Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2012, 07:26 AM

2,189 posts, read 3,326,371 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMUAlum08 View Post
I spend a lot of time out in San Diego where my family lives. The culture is quite different and most people work to live and actually enjoy their lives outside of work. Its not the rat race that DC is. Sure there are some narcissistic and "self important" people there, but the overall percentage is much lower than here in the DC area. Plus they have beaches and beautiful weather year round. Its actually quiet the opposite lifestyle that we have created for ourselves here in DC. You should check it out sometime.
How do you know these 'unfriendly' people in NOVA don't enjoy their lives outside of work? Do you hang out with them at home and witness this? I'm not saying San Diego doesn't have a different mentality but you're assuming alot about people here. I think alot of times busy/distracted is mistaken for unfriendly/self-important.

Old 06-21-2012, 07:27 AM

7,670 posts, read 14,290,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joke Insurance View Post
What is up with people who stop two-three car spaces behind an actual car at a traffic light? Don't be such a wanker; move up!

I'm a little puzzled when I see a reply I've made has been deleted by a mod for being off topic (not unfriendly though) yet you'll see many other off topic responses.

Old 06-21-2012, 07:30 AM

7,670 posts, read 14,290,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
That ranks right up there with Godzilla. All you are doing is impeding the flow of trafiic.
No you're not. As long as you can accelerate in time or it is not a short distance between lights then big deal? I taught both of my kids and my wife to leave a big enough gap, when possible, to move quickly in an emergency.

Old 06-21-2012, 07:52 AM

2,527 posts, read 3,430,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FCNova View Post
How do you know these 'unfriendly' people in NOVA don't enjoy their lives outside of work? Do you hang out with them at home and witness this? I'm not saying San Diego doesn't have a different mentality but you're assuming alot about people here. I think alot of times busy/distracted is mistaken for unfriendly/self-important.
We have known several people who work for tech companies or government agencies and travel around the country (including NoVA). Each one of them said that from their experience, their employees in NoVA were the most difficult to work with/most arrogant and least talented, yet felt they were entitled to the promotions and pay raises. Everyone is allowed to have their own opinion.

While there are a few people who manage to remain thoughtful and unpretentious in NoVA, the overall culture there practically forces residents to be assertive and wary so that others don't take advantage/walk all over them.

Old 06-21-2012, 08:53 AM

2,189 posts, read 3,326,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fern435 View Post
We have known several people who work for tech companies or government agencies and travel around the country (including NoVA). Each one of them said that from their experience, their employees in NoVA were the most difficult to work with/most arrogant and least talented, yet felt they were entitled to the promotions and pay raises. Everyone is allowed to have their own opinion.

While there are a few people who manage to remain thoughtful and unpretentious in NoVA, the overall culture there practically forces residents to be assertive and wary so that others don't take advantage/walk all over them.
You quoted my post but didn't answer the question I posed. How do you or the poster I responded to know that people here don't enjoy their lives outside of work as much as people in other areas? Ever heard of work hard play hard?

I've lived here my whole life and all the family and friends I've grown up with are still here. We are very friendly people and if the area really was full of rude pretenious people we'd be long gone. I think most complaints of the area come from people who move here, and just can't adapt to the pace or other negatives(traffic). If you get past that the area has a ton to offer but the great thing about this country is for the people who can't, there are endless places to relocate to.

Old 06-21-2012, 09:45 AM

1,783 posts, read 3,899,571 times
Taking note of common personality traits is one thing. But pretending like you know someone's level of happiness or satisfaction based on cursory experiences is a massive stretch. And besides, if you want to get into lumping people into stereotypical groups so we can feel better about ourselves, I will take the arrogant educated DC area residents over the uneducated and humble ignorant masses that make up a large portion of this country.

Old 06-21-2012, 09:54 AM

2,986 posts, read 4,591,312 times
Quote:
obviously i can't speak about everyone, but all of my friends are miserable working 50+ hours a week and constantly stressing about work even when they aren't at work. just from my experience living here for a very long time

Old 06-21-2012, 09:56 AM

2,986 posts, read 4,591,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fern435 View Post

exactly. some people seem to take it personally when NoVA is called out for what it is. FCNova, it sounds like you've just grown accustomed to this lifestyle and don't know any different. just my two cents.

Old 06-21-2012, 10:12 AM

2,527 posts, read 3,430,047 times
Quote:
You quoted my post but didn't answer the question I posed. How do you or the poster I responded to know that people here don't enjoy their lives outside of work as much as people in other areas? Ever heard of work hard play hard? I've lived here my whole life and all the family and friends I've grown up with are still here. We are very friendly people and if the area really was full of rude pretenious people we'd be long gone. I think most complaints of the area come from people who move here, and just can't adapt to the pace or other negatives(traffic). If you get past that the area has a ton to offer but the great thing about this country is for the people who can't, there are endless places to relocate to.
I do not claim to know each person's level of happiness in NoVA/DC, but from recent metro surveys I understand that the NoVA/DC area is purported to be the happiest place in the United States. Apparently Disneyland can no longer claim that title.

The impression I got from NoVA (after 6 years) is that most people are too busy and too inflexible to make friends outside their own little circle. In particular, I found most of the mothers to be extremely clique-y and backstabbing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoomBoxing View Post
Taking note of common personality traits is one thing. But pretending like you know someone's level of happiness or satisfaction based on cursory experiences is a massive stretch. And besides, if you want to get into lumping people into stereotypical groups so we can feel better about ourselves, I will take the arrogant educated DC area residents over the uneducated and humble ignorant masses that make up a large portion of this country.
Thank you for providing me with an example of the arrogant attitude. That's exactly what I mean.

Old 06-21-2012, 10:45 AM

19,198 posts, read 31,534,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMUAlum08 View Post
I spend a lot of time out in San Diego where my family lives. The culture is quite different and most people work to live and actually enjoy their lives outside of work. Its not the rat race that DC is. Sure there are some narcissistic and "self important" people there, but the overall percentage is much lower than here in the DC area. Plus they have beaches and beautiful weather year round. Its actually quiet the opposite lifestyle that we have created for ourselves here in DC. You should check it out sometime.
I have family in San Diego as well. I used to have more, but they couldn't stand it anymore and moved away. Far away. I myself have been many times. It's dry and brown there, not moist and green. They have sailors in the way that we have people with Masters degrees. They have Santa Ana winds and troublesome wildfires. If you have pets, you must deal with the fact that in the absence of winter, the fleas never die. People there are apt not to show up on time. They are apt not to follow through. They are apt to think that whether or not the surf is up is the most important thing that they can know about today. San Diego is chiefly a city for low-standard slackers, and it shows when you are out and about town there. If that's the sort of lifestyle you prefer, I can understand why you might find NoVa a little bit daunting.

Last edited by saganista; 06-21-2012 at 10:55 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia