times
I agree i am out of here soon
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia