Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2008, 04:41 PM

23 posts, read 100,899 times

Advertisements

Well out here in the country (in Leesburg) I was told when I moved here..... you are supposed to wave to everyone you pass when driving on an unpaved road. Works on every unpaved road around here except Sycolin (there are mainly commuters on that road). Come on out to the "country!"

Old 08-31-2008, 09:52 AM

2,737 posts, read 5,462,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEggman View Post
Something I've mentioned to friends 'up-North' is how a lot of people around here seem to ignore red lights and sirens.

One of the people from our NY office had trouble believing this until we saw an ambulance have to drive over a median and up the wrong side of Duke Street when drivers had both time and room to pull over.

I've also seen people pull around stopped school buses. That's happening fewer times now that bus drivers can call in the violators tag and the police give it a 'priority.'
I've noticed the same thing with sirens in particular. It's bizarre. I pull to the side when I hear a siren and even when they can see the oncoming ambulance or firetruck, idiots behind me PASS me on the left to get that extra one minute advantage, reducing the amount of space for the emergency driver and putting everyone at risk. Or, if the emergency vehicle is passing us from behind, other dopes behind you hurry and cut you off, rather than let people in front gradually merge back into traffic before taking their turn - again, to get that extra 20 seconds of advantage and win whatever "race" they think they're in. I would say this happens 95% of the time that I've encountered sirens. We have parking ticket happy police around here - so why don't I ever see these idiot drivers being pulled over and slapped with a HUGE fine?

Old 08-31-2008, 01:42 PM

1,473 posts, read 3,206,342 times
Coming from Maine where people "from away" constantly complain how aloof we are, Northern VA hasn't been bad at all. I haven't found the people around here unfriendly at all. I think, because of the transient nature of the many of the people that live here, there really is a greater acceptance of people from different places.

That being said, there is a much higher percentage of arrogant people here. There are five times the percentage of people here that just feel they are very special, very intelligent, very entitled to tell anyone else how they should be doing something. It could come from the high levels of education and wealth here. But it is very apparent to anyone moving here that sprinkled amongst all the friendly people are a bunch of very arrogant and unpleasant know-it-alls.

Since we tend to remember the exceptions, the tendency is to forget the majority.

Old 08-31-2008, 04:01 PM

33 posts, read 119,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bangorme View Post
... There are five times the percentage of people here that just feel they are very special, very intelligent, very entitled to tell anyone else how they should be doing something. ... But it is very apparent to anyone moving here that sprinkled amongst all the friendly people are a bunch of very arrogant and unpleasant know-it-alls.
They're called lawyers and politicians!

Old 08-31-2008, 09:03 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,173,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by walkingnoelle View Post
In complete agreement with Shauna and the original poster. Part of it is residual southern "hostility." Overall, the midwest, rockies and west coast just don't encourage that attitude. Whenever we go back to the west coast, my kids comment on how much friendlier people are to strangers in line, etc., than they are here in northern Virginia.

The classic reaction here when a person says this is an unfriendly area: the problem is you. It's all *your* fault you don't fit in (not their fault for having terrible manners to strangers)!

Maybe if I walked around with an ugly, sour peasant-hag look on my face like many women around here, then I wouldn't have so many problems fitting in. These are the most miserable-looking, angry people I've ever encountered.

Where are all the noVA rah rah cheerleaders? Touting services, protecting property values in wealthier areas...?
No joke there.

I am a Wash DC native who grew up in Silver Spring and Arlington but left for California 30 years ago.

As screwed up as SoCal may be............it was a 1,000% friendlier place than DC. Part of it is that I look like a stereotypical 'surfer' which works to my advantage here in Arizona as well

OTOH: I used to work with a guy in the Los Angeles area who had that 'gray' DC vibe; he was a Calif native and was looking forward to moving to the Wash DC area. This gentleman fould it hard to believe that I was from DC.

Side note: I noticed that the demarcation line for me while still in Arlington for friendlier people was Springfield----------I really liked the laid back attitude of Fredericksburg.

Home is where the heart is

Old 09-07-2008, 01:09 PM

50 posts, read 186,782 times
Am quickly coming to this realization...For the MOST part my neighbors feel it a chore to smile or raise a hand in greeting. Though our houses are almost on top of one another.

Not wanting to become friendly because that person might move, may have to be the lamest excuse for being unfriendly I've ever heard.

We are a military family and to me, when we make friends with our neighbors it's a bonus for us and for them. Wherever we move, they can come visit and when we're back in town, we can visit them...How hard is that. In today's transient society, not making friends with someone really hurts the entire community.

My present neighbors were friendly the first day, to get all the "411" on us and we've been here for 2 months now. Not a drink invitation, nada, nyet...nothing. It's like we are now invisible. If I'd known that, I would have looked elsewhere to live.

I've lived all over and only in VA...both Yorktown area and here have I seen this type of attitude. Quite sad really.

Old 09-07-2008, 03:17 PM

116 posts, read 446,900 times
Default Welcome to D.C.

The reason people don't make eye contact is that they are indeed afraid of one another. With good reason.

This is the region that spawned Cho Seung-hi and his shooting rampage that left 30+ people dead for no apparent reason. That is to say, life in this area made him hate humanity so much that he just wanted to inflict as much suffering as possible upon it.

Secondly, everyone here is concerned only with themselves and their own little lives. Living in their little yuppy bubble worlds of their small circle of friends and viewing everyone else as the enemy, or beneath them. Everyone here is insanely judgmental and thinks they are much better than everyone else.

Cheating, lying, and stealing are second nature to the denizens of D.C. After all, we look to our leadership for an example to follow. For decade upon decade we have seen nothing but self-serving and corrupt politicians.

They set the example, we peasants merely follow it.

If you want to treat everyone like dirt and think highly of yourself while doing it, though, this is the place to be.

Old 09-07-2008, 03:30 PM

116 posts, read 446,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazee8 View Post
I've lived in VA in my entire life, except for a brief stint in Oklahoma and Upstate NY. I grew up in the country in Western VA where no man ever held a door for me. I married the man that I met in OK that held the door for me and always insisted I go first. Snapped him right up!
Sounds like an idiot to me.

Chivalry is dead because women want it dead.

Women want to compete with men on an equal basis. So be it.

I don't hold the door and I steal the seat from old women on the metro even though I am a young, fit man.

Women have lost their fear of men and it is a disgusting development. Women are innately weaker than men and therefore rely on their good nature to protect them. That is the basis of chivalry.

You don't fear us and you want to compete with us on an equal basis. Ok, I just put 200 pounds over my head. Now it's your turn.

Oh, can't do it? Well, I guess I just took your seat on the metro as well because I'm bigger and faster than you.

Welcome to D.C.

Enjoy your stay .

Old 09-07-2008, 03:35 PM

1,570 posts, read 4,623,936 times
Default Roanoke

Move to Roanoke! The people are nicer, the traffic is better, and the houses are cheap. Too bad the jobs suck!

Old 09-07-2008, 05:13 PM

3,650 posts, read 9,515,046 times
ateo - Why so bitter? Life is what you make it. I agree that people here are cold here but there are also some wonderful people here - hard to find - but they are here. Have you tried to go to a church to get some peace? Not everyone is a rich yuppie know-it-all.

I am a woman and love to have the door open for me and all that other stuff. I am tough as nails but I also know a man will almost always be stronger than me - that is why I study martial arts and carry something to protect myself. Why do you hate women? Your Mom is a woman.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia